Posted On:
    2/15/2006 11:01pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Comment - Same Side Counterattack

I was watching a K-1 kickboxing clip called "Zambidi vs. Masato."

In this clip, Zambidi loses by unanimous decision, but during the match, he had what looked like an effective counterattack strategy, so I wanted to get some feedback on it.

Every time Zambidi took a kick to a side, he immediately counterattacked with a body-hook on the same side. So if Masato kicked him with a right roundhouse, Zambidi would leg-check with his left, then slide in with a body hook.

I've been shown technique where you counterattack with the leg you blocked with, but never seen it done with body-hooks.

Comments?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 12:28am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zambidis is pretty short, so he often leads with a body shot, to force his opponent to open themselves up to a punch in the head.

software engineer

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 12:37am

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Steve
    I've been shown technique where you counterattack with the leg you blocked with, but never seen it done with body-hooks.

Comments?
    How do counterattack with checking leg?
    Do you check and immediately strike in with it?
    This seems weak.
    Or do you plant and then kick?
    This is slow.

What Zambidis does is sort of like a superman punch, in that he gets some momentum from setting down the checking leg. Pretty fast and strong.

I'm a little concerned that a taller opponent would get clocked on his way in, but Zambo seems small enough to get inside and throw this safely.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 12:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How I've been taught to leg-check and counter-kick is to check, then as the lead leg comes down, you push off of it forward slightly then as your rear leg shuffles in to catch up, you throw the lead leg for a roundhouse or a side kick, depending on where the opponent moved. You're right that it's relatively slow, but against a fighter who has a lag on the recovery or who overcommitted to the kick, it can do some damage.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 1:40am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Link please.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 7:58am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve

Here's one way to analyze this situation:

1) Best Solution: Leg check your opponent's round house kick, drop your front foot, knock your opponent out with a right cross.

2) Best Solution if you're short like Zambidis: Leg check your opponent's round house kick, drop your foot, body shot your opponent to make him drop his hands and/or height, knock him out with a right cross.

I wouldn't spend too much time prefecting your leg check-front leg kick combination since as you said, it only really works "against a fighter who has a lag on the recovery or who overcommitted to the kick." And as you begin to fight better and better opponents, you're going to find the effectiveness of this strategy diminishing, more and more.

Good luck!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2006 12:00pm

Style: Korean Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Steve
    How I've been taught to leg-check and counter-kick is to check, then as the lead leg comes down, you push off of it forward slightly then as your rear leg shuffles in to catch up, you throw the lead leg for a roundhouse or a side kick, depending on where the opponent moved. You're right that it's relatively slow, but against a fighter who has a lag on the recovery or who overcommitted to the kick, it can do some damage.
    This is pretty much how I have been taught as well. I will mess around a bit with this in class tonight and see if I can do something like it without getting rocked.

Posted On:
    2/20/2006 11:20am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j416to
    Steve

Here's one way to analyze this situation:

1) Best Solution: Leg check your opponent's round house kick, drop your front foot, knock your opponent out with a right cross.

2) Best Solution if you're short like Zambidis: Leg check your opponent's round house kick, drop your foot, body shot your opponent to make him drop his hands and/or height, knock him out with a right cross.

I wouldn't spend too much time prefecting your leg check-front leg kick combination since as you said, it only really works "against a fighter who has a lag on the recovery or who overcommitted to the kick." And as you begin to fight better and better opponents, you're going to find the effectiveness of this strategy diminishing, more and more.

Good luck!
    I completely agree with this. A particularly bad habit that most fighters have is that as they throw a rear leg roundkick, they tend to drop their rear hand. As the kick comes around, this becomes their lead hand. As it drops, their jaw is totally exposed from the front. Check the kick, drop your leg forward to get some momentum, straight right. KO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2006 11:32am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno
    I completely agree with this. A particularly bad habit that most fighters have is that as they throw a rear leg roundkick, they tend to drop their rear hand. As the kick comes around, this becomes their lead hand. As it drops, their jaw is totally exposed from the front. Check the kick, drop your leg forward to get some momentum, straight right. KO.
    not exactly the same as Steve's avatar picture, but close-
    guy throws the kick, drops lead hand.
    counter-attack big punch to the head (from same side as kick), KO.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    2/21/2006 8:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bit of a topic shift:

What do you guys think of training a fighter for their strong side to be the lead? Their jab and lead hook hand would be supah powahful.

Thoughts?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast