Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 10:21pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

toes hurt when passing the guard

Ok, today at our class we were reviewing passing the guard and into side control. I wish I had a pic to show since they are worth a thousand words, but I don't so screw it :P

Anyways, while breaking my opponent's guard, after I break, I manouver to have my hands locked around his legs, get up on my toes, lift my hips, pushing my weight to his legs driving them towards his chest, walk around and onto side control.

Problem was that somehow when I push my weight on his legs, I'm standing on my toes, and on that effort, for the first time, my right toe hurted like a bitch. I thought I pulled something... fortunately I did not. But the pain was too intense for a few minutes that I couldn't continue the drill.

Am I doing something wrong (.ie. standing on my toes)? Or is it something that I just have to suck it up until some sort of toe conditioning takes its course?

I'm attaching a pic showing the position of my toes (circled). The crappy looking arrow shows the direction in which I drive my bodyweight. Mind you that the shiho-gatame picture doesn't show the actual position I was in, but it's the best I have to show how my toes were in the first place.

Thanks.
    Attached Images  
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 10:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you may have ruptured your bursa

tape your toe and suck it up

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 10:39pm

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i just (yesterday) heard that is probably turf toe.

http://www.prorehabpc.com/library.asp?ID=37
    http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/toep...problems_5.htm

I did that too.

I'm trying to figure out what to do about it myself.

I don't know if "suck it up" is the right answer, as repeated stress on that injury can result in arthritis/joint damage.

But I don't know any preventative technique beyond taping (which I haven't myself tried yet).

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 10:59pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed- I think you damaged a bursae sac. Tape it up if you want to continue training. Its unfortunate, but you'll have to get used to small joint injuries like that if you want to grapple.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thousands of people actually live through turf toe every year by sucking it up, you know?

anyway, he doesn't have turf toe...you do

he probably ruptured the bursa between the proximal and middle falanges

your problem is between the metatarsal and proximal

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter
    you may have ruptured your bursa

tape your toe and suck it up
    ****! Hmmm, I gotta take it easy then. The pain is diminishing, and so far, I don't see any tenderness under my toe (where it connects to the foot). I'm not sure how much I should suck it up, though. My sis is a physical therapist, and she is going to have a fit... you know... sisters always want you to play safe and **** like that... the only good thing is that I don't have practice for the next 4 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by theraydiator
    I don't know if "suck it up" is the right answer, as repeated stress on that injury can result in arthritis/joint damage.
    If what I have is turf toe, this **** is not gonna go away with conditioning. I'm gonna ice it, and put some tiger balm. AND... I'm going to tape my toes from now on before practice. I'm already using a knee and an ankle brace (just in case), so toe tapping will be a new addition to my medkit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    Its unfortunate, but you'll have to get used to small joint injuries like that if you want to grapple.
    Yeah, I guess there is no choice :violent1: I guess what freaked me out was not the pain (even though it was acute), but the fact that it was unexpected, and didn't know what it was. I was like "what **** happened to my toe?"

btw, I just did a quick google on turf toe and tapping and I found this article on foot injures in Martial Artists : http://ejmas.com/pt/ptart_PKim_0100.htm - it says I need to tape my big toe to my second toe, so that's what I'm gonna do.

Other links describing toe taping are these:
    http://www.athleticadvisor.com/Injur...toe_taping.htm
    http://connection.lww.com/products/a...supplement.pdf

http://judoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3880#
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    don't do it

just tape them individually and get absorbine for horses

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:40pm

Style: taido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well this doesn't really matter so much for toe injuries because i say who gives a ****, but its good to know.
    Just in general, but especially for knee and ankle injuries, dont sleep on your stomach. likely this will put constant pressure on the front of the ankle joint (as your toes are pointed) and cause a restriction in your veins which is going to prevent proper removal of wastes and cause swelling. case in point: i had a small ankle injury about 5 days ago, cant even think of a time that i did it. That night was laying down on my stomach for a prolonged period and all the sudden my ankly hurts like all hell and wont move. WTF! well, just did standard R.I.C.E procedure and made sure to sleep on my side, gone by the next afternoon. actually the proper sleeping method for all athletes is on your side and switching sides during the night. anyways, just dont sleep on your stomach when you have a foot/knee injury.

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 6:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    don't do it
    You mean the super-duper taping described in one of the websites I listed? I was all pumped and ready with tape to go mummy-feet. :new_bdays
    just tape them individually and get absorbine for horses
    I guess I could get absorbine from a vet, right? And just out of curiosity since I don't know **** about these things... how would taping them individually would protect the toe from being over extended? I looked at the actual place where it hurted yesterday, and it does seem to be toe turf (or at least according to the diagrams I found on the web.)

On another note, tiger balm does wonders. My toe is a bit stiff, but there is no pain whatsoever :occasion1 I'm going to the gym... leg day, so I'll update this thread if the toe thing comes up while I work out.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had similar symptoms due to a broken toe. You'd know if that were the case though.

Same answer anyway. Tape it and suck it up.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast