Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/23/2006 11:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was an excellent article. I have much to ponder having read it. I agree with amny of the authors points but I still feel that I am in disagreement on a few of them. Perhaps I am just not understanding what he means. The author stated everal times in the article that he disliked people "picking and choosing" pieces of different style to create a mish mash style. I feel that it is an excellent method, if done properly. No one style has everything for every person. I personaly enjoy the pugilistic techniques and style of boxing, however I also find the hand techniques and nerve strikes of ninjitsu. I also find that (in my opinion) Tae Kwon Do has one of the superior kicking techniques and training (provided of course that you are able to find a good quality instructor). Past that I enjoy the grappling, slamming and controling techniques of wrestling as well as the submissions of aikido, catch-as-catch-can and ju-jutsu. An odd amalgamation, I know. I think that the issue most people run into when following the "pick and choose" approach to martial arts is that they don't work on blending the styles. Those techniques draw from styles from four different continents. The philosophy of attack is different for each style. A person has to take the time and make the extra effort to blend those techniques into one cohesive style for theirself. They need to figure out how to transition between techniqes and styles. That is what I feel is the largest Issue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2006 1:53pm

Style: Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Direct, Effective Points...nice post..thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2006 4:10am

Style: Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like that explanation. Very eloquent, very succinct.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2007 3:34pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, Judo, WTF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.straightblastgym.com/intellect.htm

Interesting. Goes hand-in-hand with the OP's post.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2007 1:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ronin Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A very good article. I helped me view my own style with a more knowledgable eye, as well as my own training and attitude.

It seems I'm a bit too fond of making an exercise that uses aliveness into a pattern training exercise. No wonder my instructor tells me to not think so much. :P

I intend to try an do spme things a bit differently henceforth, and perhaps notify my instructor about it as well, since a habit sometimes need outside monitoring. It's easy to fall back into it without noticing it.

I'm very pleased to note that my style does use aliveness for, especially, the self defence parts. It also uses static/pattern training, but that is more to condition the body and help you get a feel of how it feels, moves and balance.
    Last edited by suntiger745; 2/02/2007 1:13pm at . Reason: corrected spelling
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123