Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/07/2006 6:15pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    ps, looking away is when people get knocked the **** out in thai boxing matches (or boxing matches or MMA or whatever)
    I don't disagree. But people say a lot of useless things in response to stills. It reminds me of a past thread where somebody was moaning how a woman in a picture didn't keep her hands up, which prompted me to immediately find pics of Andy Hug and Royce Gracie with their hands even lower.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/07/2006 6:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams
    I don't disagree. But people say a lot of useless things in response to stills. It reminds me of a past thread where somebody was moaning how a woman in a picture didn't keep her hands up, which prompted me to immediately find pics of Andy Hug and Royce Gracie with their hands even lower.
    yes, people do a lot of bad things during fights (especially MMA matches IMHO), though watching the clip it's a pretty glaring mistake that Omar makes and it's during a pretty low key sparring drill where I'd expect technique to be pretty solid
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Genius

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 7:12am

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a lot of techniques from that muay thai site I find pretty questionable.

There are good reasons as to why Muay Thai has filtered out many techniques during it's evolution.

Genius

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 7:16am

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But people say a lot of useless things in response to stills.

Perhaps, but the stills that I've posted were in context of the clip. People can even download and view the clip to see the context. The stills you posted have no context in which to make a judgements. Also, dorky white guys in thai shorts and monkols trying to show people what ancient muay thai is hardly qualifies as a credible source.

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 7:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes, people do a lot of bad things during fights (especially MMA matches IMHO), though watching the clip it's a pretty glaring mistake that Omar makes and it's during a pretty low key sparring drill where I'd expect technique to be pretty solid
    I have to wonder whether or not Omar's rather overdoing the bagua(?) footwork for training and exemplary purposes. There are plenty of situations where you isolate something to improve it even though you wouldn't restrict yourself like that in a bout.

I tentatively agree with Omar's assessment, in that I don't like his orientation (which is crossed and truly facing away at times) later in the clip, as poosed to earlier, where the transitions are a bit smoother. Plus, I'm more familiar with using some of those movements at closer range; I don't want t turn unless I can make the other guy come with me.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 11:52am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm sure Royce would be devastated to learn that his pre-1995 standup skill did not reflect the skills of an accomplished MT artist.

I'm going to do a wild guess and say that the woman you're talking about was not a black belt in BJJ and was learning a pure striking art, which leaves that whole argument well beyond the borders of retard-land.
    More human than human is our motto.

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 5:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    I'm sure Royce would be devastated to learn that his pre-1995 standup skill did not reflect the skills of an accomplished MT artist.

I'm going to do a wild guess and say that the woman you're talking about was not a black belt in BJJ and was learning a pure striking art, which leaves that whole argument well beyond the borders of retard-land.
    Reading half of what you're responding to is an act of rhetorical genius.

http://www.andyhug.com/

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 5:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're missing the point where I am actually able to look at a picture of a good fighter and think "he's good. but in this picture, his guard is too low" You should try it some time. Two conflicting ideas in your mind at once. It's liberating.
    More human than human is our motto.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 5:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omg Andy Hug's Technique Wasn't Complete Perfection!?!?!? Impossible!!!!
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 5:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    You're missing the point where I am actually able to look at a picture of a good fighter and think "he's good. but in this picture, his guard is too low" You should try it some time. Two conflicting ideas in your mind at once. It's liberating.
    No, you're pretending you were saying that because I spanked you based on what you originally meant.

In any event, people drop their hands for all kinds of reasons, and not all of them are bad. Unless you have something more specifc to say about the context of the hands being low, comments about the hands being low are garbage, one and all.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast