Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2006 4:58pm

Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

2 weeks till tough belt test .. diet???

Hey everyone... I have 2 weeks till a belt test, looking for some advise for diet and other things to do... The test will include. doing push ups and sit up, demoing techincs and (5) 2 minute rounds of sparring (3) 6 minutes rounds of grappling... I have been training for 8 to 10 hours per week for the past 5 weeks and only 1 alcohol drink since then also.... Help me.... I don't want to run out of energy or anything to prevent this from being a one and done test... Thanks

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    1/02/2006 7:43pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your test will involve several intervals of varying lengths and intensity - sparring is different than grappling in several regards of how your muscles get used. But overall, interval exercises.

That means when you workout, if you're doing treadmill exercise, you don't slog it out at a constant pace for 40 minutes. Let's say your cruising pace (that you can cover distance in) for running is 5mph. You would run along at 1% incline at 5mph for a minute, then you would kick it up to a higher pace (say 7.5 - 8mph) for 2 minutes, to simulate your sparring, then dial the treadmill back to 5mph for 1-2 minutes (however long your sparring breaks are), and then run some more.

Even better, do bag work in the same fashion - have a timer count off rounds while you ferociously attack the bag, then rest at the break, then do it some more.

For grappling, my amateur opinion tells me the best way to train for grappling is to get a more skilled person from your class to train with you - buy them a 6-pack or a dinner or something, or just give them, like $20, if they aren't happy to volunteer without payment, and do your grappling rounds with them.

Push ups and situps, just do what you have done in training.

As for diet, there isn't much you can do to improve, but there's plenty you can do to harm your efforts. Stay away from shitty foods, which includes grease, simple carbs (asides from fruits), and an excessive amount of sweets. Opt for fruits, whole grains, lean meats, and a modest amount of sweets so you don't end up with a craving from total abstinence. Stuff like carb-loading really only works as a result of long-term, accumulated ability your body develops from long-distance training. You could also consume some green tea before your workouts and before your test to help boost your energy from caffeine and other energy-enhancing substances.

Hope this helps.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 8:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep your cardio up so your sparring will be up to par. Remember to breathe through your nose.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 10:45pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is two weeks enough time to lose weight for the belt to fit??? you should have thought of this sooner

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 10:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn't look like he's actually trying to lose weight.
    I'm not drowning my sorrows, I'm preserving them in alcohol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2006 11:04pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wellcome to subtle humour

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2006 1:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UltimateGaijin
    is two weeks enough time to lose weight for the belt to fit??? you should have thought of this sooner
    No... not trying to lose any weight... I'm 235-238 right now, so I'll have to spar and grapple with all the gorillas they can find.. I only have alittle body fat around my waist, was asking about diet for substaining energy throughout the test. Want to eat the days coming up to the test, the day before and the morning of, the test starts 10 am.... And things to chew on during, when I have a chance... Power bars and such....

Posted On:
    1/07/2006 2:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KiaKid - which school do you train at? Do you have any COC experience?

Hopefully you have gone to see other tests and know what to expect. I've seen a few, but basically there is no way getting around being exhausted. No matter how good or how conditioned you are, they will push you to the limit. A friend of mine tested last year and was doing pretty well in the stand-up portion - so they threw a fresh member of the fight team in with him after he was going at it for a while. Just for good measure, they then made him go an EXTRA round (past the test requirement). I have no doubt this had nothing to do with his abilities, but rather the senseis want to make sure everyone gets a gut check.

Obviously, if you are out of shape you are not going to survive. But if you are taking the 8-10 classes per week, keeping the intensity HIGH during these classes, and trying to pay attention to recovery (we are the same age...I understand what your body feels), you should be fine. If I go there I know what ring to look for you...you shouldnt be hard to find.

Good luck on the test. I'm planning to take the test later this year and hopefully you will be one of the gorillas theythrow at me :-)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 9:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by punchingdummy
    KiaKid - which school do you train at? Do you have any COC experience?

Hopefully you have gone to see other tests and know what to expect. I've seen a few, but basically there is no way getting around being exhausted. No matter how good or how conditioned you are, they will push you to the limit. A friend of mine tested last year and was doing pretty well in the stand-up portion - so they threw a fresh member of the fight team in with him after he was going at it for a while. Just for good measure, they then made him go an EXTRA round (past the test requirement). I have no doubt this had nothing to do with his abilities, but rather the senseis want to make sure everyone gets a gut check.

Obviously, if you are out of shape you are not going to survive. But if you are taking the 8-10 classes per week, keeping the intensity HIGH during these classes, and trying to pay attention to recovery (we are the same age...I understand what your body feels), you should be fine. If I go there I know what ring to look for you...you shouldnt be hard to find.

Good luck on the test. I'm planning to take the test later this year and hopefully you will be one of the gorillas theythrow at me :-)
    I train in Cherry Hill, I have been to 3 COC, but none in the past 4 years... I'm a long timer there, going on about 8 years beacuse I disappeared while my children were really young.. I did go to the past test to get a feel for it and we did a pretest friday, but it was only for strength, technics and self defense... Thank for the luck... I don't know where I be yet, but I be with the big old guys for sure....

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 4:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KiaKid
    I train in Cherry Hill, I have been to 3 COC, but none in the past 4 years... I'm a long timer there, going on about 8 years beacuse I disappeared while my children were really young.. I did go to the past test to get a feel for it and we did a pretest friday, but it was only for strength, technics and self defense... Thank for the luck... I don't know where I be yet, but I be with the big old guys for sure....

The rings are set up by age group...you should be easy to find.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast