226187 Bullies, 3913 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What is your PRIMARY reason for training (clarifications of choices in first post)?

Voters
558. You may not vote on this poll
  • To be a competitive sport fighter

86 15.41%
  • To be a non-competitive sport fighter

35 6.27%
  • To be a non-competitive fighter

47 8.42%
  • To be a weapon based fighter

10 1.79%
  • Self Protection/Self Defense

151 27.06%
  • Fitness

66 11.83%
  • Cultural/Historical reasons

8 1.43%
  • Fun/Comradery

80 14.34%
  • Other

29 5.20%
  • I canít choose a primary reason

46 8.24%
Page 1 of 25 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What is your PRIMARY reason for training (clarifications of choices in first post)

This poll has grown out of a number of discussions that have been taking place lately across Bullshido. For example, Aesopian posted an excellent critique of BJJ self defense and acknowledged that he was training for competition rather than SD. This got me wondering about the makeup of posters on Bullshido. Hereís the deal, everyone should have a primary reason for training martial arts. This may not be the only reason why you are doing it, but it is your overall driving motivation for going to class/hitting the gym/etc. Be honest, what is it?

To be a competitive sport fighter Ė you are training with the expressed desire to compete in some form of amateur or pro competitive circuit. Your goal is to compete, but not necessarily be the next Bas Rutten.

To be a non-competitive sport fighter Ė you donít plan on competing but you think that training in a sport based martial art (Judo, BJJ, MMA, etc) is still the way to go and would rather train at a school with a proven fight record.

To be a non-competitive fighter Ė you donít plan on competing and have chosen an art that isnít primarily sport based (many Traditional Martial Arts for example) but still are training to learn to fight.

To be a weapon based fighter Ė you like knives, sticks, guns, etc and you are training specifically to get to know them really well.

Self Protection/Self Defense Ė you are training to develop skills to keep you safe should you be attacked.

Fitness/Health Ė being able to fight is a bonus, but you are in class to get into/maintain shape.

Cultural/Historical reasons Ė you are all about preserving a specific tradition or way of life. In other words you study the traditional martial arts, of any culture, because they are worth preserving.

Fun/Comradery Ė itís a way for you to be social and thatís most important to you.

Other Ė take as sec and post what I missed.

I canít choose a primary reason Ė Dammit, my motives are far to complex to give a PRIMARY reason why I train.
    Last edited by Matt Bernius; 1/04/2006 12:01pm at .
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:50am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i suppose i can touch on all of those reasons to some extent, but my primary reason, if by process of elimination, is to be a competitive sport fighter (i train in judo exclusively, and compete when healthy). i have no real goals as far as competition goes--i'm not trying to win any specific tournament/title.

i believe there is self defense application, but i know nothing about striking and do not supplement my training accordingly.

it keeps me in great shape (minus broken bones and torn ligaments) and i love the camaraderie.

blah blah blah

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:56am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't give a crap about 'sd'. I grapple because it is fun and I compete because that's part of the package, fun and the best way to improve.

**** you math class

Posted On:

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Competitive sport (shooter). I have an archery competition this Friday and Saturday. And one planned for February. And then the outdoor season starts.

Middleweight

Posted On:

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the feedback, I appended the description for competition to indicate that this includes competing to compete (namely get better) without having the intention of being top of field.

MJS,

CRAP! I was originally going to have a "competative weapons" category and then dropped it with the 10 question limit. I figured it was cool since there wasn't a huge weapons comp scene (showing my FMA bias). Thanks for proving me wrong.

- Matt
    Last edited by Matt Bernius; 1/04/2006 11:58am at .
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Primary is definitely Self Defense but I touch on other areas as well. Sport fighting is fun but I see it as a training tool. Helio made a statement recently that I do agree with.
    Competitions should be a means for you to polish your self-defense skills in a safe enviorment.
    This had been a topic of discussing at my gym. It started when I said I don't get into alot of the gimick gaurd variatons because I wouldn't use them. I don't see ever using X guard in a fight so I don't spend alot of time working on it.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 12:02pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I chose non-competitive sports fighting. My work precludes me from making the time to compete and stuff now or in the near future. I'm very competitive in nature, a testosterone driven perfectionist (which sometimes makes me an ass...) The allure of competing is great, but I need to be pragmatic if I keep my job and pay my bills. LOL.

There are also historical reasons. I did judo when I was a kid, but had to stop due to asthma... and I always wanted to go back :)

I don't do it for self-defense since I think I know enough to defend myself from most situations... plus I always do my best to avoid stupid situations. That doesn't mean, however, that I haven't learned anything useful.

Last but not least, I don't do it for fitness reasons, though I have to acknowledge the warmups at my BJJ class are more explosive than anything I've done so far.

*** edited
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    think I know enough to defend myself from most situations
    or so I f*ing hope :icon_thum
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 1/04/2006 12:06pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 12:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great responses, thanks for taking the time to clarify your answers!

- Matt
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train because I have a deep abiding love of expressing myself through combat arts.

Pretty straightforward, really.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 12:10pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gimmicks. Irony. Hilarity.
Page 1 of 25 1 234511 ... LastLast