Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 1:33am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omar

Lights Out, Thaiboxerken, Ikken Hisatsu and others, have made some very good observations about your sparring. And since I don't want to be accused of beating a dead horse, I'm not going to critisize you for the same things that they've already pointed out, again and again.

However, I do want to ask you about this: what is the point, the philosophy of your footwork? And I mean that sincerely, I'm not being totally dismissive or sarcastic. Your sparring, your footwork, reminds me a lot of the Systema guys at the last UK Throwdown. But those guys are suppose to swirl and rotate away from pressure, it's suppose to be reactive, at least that's the way it was taught to me, by Vladimir Vasiliev. But your footwork doesn't seem to be reactive, you seem to be following a set pattern, a pattern that is independant of your opponent's strikes, a set pattern that a more experienced opponent could identify, anticipate, and use to track and tag you.

Are you simply following a set pattern? And if so, why?

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 2:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The idea is pretty much what I have heard from the systema guys. I like a lot of what they out out. The only way I thought it was really set was that I was really trying to keep too it instead of counter-attacking.

Would it help if I tried to make a clip that was more regular sparring without any specific goals in mind?

I try to keep experimenting. With a more experienced opponent I doubt I could just stay defensive and be safe. With a new guy like that, I think the only way to make it really productive is to set some limits and see if you can make it work.

I wouldn't say that it's "my footwork" in the sense that "that is how I spar". It's one of the ways that I spar. I kind of like that you saw similarities with the systema guys because despite their cyclical appearances in the Bullshido forum, I think they have some really good ideas. I am also trying to really get away from blocking stuff. Another Systema type thing I have done with him that I thought was pretty productive was to keep my hands at my sides and just let him hit me while I tried to just minimize the impact by turning and twisting.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 2:03am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    p.s. You could ask Emevas or any of the guys who were at the So-cal throwdown I attended. I didn't do any of this sort of thing there. I stuck to a pretty basic Muay Thai-ish kind of style of footwork. Trying to break out of it though.

Too bad there were no clips from that. The tape got eaten and some footage was saved but none of it with me on it. You can always check the thread though and ask the folks who were there about whay my "style" was like that day.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 11:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omar

I have a couple of comments that you may, or may not, find useful.

I believe that there is something valuable in the evasion-like philosophies of Systema, but not in the way that you were implementing them. I don't think they much sense without completing them, without balancing them with their corresponding counter strikes.

What I mean by that is the following: rotating away from your opponent's attack makes sense, when you're rotate away from an attack and into the most logical and efficient counterattack. If you rotate one shoulder away from your attacker, it should draw them towards you, past your centerline and into a position that makes them vulnerable to a strike from your other shoulder, from the one that should be rotating towards them and into your counter attack.

However, if you only practice defense, if you don't counter, then you're only rotating one way, and then back into neutral. That doesn't make sense. That's unbalanced, that's unnatural. That's why I believe that your sparring looked awkward. You were rotating away from an attack and then rotating back to neutral, instead of into a counter. And then on the few occasions where you were rotating back to neutral, and your opponent was actually attacking you again, since you found yourself rotating your body into his strike, all you could do was turn your head away to minimize the blow. Thus the reason why so many people were accusing you of cowering. You weren't cowering, but that movement was the only one available to you.

Thus, my comment is this: you should always spar true to form, with attacks and counter attacks. It's my opinion that it's okay to spar at half speed, or at half power, but you should never spar out of form. That means no defense only, no offense only, and definitely no sloppy meaningless movements.

If you want to practice defense only, or offense only, that should be done with drills, but not with sparring. You need the flow, that back and forth, to make things meaningful, to find the answers to your opponent's attacks.

Good luck!

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 7:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to practice defense only, or offense only, that should be done with drills, but not with sparring. You need the flow, that back and forth, to make things meaningful, to find the answers to your opponent's attacks.
    But j416to! That was a drill. ;)

Did you miss the part where I explained that the other guy in the clip is someone I am teaching?

Did everyone think assume that this was a clip of how I typically train?

While it's certainly true that I am trying some things out here and getting a lot out of the drill myself, the other guy knows that I can pretty much hit him at will. He's pretty funny and tends to start each session with making me promise not to hit him. . . which never happens. The other guys stance, his punching method, his guard all of it....it's all stuff I have helped him develope over the past several months. This isn't "sparring". It's coaching.

But aside from that. Yes. I agree with everything you said.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 11:07pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    This is horrible. Hands are down, legs are crossed and standing on heels alot.

dude, you cant cross your feet like that. It hinders offense and defense. You might even fall over. There is no goo reason for footwork like that

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 11:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can and it doesn't.

I'm just not as clumsy as you are. ;)

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2006 12:03am

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what positive aspect does crossing your feet have?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/07/2006 12:12am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take it there's no one that you train with of comprable skill/experience that you could spar with? I'd really like to see an actual sparring video where you use the stuff against... well... someone you can't just play around with.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/07/2006 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, finally got to watch the video. My only comment besides what's already been stated is that you seem to rely on covering up too much. Had the guy been doing any leg kicks I can't see how you would've been able to defend them most of the time. Or body kicks... or anything not aimed at your head. It really looked like the main thing you had going for you was that the guy was too much of a head hunter and his attacks were all easily read.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast