218358 Bullies, 7283 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What is your PRIMARY reason for training (clarifications of choices in first post)?

Voters
558. You may not vote on this poll
  • To be a competitive sport fighter

86 15.41%
  • To be a non-competitive sport fighter

35 6.27%
  • To be a non-competitive fighter

47 8.42%
  • To be a weapon based fighter

10 1.79%
  • Self Protection/Self Defense

151 27.06%
  • Fitness

66 11.83%
  • Cultural/Historical reasons

8 1.43%
  • Fun/Comradery

80 14.34%
  • Other

29 5.20%
  • I canít choose a primary reason

46 8.24%
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 12:10pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kinda have to. I get sick and all my old injuries start up when I'm not training. I'm an addict; I call my instructor my "dealer".
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    I kinda have to. I get sick and all my old injuries start up when I'm not training. I'm an addict; I call my instructor my "dealer".

LOL. When people ask me why I do such things to myself, I've always said my reason was "Habit."

My teacher used to say MA was a stronger drug than crack.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Yeah, something like that happens to me if I don't train or work out. I get cramps on my legs, feel restless and can't sleep well unless I work out... I wonder if that's normal :icon_tong
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 12:53pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    can't pick.

I want to beat on people, I want to get in shape while beating on people, I want to beat on people with more skill, I enjoy hanging out with others that like to beat on people, and one day I'd like to enter a full-on MMA comp to beat on people.

Also I wanted to see how much punishment I could take.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 12:59pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ego boost of making people tap in tournaments = also a factor. ANd I like being able to defend myself. And I have a Red Sonja complex, so I need to be a good fighter, to ensure that my eventual mate will make strong, warrior babies.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!
  6. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 12:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I said fun because I can't come up for any better reason than "because I want to."
    First signed up KP2 and watched everybody for a year. Slowly got hooked. It is my hobby. If I stubble across any combat sport on TV and I instantly become glued to the set. Fencing, Sumo, Judo, Boxing, etc. etc. it doesn't matter what it is.

If it was just for Self Defense, I would just buy a gun instead. If it was just for exercise, I would go to the gym and/or run.

If someday I actually defend myself because of what I've learned, it will just be a good side effect of how I choose to spend my time.

Actually, with my BJJ tourny record, I could say that I'm a sport fighter that isn't very competitive. :llorar:

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 1:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm frequently around dangerous individuals. Plus, I'm hardwired to be protective of my loved ones, more than my own well being. I would pull a Gandalf for sure.

So, self defense is my primary motivation.
    ďWe are surrounded by warships and donít have time to talk. Please pray for us.Ē ó One Somali Pirate.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 1:03pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I put fun. I don't even know why it's fun; it's just the confluence of a bunch of factors, such as general fitness, an outlet for my high energy and the ongoing challenge. On an emotional level, I gain confidence and a sense of autonomy, as well as the ability to suck up pain and hardship. On an intellectual level, it's creative, involved and the one pursuit that keeps me focused longer than any other. Self-defence is important, but not paramount, as I haven't been in a real fight in something like 10 years.

If I were to put everything into one neat little package, though, I'd say this: Martial arts is about shutting your mouth and simply performing. Theories, posturing and even the most eloquent speeches all fade away when you get on the mats. For me, this is profoundly refreshing.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 1:15pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I listed SD. Even though I don't train striking nearly enough, I want to be able to protect my family should the need arise. Since I don't carry a gun and was a wrestler, I chose a MA that emphasizes my pre-existing strengths.

Also I used to get beat up a lot when I was younger. As a kid, a smart mouth and a small stature was not a good combination for me.

Edit: I agree with Mr. Mantis, Gandalf all the way.
    Shut the hell up and train.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    I'm frequently around dangerous individuals. Plus, I'm hardwired to be protective of my loved ones, more than my own well being. I would pull a Gandalf for sure.

So, self defense is my primary motivation.

That is a question I wanted to ask you, Sam, and the others. Do you have stories of very unfuly clients that you had to defend yourself against? If so can you start a thread on it?
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast