Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 7:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK.

This was the game. I was going to try and only use footwork to dance around him and not punch back. He was going to play offense. I forgot about that when I threw what I think was my one jab. I don't know how to scoot past to the right like that without covering it with a jab.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Light's out,

Yes it was sort of directed at someone but I took it out anyways. I'm guessing that maybe that's why we got thrown out of the techniques sub-forum? *groan* All the more reason for more people to throw stuff up there. Bumming me out a bit how little discussion is happening up there. Anyways:

-You crossed your legs a couple of times, leaving you vulnerable to get unbalanced if you get attacked in that moment.

Only a couple? By boxing standards I thought I was doing it constantly. What's the difference? You have some specific moments in mind?

-You almost gave your back to the opponent a couple of times, that´s a no-no.

Only once that I noticed. It was so embarrasing I almost edited it out. . . but that just wouldn't be right now.

-Your partner is a noob, he shouldn´t raise his back foot when throwing the right cross.

Good call. I didn't notice. I'll watch for that next time.

-You seem to cover a big distance with your steps, economizing energy that way, maybe.

Trying to defend myself without punching back.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori

While your opponent was obviously not striking with the intention to hurt, his strikes basically seemed to slide off of you.

Keep the vids going.
    Actually he was doing his best but he's having a hard time pinning me down. He "landed" one really solid cross but I can't see it on the clip for some reason. In quotes because I blocked it with my rear hand but I mean, unlike the rest where I kind of rotate and shrug off his stuff, it actually hit something...even if it was my hand. It was nice and solid and aimed right at my head. Damn. I just reviewed the clip and I still can't find where it was.

We stopped when we did because he just plain gassed himself.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Scrapper,

all the foot-crossing makes me nervous, is that a stylistic thing?

Yes. And I am not trying to sell it on anyone. It was maybe doing even more than usual because I partly made this clip in response to some talk about how non-mobile that was supposed to make me and I was saying that it makes it easier to "run around".

You definately make your man chase you and reach, that will wear your opponent down quickly. If I had better wind I'd do it more myself.

I don't have great wind I just enjoy that kind of sparring and I as you now know, I was trying to get him to really go for it more and had meant not to punch back at all but only play defense.

I agree with the previous poster that when you button up you tend to look down or away from your opponent, that makes me nervous as well.

I was noticing that too. I have to be carefull of that on defense. I didn't realize how much just looking for openings is really what keeps my head up. I may slow down on the clips but I am definately hooked on videoing our work for review later. Damn. Should have been doing this since....since always.

Do you keep your punch output low to encourage the opponent to wind himself, or are you just a cautious fighter? Is this a style thing as well?

Following on your comment about making him chase and reach me, my "opponent" was actually a guy I've been coaching. It was hard to bring him out and get some real aggresion out of him. He had zero MA experience besides what he's done with me and at first was a bit afraid to really try and hit me for real. Been working with me about twice a week for maybe 3 months. For while he wasn't really making any progress. Then I started this drills where I wouldn't punch back. For a while I had to leave me arms at my sides so he could keep landing things and build up a combination of comfort that it was ok to hit me and the realization of how really hard he's have to hit me to have any effect. Most people with little training seem to overestimate their punching power.

You are very loose and fluid. I'd love to see you put that to work with more jabs. I can see you frustrating oppnents all day long with that.

Good stuff!
    Thanks. That's cool.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 7:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mantis:

And have it preserved for all posterity!?! God no!

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 7:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    Mantis:

And have it preserved for all posterity!?! God no!
    You should be able to delete things when you want to. Can you remove a megaupload upload? But anyway, it's in place for members to do what you are doing. Thanks BTW.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 7:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come on dude, at least let me see it. Download limit exceeded!
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Genius

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 7:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That kind of footwork will just lose you a match in MMA, Muay Thai or boxing.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 7:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -You crossed your legs a couple of times, leaving you vulnerable to get unbalanced if you get attacked in that moment.

Only a couple? By boxing standards I thought I was doing it constantly. What's the difference? You have some specific moments in mind?
    Not by boxing standars, watch the clip again, I can count at least two and maybe three times when your legs are completely crossed, that is your right foot is more on your left than your left foot, not just "heels too close".

-You seem to cover a big distance with your steps, economizing energy that way, maybe.

Trying to defend myself without punching back.
    I tought that covering long distances with a single stpe was one of the points of your footwork.

I admit I´m still not sure what you´re trying to demonstrate with this footwork.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 7:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    You should be able to delete things when you want to. Can you remove a megaupload upload? But anyway, it's in place for members to do what you are doing. Thanks BTW.
    Didn't know I could delete stuff from the Bullshido gallery as long as I was the one who uploaded it.

And no you can't delete megaupload since there's no gallery, it seemed unlikely that anyone would randomly hit one of those links. It's not like it could show up on google or anything. You are reminding me though why I usually use yousendit. I like the links to expire after a while.

Gotta get to work.

Bye all.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Genius

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 8:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is horrible. Hands are down, legs are crossed and standing on heels alot.
    Attached Images  

Genius

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 8:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More bad stuff. Turning away, thus blinding yourself from the opponent's movements. Covering arm isn't attached to the face. You've basically set yoruself up for nasty leg kicks and or takedowns here. You also cower from the incoming punch.
    Attached Images  

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/05/2006 12:49am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    first thing i noticed is neither of you have mouthguards- you must have a real good dental plan.

the way you were, basically, cowering away from his punches would get your ass chewed up and spit out by any halfway competent fighter. I realise you were focusing on defense but even so- looking away, exposing your back, being off balance. your footwork is bad. i dont do CMA but I know bad footwork when I see it and being on your heels like that is bad.

i dont like to come off as ragging on you or your style but these just seem like such obvious flaws. you need a sparring partner who is willing to punish you for making mistakes because it looks like thats what you need. we have a guy at our gym who goes at one speed all the time whether you are a beginner or a pro, and i think everyone needs a sparring partner like that.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast