Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 1:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shuaichiaorules
    I guess that is true but I have seen karate schools that have trophies all over the place and watched them, but was not impressed at all. I guess it if you see where there winning at.
    Valid question and you are correct, the kind of tournament matters. In this case, grappling tournaments are at full contact, so it should be a non-issue (barring fraudulent records, trophies, etc). Please do give BJJ a try (or a good judo/SAMBO club); you will enjoy it and you need grappling to be a complete fighter. You will learn to know what works because you will use techniques against resisting opponents constantly.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 1:15pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know at least 15 people in my town who are in black belt halls of fame and martial arts halls of fame. I also know that they are worthless martial artists.

Never put stock in belts or orgs, put stock in what your teacher can teach and how it works when TESTED in full contact situations. AKA put up or shut up. I can easily say I have 16 years of exp in the marital arts. Does that mean I am a bad ass and know what i'm talking about? Nope. It means I have trained in various crap for 16 years (on and off, with off time counted). The proof is in the pudding. I dont expect anyone to take advice from me on tactics or techniques unless they have rolled with me. I could easily get into a martial art hall of fame. I could also easily gain sokeship in my own version of whatever art and be 10th degree. Then I can cross rank with guys at the soke council and get more ranks.

Like this.

Hey Mr. 10th dan jujutsu guy, I'm 10th dan in pimp-quan-do, I belive that having a 10th dan in jujutsu is like having a 7th dan on pimp-quan-do. So I'll rank you in pimp-quan-do.

Hey mr pimp-quan-do, thanks for the cross rank, you know I think that if you have a 10th dan in anything you are good enough for a 7th dan in jujutsu, so here you go.

Paper certs are abundant in people who join martial art halls of fame. They are also abundant with people who are 10th degrees (most 10th anytings are political appointments and normally wouldn't waste time teaching lower ranks, but would be traveling around the world doing semminars to help spread the art. ). The only time this seems to be not true is in guys who are paper artists.

Its not to say they dont have any skill. I know a really a few really good martial artists with paper certs in a few arts. I dont know why they do it, but they do. I'm guessing they just like to hang more crap on their walls.

So once again in conclusion. Only trust what you have seen done, or done yourself in full contact sparing. This is also how you pick a good bjj school, go actually roll with some guys, if they kick your ass then it just might be worth training with them.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 1:26pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, which Blackbelt hall of fame. There's MA halls of fame all over the place. And a lot don't even notify people that they're being inducted. One of the most notorious organizations that does this is the World Head of Family Sokeship Council. The best way to discredit your instructor is to say he's in a Blackbelt Hall of Fame. That means about zilch to the martial arts community.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 1:40pm

Style: Thai boxing , JJ ,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ¿ISCA? Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology? no , what is that?

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 3:22pm

supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    honestly, i go off on chicoine because i believe that he squandered an opportunity to promote shuai chiao in the u.s. as chang entrusted him to do, and turned it into more of an inside out cult envirnoment within his organization. by all accounts (other than chicoine's own) he had less actual experience but did have some 'power', so he was given a responsibility to promote it in the u.s., but instead of building it up and unifying, he created an atmosphere of paranoia and turned against many other well respected SC masters including chang's own family. i think SC actually is a good art, so i get pissed off when i see it dragged through the mud and made to look stupid, which happens when something is closed off and becomes incestuous. you get fucksticks with 2 years of experience coming on here and ranting about SC being too deadly to compete with, when in fact chang competed all the time, which is one of the things that made his art what it was. i think it hurts an otherwise good art. its unfortunate that chicione took this approach, because he had been exposed to some good material. i have heard some good things about his iron palm and some of his other skills, but thats a whole other can-o-worms. i just don't like the way he's run SC into the ground.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 4:14pm

Style: shuai chiao

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you still wont tell me where you get your information. He still is in contact with certain members of Chang's family just not the ones who befriended him when Chang died and wanted to profit off of him after death. Read about it on the shuachiao website and i know your going to say that is his side of the story but he is the only one to come out and say what really happened and until somebody else in the shuai chiao world or martial arts in general can come out and prove him wrong (or even argue it) how can you not accept what he says as he is the President of the ISCA. oh that is International Shuai Chiao Association for rexkwon even though i have said it numerous times.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 4:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking of Rexkwon even MTV knows that most MA schools are b.s. That is how alot of them are like in Napoleon Dynamite just some big guy with funny clothes trying to get your money

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 4:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arbiter you sound like your getting knowledge from somewhere why wont you tell me where its coming from?

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the propaganda on that website makes SC look as bad as chung moo do, which shouldnt be the case. and that is sad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 4:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how does it make sc look bad