Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 8:01pm

Style: Brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Big Tony! Give it some time bro! I'm a wee bit hungry in the morning when I wake up after a big carbo dinner, but I have coffee and do my full range sit ups and push ups, then poop, shave, shower and get on with my day. I start to really feel it about 3:00 PM. So far I've either been going out for a plate of chicken wings or hitting a no carb EAS meal replacement shake (I got a great deal on a case of the powdered stuff). This works great on week days.

On weekends, if I don't stay busy or mentally\physically challenged, then I graze and pack on some pounds lost during the week. So 5 lbs off for the week, 3 lbs back on during the weekend. And I'm still 2 lbs lighter overall. Damn WD works!

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 9:57pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks everyone for your comments.

Today was the first day I trained on the WD.

I was fine while working on the thai pads, but about 20 minutes in, really started to get tired. Told my coach what I was doing, he told me to stop.

We then put on our MMA gloves and started to spar. The first time, I was good for about a minute or two, then just started seeing stars. Drank some Gatorade, went at it again, and almost passed out.

I also had no strength to do crunches. Did 20, and was shot.

I'm going to have to rethink this, and have some food during the day, even if it's a turkey sandwhich on wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 11:10pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Just an fyi, it was a 45 minute drive down to sunny isles to the restaurant. I was testy, and had an attitude. I started an argument with my friend, and even he was like, "We need to feed you, and I'm shutting up till we get there".
    When I have to cut weight ashly pretty much can't be around me, especially with food. There's nothing more terrible then starving for a week and watching someone else get to pig out while you sit in the resteraunt and sip on a water :( (but not to much water, because then you put the weight you lost in the sauna back on).
    Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 3/28/2007 12:17am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 8:13am

Style: Mauy Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Thanks everyone for your comments.

Today was the first day I trained on the WD.

I was fine while working on the thai pads, but about 20 minutes in, really started to get tired. Told my coach what I was doing, he told me to stop.

We then put on our MMA gloves and started to spar. The first time, I was good for about a minute or two, then just started seeing stars. Drank some Gatorade, went at it again, and almost passed out.

I also had no strength to do crunches. Did 20, and was shot.

I'm going to have to rethink this, and have some food during the day, even if it's a turkey sandwhich on wheat.
    Anthony, hopefully you got your book in the mail soon. There is a section in the WD book specifically for very active people and pro athletes allowing for a small amount of carbs during the day (oatmeal or rice n' eggs I think). I'm not doing any MA or MMA right now, but I'm still doing circuit training/heavy lifting 4 times/week so I know what it feels like to need energy. Just make sure that you're still having a lot of fruit and some lean protein during th day, and I think you'll be fine. Regards to the evening meal, its mostly "eat what you want" but in no way does the WD condone going to McD's (for example) and going all out. There are still some guidelines you have to follow, whithin them though, yes, you can go all out.

Example: during the day I had fruit and some cottage cheese. Afternoon I lifted heavy for 1hr. Came home. I didn't realize how hungry I was until I had dinner and, well, kept eating till I was full:
    Large bowl of salad (some sesame oil and balsamic vinegar)
    Grilled Chicken breast with sauteed green beans and wild rice
    was still hungry so I had some scrabled eggs
    was still hungry so I had a bowl of oatmeal
    still a bit hungry, finished off with a small protein shake.

Didn't realize till later, that's a shitload of food!

In the morning, I felt fine, I usually have 2 glasses of tea, and I'm off to class (with an apple, pear, banana, and some almonds) more alert then I have been in the past.

Cheers,

R

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There certainly are a lot of threads about nutrition kicking around now.

I don't know why more people don't check out John Berardi's Precision Nutrition ****.

It even has a fancy name too. Not quite as appealing as Warrior Diet to a martial arts board I guess but it doesn't sound as off base, to me, as this one keeps sounding.

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 3:40pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by A.D.D
    There certainly are a lot of threads about nutrition kicking around now.

I don't know why more people don't check out John Berardi's Precision Nutrition ****.

It even has a fancy name too. Not quite as appealing as Warrior Diet to a martial arts board I guess but it doesn't sound as off base, to me, as this one keeps sounding.
    Actually that's what I switched to after I gave the Warrior Diet a shot a while back. It's super easy to follow and I don't feel like a zombie when I workout in the evening (my morning workouts always were fine though). I've heard the Warrior Diet working for others, but I have to go the opposite approach: eat a big breakfast, a decent sized lunch and then only a little bit for dinner.
    Last edited by War Wizard; 3/28/2007 5:32pm at .
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 4:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't surprise me that the opposite works for some people, we're all different. I tried working out in the mornings, doesn't work for me. I'm much better in the late afternoon, and then my dinner is basically one huge recovery meal.

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 5:34pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, diet is one of those "different strokes for different folks" kinds of things. There a lot of diets that work per se, but the important thing is finding one that works for you.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 8:10am

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well itís day 5 of my portion of the Warrior Diet experiment. Iíd give it a thumbs up so far. Since itís only been a week I canít really comment on its effectiveness for weight loss, although I have dropped a couple pounds since starting the diet.

Iím interested in what others are consuming during the undereating phase. My average day has consisted of:
    9-12 baby carrots
    Ĺ cup of berries
    2-3 cups of coffee
    1 banana or apple

Positives:
    Eating the foods of my main meal in a certain order was a bit strange at first; but it was far from being a difficult adjustment to make. Iím still not sure that I buy the reasoning behind it though.

Even with the huge evening meal, my daily caloric intake is lower than normal without it feeling like Iím starving myself.

The Warrior Diet has pushed me into consuming more fruits and vegetables since thatís about all that one is allowed to graze on during the day.

I canít return to training until April 3rd at the earliest, so Iím still not sure how it will affect my energy level on the mat. Other than that, Iíd say that Iíve had an overall increase in my energy levels.

Negatives:
    It seems like I'm peeing all the time during the day.

The last 2 hours before my meal are the worst because Iím often home at that time and thereís plenty of food available.

I become VERY irritable in the last hour before mealtime. It gets exponentially worse if I have to wait longer than expected.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2007 9:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually have pears, bananas, mangos. Some cottage cheese as low fat protein. Since I work out a lot, I'll have a protein shake during the day also. That usually holds me over till my workout. Since I'm on an empty stomach, and slightly hungry during my workout I 'feel' more aggressive and my workouts have been more productive (although this could be purely psychological). Have a small protein shake right after your workout before your evening meal. Might stop you being irritable.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast