T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 8:49pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nezha
    we seem to be caught in a cycle of these 'my style/master rules' ppl. since i got here late last year we've had pagan, shooter, sammyking, jdrozen, sabre3, etc. and now this guy. at least this guy makes sense tho, and can actually point us to his schools webpage. gratz.

btw, how big are you shuaijiaorules? if your a really big guy, like say, 8'9" and 600 lbs, maybe its just your bigness breaking them bones, and not you super kung fu
    Don't know if that's partly directed at me or not, but I like my style. I wouldn't, and never have said it's better than any other style. I let things slide a lot when people talk about it because there's a lot that I can see worth laughing about (frilly pink fans, acrobatics, crazy looking uniforms), but when someone actually attacks the style as a whole without knowing anything about it that's when I step in. Apologies if that was not directed at me :icon_bigg

Edit: And a special thank you to that banned dumbass Pagan for doing nothing but make KSW look like an art full of arrogant pricks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 9:01pm

Style: Boxing, Wushu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KSWolf
    Don't know if that's partly directed at me or not, but I like my style. I wouldn't, and never have said it's better than any other style. I let things slide a lot when people talk about it because there's a lot that I can see worth laughing about (frilly pink fans, acrobatics, crazy looking uniforms), but when someone actually attacks the style as a whole without knowing anything about it that's when I step in. Apologies if that was not directed at me :icon_bigg

Edit: And a special thank you to that banned dumbass Pagan for doing nothing but make KSW look like an art full of arrogant pricks.
    apology accepted :P

yea you get weirdos in every pack... except san shou of course. our deadly moves are so deadly that occasionally people become dead when we apply these deadly techniques to them, to disaterously deadly results. our coach demands the highest excellence in anyone that even sets foot in the school, and so we are all perfection itself. no 'pagans' here.

quick question, since its prolly not worth its own thread: do you need to be a certain age to attend a thrwodown?

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 9:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And just for posterity here's another nugget out of that article that I think sounds perfectly useful. If people don't agree I'm perfectly willing to debate it...
    "The most common defense against an opponent's roundhouse kick is to step toward the kick, covering it with one hand placed high on the attacker's lower leg and the other hand placed low on the leg. The defender then hooks and locks the leg, throwing the kicker down."
    For something to be so "common" I was never taught that defense nor in kickboxing or in MT. Hell, not even in krotty.

Or by "common" the article means "appropiate"?

I dare you to try that on a semi-competent kickboxer, MT'er or whatever. Heck, even try that on a KSW'er.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 9:14pm

Style: shuai chiao

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5'7" 160

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 9:18pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I'll agree that the technique won't work against everyone. No technique will. But, if you're a competantly trained practitioner, what's wrong with jamming the attack and grabbing the supporting leg to pull it out. The attacker won't have full stability as one foot is in the air, so throwing your weight forward into their center of mass as you pull the leg out should drop them. By closing the attack the worst you get from the kick is taking the thigh in your side. If you see something else being wrong though, let me know. I am up for debate on this as I don't claim to be a self defense god. Hell and for good measure I'll try this in sparring session and see what happens.

Edit: I understand the hardest part of this is anticipation and timing, but that's something you have to learn if you want to be able to protect yourself against a fighter not just your everyday dumbass who thinks he's tough.
    Last edited by Wolf; 2/02/2006 9:22pm at .

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 9:21pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and Ain't I Punchy?!, I shouldn't even have had to mention the use of short sticks as you train in arnis (though we take different approaches to the use of a stick, and I think ours are shorter).

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 9:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, I'll agree that the technique won't work against everyone. No technique will. But, if you're a competantly trained practitioner, what's wrong with jamming the attack and grabbing the supporting leg to pull it out. The attacker won't have full stability as one foot is in the air, so throwing your weight forward into their center of mass as you pull the leg out should drop them. By closing the attack the worst you get from the kick is taking the thigh in your side. If you see something else being wrong though, let me know. I am up for debate on this as I don't claim to be a self defense god. Hell and for good measure I'll try this in sparring session and see what happens.

Edit: I understand the hardest part of this is anticipation and timing, but that's something you have to learn if you want to be able to protect yourself against a fighter not just your everyday dumbass who thinks he's tough.
    My beef with the technique is the "step towards the leg". It takes great reflexes and skill to catch a roundhouse by a semi-competent (note, not proffesional, semi-competent) practitioner.

If youīre able to catch it, yeah, sure, go for the sweep, itīs not like it hasnīt happened in MT matches before. But odds are that more often than not, the kick will be too fast for you to catch it with a single hand, let alone step into it grabbing the leg with both hands.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 9:43pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, i understand that beef. so you're basically saying, not a technique for a newbie? and I agree completely. On a side note, i think the mean to grab the leg he's standing on and pull the leg out while driving into the person, thus knocking them now. This as opposed to catching the kicking leg. I get this because the article says to place the hands on the "lower leg."

Edit: This at least gets rid of the reflexes needed to catch the kick.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 10:01pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, i understand that beef. so you're basically saying, not a technique for a newbie? and I agree completely. On a side note, i think the mean to grab the leg he's standing on and pull the leg out while driving into the person, thus knocking them now. This as opposed to catching the kicking leg. I get this because the article says to place the hands on the "lower leg."

Edit: This at least gets rid of the reflexes needed to catch the kick.
    Then I didnīt understood it.

You simply wonīt be able to move your whole body towards his leg before the kick hits you. That simple.

If youīre lucky to catch the kicking leg, you may try something like that, but more often than not it wonīt work. Just because itīs damm hard to catch a roundhouse. There are plenty of people more skilled than me on this fourm, ask them.

Have in mind that I did kickboxing, if thereīs a technique thatīs been applied on me is the roundhouse

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 11:04pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, my thought was that if you moved in you'd still get hit, but it wouldn't be with the powerful part of the kick. Meaning he might hit you with his thigh or at least something further up the leg. If it's a high kick this would mean catching on the side of the arm as opposed to the head. If it's a low roundhouse you'd catch it on your hip or just below. Either way it's got my curiosity piqued. I'm going to try this in sparring. Thanks for the input.

Edit: If I get dropped hard, then I know for sure it doesn't work :thumbsup: