I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 2:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Mental Aspect

I read a lot of comments on Bullshido disparaging the spiritual aspects of MA.

And while agree that people who think that a combinations of chi and farting can disable people, and that they poses deadly Dim Mak are full of 100% Bullshido there is something to be said for the mental aspects of MA.

The whole Japanese Zen samurai stuff came out of a time and place when these guy's were training to whack each other's heads off with two feet of steel.

The mental exercises weren't about achieving enlightenment for enlightenment sake but freeing themselves from fears of getting disembowelled and worse failing and dishonouring themselves. These fears could cause them to hesitate and make a mistake which could cost them their lives. So the meditation and philosophy the practiced were practical attempts to overcome these issues.

Is it relevant to today's martial artist?

There's and interesting interview on MMA Weekly http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/...=1238&zoneid=4

Where GSP talks about how he wasn't mentally prepared to beat Mat Hughes

"Not to give me an excuse, but if I was going into that fight mentally 100%, I think I would beat him. I cracked under the pressure, I wasnít there (mentally), at the end of the match when he spun for the armbar. I tapped even before my arm was stretched. Because in that fight I thought Matt Hughes was killing me, kicking my ass. But, when I watched the tape I realized I was doing pretty well. I know Iím the caliber of fighter who can beat Matt Hughes."

Now I am not advocating hours sitting in lotus position or snorting green tea. But some of the old school Martial artists had some good mental training exercises which are still valuable to people today.

I think to some degree the swing to more realistic training is "throwing out the baby with the bath water" in abandoning all spiritual and mental aspects of martial arts.

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 3:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Proper preparation for a fight brings mental and spiritual preparation automatically. St. Pierre made the mistake of being intimidated by his opponent. Having respect for your enemy is one thing, but believing you won't win is another. Whether you want to believe God or Zen or whatever is on your side is your own choice and if it helps then go for it, but to attribute success solely to the spirit is foolish.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 1/03/2006 3:06pm at .

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 3:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    Proper preparation for a fight brings mental and spiritual preparation automatically. St. Pierre made the mistake of being intimidated by his opponent.
    Not necessarily.

Mike Tyson was at one point the most dominant boxer in the world. Peak training and physical toughness wasn't enough to allow him the tools to keep it together.

Physical training alone does not equal mental toughness.

That's why many major league sport franchises uses sport psychologists.

When elites are competing against elites the margin of victory is small and the mental edge huge.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 6:39am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Physical training alone does not equal mental toughness.
    Thats so true, just look at the guys who can't make it in the military, some of then train for that **** for years and then crack because of the psychological pressure.

"mens sana in corpore sano"

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 10:19am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good point, Goju Joe. Meditation, focused kata, fiber therapy, drum beating...everyone needs some form of "Mental Conditioning" to see them through.

LOTS of boxers rely on religion, professional athletes use sport psychologists for positive affirmations and even limited hypnotherapy...old school martial artists used meditation and spiritual "stuff".

This month's Men's Health had an article that showed that "psyching yourself up" can increase performance by over 10%. Some people psych themselves up with "Martial Arts spiritual mumbo jumbo".

Of course, pictures like the chubby guy with the bandanna in Trollshido make me regret posting my opinion on this, but oh well.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 10:38am

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where meditation and zen detachment once quelled fear and guilt, steroids, overdeveloped ego and desensitivity to violence via modern media have taken over.

Call it "evolution"

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:51am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    I read a lot of comments on Bullshido disparaging the spiritual aspects of MA.

And while agree that people who think that a combinations of chi and farting can disable people, and that they poses deadly Dim Mak are full of 100% Bullshido there is something to be said for the mental aspects of MA.
    I think the main issue is not that there aren't perhaps spiritual aspects of MA but that some people look for more than what is there or their teachers prey upon their desires for spiritual leadership.

As for the mental aspects I agree there are good parts to that in MA training but I don't think it is anything better necessarily than any other sport, especially if you are competing.

One of my biggest peeves are MA instructors who act like they are the spiritual gateway to some type of lost Asian mystic understanding of the world. To people who are seeking that out in a MA I think they will likely be disappointed. My advice is they go to Buddhist temple instead.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 2:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by katana
    I think the main issue is not that there aren't perhaps spiritual aspects of MA but that some people look for more than what is there or their teachers prey upon their desires for spiritual leadership.

As for the mental aspects I agree there are good parts to that in MA training but I don't think it is anything better necessarily than any other sport, especially if you are competing.

One of my biggest peeves are MA instructors who act like they are the spiritual gateway to some type of lost Asian mystic understanding of the world. To people who are seeking that out in a MA I think they will likely be disappointed. My advice is they go to Buddhist temple instead.

Thats about it.

Pple on Bullshido don't dismiss the mental aspect its that its often misrepresented.

Mental prepr for fighting and combat does not equal metnal training to deal with everything else in life.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 6:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    Thats about it.

Pple on Bullshido don't dismiss the mental aspect its that its often misrepresented.

Mental prepr for fighting and combat does not equal metnal training to deal with everything else in life.
    I am not sure I agree 100% The ability to stay focused under stress is something I think translates from good Martial training to real life. Coping with stressful situations that are not nesecarily fight situations.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 6:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kind of a dumb question, but...why did you put the "Hedgehogey" banner on this thread?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast