Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    AMP: Feel the guy out...reach, speed, coordination, etc.
    ICY: Let's him do the same thing...besides which, my strategy is the same for everyone, so these things don't effect it.
    If you don't immediately go into guard, or change positioning, they don't get that much of an advantage until you do something. Remain passive and you can sidestep and manouver your opponent into a nasty counter.
    AMP: Draw the attacker into striking.
    ICY: I'd rather hit than be hit.
    Agreed. Legally, it's better to wait. But as you stated, that may not be something you necessarily worry about. Personally, I would ideally like my confrontations to look like perfect self defence, as there's a good likelyhood I'll be attending court for it.
    AMP: Catch your breath.
    ICY: If I have to do this, I've lost already.
    Agreed.
    AMP: Diffuse the situation (non-competitive)
    ICY: There is no diffusion, either I'm running, or I've been cornered, and then it's on, until somebody's unconcious.
    No subs?
    AMP: Stay within the law (non-competitive
    ICY: I try to focus on staying away from the law instead. Don't fight people that know you, don't wait for the ambulance, don't brag, all is well.
    Personally, not only would I be calling for local LEO's, but probably an ambulance as well. I would do this whether i was at work or not. But only if i won, in which case dude probably would need an ambulance, and who am I to deny that? If i lost, would he call one for me? Not likely, but in that case, he's an asshole.
    Last edited by Neildo; 1/05/2006 12:01am at .
    :new_all_c

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you guys both mean to tell me that you don't understand the significance of knowing where your opponent is going to attack (drawing)? And don't understand how that might work to your advantage?

And I'm just going to have to disagree w/ both of you regarding "always" taking the initiative. I've talked my way out of several situations and I've seen too many weapons pulled out of pants and boots to think that attacking is always right.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:56pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If this is regarding the response to #1, i just re-read my response and realized it makes no sense at all. Give me a few minutes and i'll fix it. (I'm trying to make tea right now....)

Done. Better? No? Rebuttal.
    Last edited by Neildo; 1/05/2006 12:03am at .

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Staying with just "boring" old competitive fighting for a bit...or even alpha male dominance contests....

Taking it to them vs. baiting really depends on the other guy and your own intuition. Last night I sparred with one guy, not in the clip, who was very hard to defend against. If I tried to bait I'd have a really hard time not getting hit BUT if I put any real aggressive forward pressure on him he crumbled pretty quick. But I've dealt with other guys who are really most open when they attack and keep a pretty tight defense. I can't say any tight rules of thumb but there are definately different types of opponents and they will react differently to the same strategy.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 12:41am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This certainly implies a competitive fight. You get knocked out in a life-threatening situation and you wake up w/ your nuts stapled to your leg...do you regret it?
    Not until I wake up, at which point, hopefully I'm in the hospital.

You'll think it effects you if you get a knife in your side while you are trying to punch him.
    Of course, but that's not a "feeling out" problem...he either has it in his hand when he corners me (in which case, obviously my first thought is avoiding the knife), or he doesn't, in which case I am not going to worry about whether he has one, I don't have time, and I don't want to give him time.

Me too...but the idea behind drawing someone into taking a swing at you is NOT to get hit and position yourself for an effective counter.
    I know, but I would still rather have control of where the fight is going than let someone else decide.

Again...a competitive example.
    No, really, either I win quick, or I'm probably not going to win.

And if the guy who corners you has a gun,
    Then I start praying.

or knife,
    Then I focus on the knife.

or is 6'10'' 360 pounds of muscle?
    Irrelevant to my striking tactic, if he's that much bigger, I NEED to force my way inside or I can do nothing to him.

Are you telling me that you don't consider diffusion a relevant tactic?
    Of course it is, but not when the time has come to fight. First, I diffuse, then I run, then, if I'm cornered and have literally no other option, I fight. But I'm not going to start fighting, then trust that I can talk sense back into someone once they've already lost it.

If you don't immediately go into guard, or change positioning, they don't get that much of an advantage until you do something. Remain passive and you can sidestep and manouver your opponent into a nasty counter
    I know, I just don't prefer that method.

Personally, I would ideally like my confrontations to look like perfect self defence, as there's a good likelyhood I'll be attending court for it.
    I wouldn't go to court over a self defence issue unless the cops caught me. Avoid, deny, avoid, deny.

No subs?
    Well...able to fight then, but my preferred sub in a real fight is always going to be a choke anyway.

But only if i won, in which case dude probably would need an ambulance, and who am I to deny that?
    If someone attacks me, I don't feel bad leaving them bleeding in a ditch...when they attempt to strip me of my rights, they forfeit theirs.

I can't say any tight rules of thumb but there are definately different types of opponents and they will react differently to the same strategy
    I used to think this way, but then I figured, this is MY strategy, and if I can impose it, it will work, if I can't then there's nothing that had a better chance of working. That isn't to say that I can't change my strategy during the fight, but going in, it's the same.

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 12:52am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    Well...able to fight then, but my preferred sub in a real fight is always going to be a choke anyway..
    What? No armbar action?

I'll go for the german suplex whenever I can. Drop that sucka right on his dome. Fo shizzle.
    If someone attacks me, I don't feel bad leaving them bleeding in a ditch...when they attempt to strip me of my rights, they forfeit theirs..
    Hmmm, yeah. I already agreed with you on this in another thread. I guess I'm just a nice guy.
    I used to think this way, but then I figured, this is MY strategy, and if I can impose it, it will work, if I can't then there's nothing that had a better chance of working. That isn't to say that I can't change my strategy during the fight, but going in, it's the same.
    Good point.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 2:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just like to end every combo with a kick, low, medium, high, whatever.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 2:59am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tend to just push the fight with aggression. I'm short (5'9), so I don't mess around with kicks much unless it's like a quick inside/outside leg kick to stop my opponents mobility. I like straight punches over hooks/uppercuts prolly as a result of doing TKD when I was younger, so typically some rapid fire 1-2s with an occasional left hook. This is usually a transitional point so that I can secure the clinch and fire some knees, just because I can typically bully and muscle my opponent in the clinch due to strength advantages.

However, my gameplan changes drastically if I'm fighting someone my height or shorter. I love my punches then. I typically overwhelm/overpower my opponent with combos. One of my favorite things to do is let my opponent get his guard up and just pound his hands into his face as hard as possible. It puts a scare in them and sends them reeling, wherein I follow them while they're off balance and launch some punch combos.

I favor boxing over kicks.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 9:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, this is intended for sparring in a pure striking art:

I like to kick the inside of the lead leg when they move towards me. Say, Im a little out of punching range, they stpe him to trhow the jaba and there goes the low kick to the inside.

For some reason i kick better with my left leg, being right-handed myself, so i mostly kick with that leg, usually to finish a combo. Also, most people ive sparred tend to be looking for rear leg kicks more than lead leg kicks, so usually my kick is more effective, at least it unbalances them.

I usually follow with the classic one-two, anf finish with a left hook, either to the head, or the middle section, whatever is less guarded at the time.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 10:44am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One word - Uppercuts.

they're hard to throw correctly so most people don't do it often so most people don't really know how to defend it.

Also, I suck at throwing uppercuts.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast