Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 1:25pm

Style: Boxing, TKD, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know it's off topic, but I'm wondering, is blocking realistic in real life? Can you actually block a punch or kick without having your bones blown to ****?
    Are you better off dodging/avoiding shots than attempting to block em?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 2:01pm

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have a general tactic other than to close the distance as soon as I can since my opponents are almost always bigger than me. If it goes to the ground I'm all ground and pound. I'm just not confident enough that a submission (besides a choke) would be a fight ender.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    I'm short (5'9)
    5' 9" is short now? Oh crap, I guess now I'm officially a midget.

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 2:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vik
    I know it's off topic, but I'm wondering, is blocking realistic in real life? Can you actually block a punch or kick without having your bones blown to ****?
    It depends, a weak haymaker thrown by a skinny punk skater? Yeah.

A well directed mega-cross by a enormous guy with gorilla muscles? YouŽd better step away.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ICY,
    I see what you mean with the aggressive striking style, but I don't completely understand your tactics. When you mention the front kick followed by a right and left "ad nauseum" are you saying you throw a repeated combo of kick-punch-punch, or is it one kick followed by a flurry of rights and lefts (which would make more sense)?

I have a very hard time against very aggressive strikers, or strikers that commit to an extended flurry, so I know the value of a solid offense. But I'm not a particularly good counter-puncher, so my somewhere in between style is probably the worst example of the three (counter/offense/middleground).

However there's a guy in our sparring group that uses the aggressive striking style you're talking about (but probably not as "angry" since it's a sparring group), and he's the only one that's been KO'd in our group. He gets knocked dizzy like once a week, or as he calls it, an "MMA TKO" (the type where a ref would probably step in and call the fight), and he was knocked unconcious once. He can put the new guys on their heels, but anyone with more experience than him (he's got about a year or two) is able to land a solid shot in the middle of his combos, because his "style" is too predictable. The first time I sparred with him, I didn't know he was that type of fighter, but was still able to knock him dizzy with a roundhouse kick.

The only aggressive strikers that I have a real hard time with are the ones that fire off their offense when the opening presents itself (mostly off of a feint, but sometimes off of a counter-punch). Of course I have no doubt that a skilled striker that just blasted off and started with a crazy offense would own me, I haven't seen many examples of a good solid striker blitz in like that.
    Last edited by Jaguar Wong; 1/06/2006 2:49pm at .
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I meant kick, then right-left punches, then elbows as I get in that range.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 3:03pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on amount of power behind the strike and where it's going for.

If it's weak strike, I'd block. If it's going to hit like a truck and if I can't parry or avoid with slip, duck or whatever...and it's going to land at my ribs or head...I think I'd rather get my arms mangled than hit like that to my head or my rib.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 4:55pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, I guess they don't realistically spar much at your gym eh?

You'd be surprised how much damage the human body can take especially when you are prepared.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 5:24pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd rather take a MT roundhouse to the arm than the head or ribs.
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 4:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One time, I fell on pavement, stuck my hands out in front of me, and stopped the on rushing hard surface from touching my face, my hands were a little bruised and scraped.

Another time, I fell on pavement, but had my hands inside my coat, and my teeth and nose took the impact, instead of my hands. They broke a little...

I prefer the bruises.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 5:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    One time, I fell on pavement, stuck my hands out in front of me, and stopped the on rushing hard surface from touching my face, my hands were a little bruised and scraped.

Another time, I fell on pavement, but had my hands inside my coat, and my teeth and nose took the impact, instead of my hands. They broke a little...
    You know falling down a lot is a sign you should maybe cut down on the old pakalolo.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast