Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

('._.)

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 1:08pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do you need to sacrifice cardio for strength/size?

Well, Ive been wondering about this for a while. Im trying to add on some weight and Im doing alright and my question is; I do Muay Thai, Boxing and BJJ pretty much every day. Which obviously makes me burn a lot. Do I really need to stop or reduce that if I wanna add on some weight? Cause I really dont wanna do that. Or can I just make up for what I burn by eating like a pig (which I do)?

I mean, you see the heavyweight fighters like Fedor that can go on all day with their cardio, yet they dont lose weight. They stay in their weightclass. How the hell do they do that?

Does it take a lot of balance perhaps? Scheduling when you lift weights and when you do MA, eat a lot and eat healthy? Would be nice if someone who knows more than I do about these things could enlighten me a little.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 1:42pm

Style: Kung fu, Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't say much as I'm no health expert, but from my understanding, if you eat healthy (which you should ALL THE TIME anyway) and make sure that you do it correctly and in conjunction with your training, you should be able to gain muscle and consequently gain weight, since muscle is heavier than fat.

You should only be eating as much as you need, which would leave you feeling satisfied instead of full. When you train, I've been told that as a general rule, you should try to eat a good amount of carbs during the meal before so that you have a good store of energy to carry you through the session, and afterwards you should eat more protein. Since during training your muscle fibers get damaged when you stress them, they afterwards heal stronger, which is what the protein is used for.

Hope that helps. I need to work on my strength and cardio as well. Any additional info from anyone else would be great.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 2:01pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your weight is in direct relation to the number of calories that you take in + the number of calories that you burn. There's no way around that.

My advice would be to eat a high-carb meal around two hours before you go train, and to follow any training session up (within an hour) with 100-200 grams of high-glyycemic carbs and 30-50 grams of protein. The first part is to give you energy to burn during the workout and the last part is to feed your muscles and reduce catabolism. Sipping a high-glycemic drink, such as fruit juice or Gatorade during a workout can help this too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 2:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSamurai
    I mean, you see the heavyweight fighters like Fedor that can go on all day with their cardio, yet they dont lose weight. They stay in their weightclass. How the hell do they do that?
    Because they are heavyweights. Not everybody is built the same. Fedor has a natural body type to be a heavyweight, so it doesn't matter if he does a shitload of cardio. He's still going to be a big guy.

You ever noticed how everybody looks different? Most people have a natural weight that they stay at or around. A 300 lb guy who starts doing tons of cardio isn't going to drop to 155.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 2:16pm

Style: wrestling, Bjj, fi ting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I hear smaller guys say they eat like a pig all the time to gain mass, I have to wonder to myself if they really understand what this means. Let me give you an example

Me:

6'1"
    240 at 15%fat

Breakfast 7AM
    giant cup of coffee
    1 Meal repalcement shake
    Bowl of oatmeal

Snack 9AM
    1 Granola bar
    16 OZ Skim milk
    Apple

Lunch 11:30 This is what I had today
    1 potato
    3/4lb of plain BBQ pork
    1 cup of rice
    some steamed broccili

Sanck 2:30
    Same as the 9am one
    and a roll and butter

Dinner
    1/2cup rice
    1 lg or 2 small Chicken breast
    Salad
    Some whole wheat bread
    a glass of wine or beer

Before bed
    egg white omlette
    or
    protein shake

You have to eat like this EVERY DAY for months.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PE nailed it. Keep a food journal with detailed calories and see what you're getting.

Another thing you need to be aware of when starting a lifting program is overtraining. You won't get gains if you don't have time to recover.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

('._.)

Posted On:
    1/12/2006 12:24pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PEtrainer
    When I hear smaller guys say they eat like a pig all the time to gain mass, I have to wonder to myself if they really understand what this means. Let me give you an example

Me:

6'1"
    240 at 15%fat

Breakfast 7AM
    giant cup of coffee
    1 Meal repalcement shake
    Bowl of oatmeal

Snack 9AM
    1 Granola bar
    16 OZ Skim milk
    Apple

Lunch 11:30 This is what I had today
    1 potato
    3/4lb of plain BBQ pork
    1 cup of rice
    some steamed broccili

Sanck 2:30
    Same as the 9am one
    and a roll and butter

Dinner
    1/2cup rice
    1 lg or 2 small Chicken breast
    Salad
    Some whole wheat bread
    a glass of wine or beer

Before bed
    egg white omlette
    or
    protein shake

You have to eat like this EVERY DAY for months.
    lol, I actually eat more than you and Im only 160.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 12:03pm

Style: Boxing, TKD, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would cardio training interfere in conjunction with weight training, though?

For example, would running five miles **** up your strength workout at the gym?
    It's the whole sprinter body type v.s. marathon body type

Not Enough Weight

Posted On:
    1/14/2006 6:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on how you train. Steady-state cardio (running five miles, for example) is extremely catabolic, meaning it tends to cause your body to break down muscle mass. Sprinting, on the other hand, is an anabolic activity in and of itself. Compare the 100, 200, 400, and 1600m runners at a track meet and you'll see what each type of training will do to your body. If you want to maintain muscle mass, you're better advised to perform higher-intensity, shorter duration interval training. This can take the form of sprints, swimming, skipping rope, and can even be effectively (some would say more effectively) done with weights in the form of fast-paced circuits or barbell complexes. Keep in mind that as a martial artist in any sort of sparring or self-defense scenario, you are far more likely to require endurance in an anaerobic capacity than in an aerobic one. Save distance running for...well, for never really. Bad for your joints, bad for your muscles, bad for you.
    "Even if one's head were to be suddenly cut off, he should be able to perform one more action with certainty."
    -Yamamoto Tsunetomo