Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 7:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Drill to help defeat reach and superior footwork

This is my latest frustration in my boxing class. I'm up against someone who is a bit taller/has me reach than me, and knows how to use it to his advantage. He picks me apart with a jab, and sets up well for his power shots. I can get inside every once in a while, but everytime I do he manages to outmanuever me as soon as I could hit him with anything. Basically, I get destroyed by this guy over and over again.

Anyone got some tactics/drills I could utilize? I noticed he has a pattern of circling away from my jab towards my power hand whenever I slip his jab and move in. It seems he fears my jab more prolly because of the reach...but maybe I could utilize that to my advantage?

Trying to put more threads in here.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not really sure how he's slipping, but whenever I can predictably make someone move in one direction I'll get them circling that way, then fake the technique one more time and unload a hook or leg kick on the side they're moving towards.

Then again, the only time I really did this was when I was trying to knock the guy out. To be nicer you could try ducking and throwing the hook to the body, then an uppercut.

Correct me if I'm picturing this wrong.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 3:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Overcoming reach and superior footwork

So, there's a guy at my boxing gym that I just can't deal with. He's taller, has some reach on me, and knows how to use it. He likes to fire the jab to keep me at bay. My slipping skills just plain suck, my every once in a while I can get past his jab and try to get in on him. However, once I slip the jab, he circles to my right, avoiding my jab hand and once again we start the whole dance over about me trying to beat his reach.

So, in summary
    I can't slip
    My footwork sucks
    He circles towards my powerside

So yeah, I know the areas I need to work on, but anyone got any insight? Some specific drills? Some tactics?

Yeah sorry, just want some more threads in the striker forum.
    "Emevas,

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 3:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a thought. Move in even more. Keep it close.

You slip his jab, he moves around to your right. If I understand this correctly you should clinch and work on your low shots.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 3:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, the whole issue is moving in. I move in, he out manuevers me. If I clinch, the clinch is just gonna get broken and we'll be back to square one.

I'm asking if anyone can suggest any drills to help my manuevering.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 7:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An advice endorsed by the former all-loved modertor ronin:

Right overhead hook to overcome the jab of a taller oponent. Aim for his chin.

One of the vids in Kidspatula´s thread about women´s fighting clips had a nice KO with this technique (I think it´s called "one punch KO") it may be in the vidoes section too, I´m not sure.

I´ve tried this against a much taller partner in my kickboxing class. We both sucke as badly, so take it with a grain of salt, it kinda worked.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 10:31am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why are you trying to slip the jab? I usually parry or block the jab.

Stepping overhand right thrown to land as he's retracting his punch is good since he can't protect his face. Timing is very important here. Also as he jabs he also can't protect his body. And if he's taller, you should have a nice shot at his ribs/lungs/kidneys on that side. Time his jab and hit him OR throw your jab at him to get him to counter jab and that's when you throw hard to the body.

"I can't slip"

Practice, practice, and oh yeah, more practice. More specifically I will do nothing but sit with a double end bag for 10 rounds. I do it alot cause I'm shitty at slipping too.

"My footwork sucks"

Practice. Anything that specifically sucks? Work on that. For speed we do skipping - jumping as high as possible - works the legs real good.

"He circles towards my powerside"

That's a bad habit. Make him pay for it. Body shots right down the middle at the solar plexus are a good one, and if you can take his jab do it often.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh **** I forgot! If he's wanting to box you, you need aggression and combinations. Take him out of his boxing game and make it a brawl. :5wolverin

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 1:03pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Push the pace. Pin him against the ropes with aggression, and anticipate his move to your right with a right hook.

I am fond of just buttoning the defense up nice and tight and walking into the jab. Sooner or later he'll have to make a sidestep or pivot. Since you know he likes to move into your power hand, anticipate it and show him why it's called the "power hand."
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 2:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    You posted this in General BS too, so here's my post: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...543#post833543
    ****, I was wondering where my thread went. I swore I started it here. Thanks.

Jon: The reason I'm slipping the jab is that I'm trying to move in on him. If I just block/parry, it just means we stay at the range game again.
    "Emevas,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast