233295 Bullies, 3589 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 2:10pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has happened to me a couple of times now:

It'll come up that I'm taking kung-fu, and some friend/idiot will start doing some flowery circling arms flailing manuver **** and say something really genius, like "Oh, kung-fu". I then step in and put my fist to their throat while saying an equally genius line like "We really just sit around all night and punch each other in the throat."

Sometimes they start their little video-game mockery again while waving their arms about, and say something else stupid like, "Oh, isn't kung-fu very blah blah circular blah blah soft?" So again I step in, place my other first on their throat, and say "Really, all we learn how to do is punch each other in the throat."

Dagon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 11:12pm

Style: shaolin temple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdweezil6998
    It's ironic that it's called a cultural revolution when a large chunk of their culture (maritial arts) became so watered down.
    you know what really suffered? I mean besides that...one thing that really suffered is the deposit of art. statuary...you go to luo yang and it's nothing but headless statues and armless statues- except for some of the really big ones. I'm generalizing but you get the point.

When I was in China, we were taken into this one temple, damned if I could remember where it was...I would have to look, but in one of the buddha halls, they bring us into a hallway that sits between the hall and the outside courtyard. It's just a long hall, with a curtain hanging there. They let us stand in there, I mean it was starting to get to where we were like, okaaaaaaaay...so here we are in the hallwaaaaaaaay....

Well this one monk, after we all crowd in and are standing there, he comes and stands at one end, the abbot stands in the middle of us next to Shi Yan Ming and Yan Gau, and they pull the curtain back...

Lo and behold, hidden behind the curtain was this sick painting, all done in ink wash, and according to the monk it was done without use of a brush but with finger dipped in ink...must have been 30 ft easy, with the Buddha on a lion and an Elephant...so the story goes that during the great leap backwards with the red guard raging through the city the monks took this painting and this is how they hid it, otherwise it would have been used to start cooking fires or some such **** like that.

I've told the story before about this painting and I will look for an image of it. It is pretty ill piece of work.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 12:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yea but MA is a small price to pay for a countrys unity, other wise they would be fighting each other, and they wouldnt beable to keep up with the rest of the world.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 12:30am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HwangJangLee
    yea but MA is a small price to pay for a countrys unity, other wise they would be fighting each other, and they wouldnt beable to keep up with the rest of the world.
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, was why the Cultural Revolution was both so harmonious and so productive.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 12:42am

Style: Hung Kuen, Jook Lum SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, you wanna know the REAL reason most Kung-Fu sucks ass?
    In the past several generations,Kung-Fu has been intentionally taught completely ass-backwards.
    Work with me.....let's look at it from a historical/practical level:
    so we go back in time, and warriors are fighting battles, kingdom vs kingdom.
    are you gonna teach your soldiers drill, drill, drill, conditioning, application,hands on, and fighting?-or forms first?
    fast forward-fighting in the streets-are you gonna teach drills, drills, drills, application,hands on and conditioning, and fighting first, or forms?
    fast forward again-no more battles, but schools are being set up-and of course fighting each other for domination-what do you teach first? Drills, drills, drills, application,fighting, hands on....or forms?
    Fast forward again-schools are set up and now they need more students, because Sifus are making a kliving teaching Kung-Fu, so you do public demonstrations, and try to attract new students. What do you show?
    A bunch of guys slamming each other, or really kewl looking forms?
    What do they want to see? What do they want to learn? FORMS!
    Fast forward again-Movies, Magazines, books, David Carradine, etc. Students want to learn the next cool form. "OOOHHH, the Mantis! Ahhhh, the Dragon!"
    Now schools teach forms first, then some drills, maybe hands on and they MAYBE learn real application...maybe.
    This leads to tournaments-forms competition, and ....sparring! Well, they can't fight with what they've been taught, allthe Kuh-rotty guys are kickin their asses, so ....they now incorperate kickboxing and tournament sparring into their curriculum. End result? Crap.
    If you can actually seek out and find a real Kung-Fu school, you will see mostly people hitting bags, focus mits, etc, LOTS of hands-on drills, lots of conditioning, LOTS of CONTACT..REAL KUNG-FU......very few students.

need I say more?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 1:20am

Style: shaolin temple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HwangJangLee
    HJL- that has to be a goddamn joke.

10Tigers-

To be honest, I would disagree with some of the points in your post, unless I am reading it wrong because my eyes are now bleeding from an aneurism HJL burst. I usually find the good 'ol days themed argument baseless...there are good schools and teachers now, and there were back then too...I think shitty training has always been with the martial arts.

I think you always had "good" and "bad"...I mean there is a long history of masters demonstrating to get students, so that's not really a problem or function of weakening today. The truth is more like **** floats to the top.

These days you have quick and easy access to see the bad, and the good, which was never really the mainstream, it is still there but as it always was, relatively obscure, not easy to find, probably a little too tough for the general populace, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 11:55am

Style: TaiChiPrayingMantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd agree with that.

TCMA (stressing the 'T') is generally tough and rigorous, but it doesn't attract people who like tough and rigorous. Grappling arts tend to attract people who enjoy that sort of thing, and its a fine match - they stay with their art and the schools grow and prosper. TCMA tends to attract people who love kung fu movies (dorks, like me I suppose), and of that section of society there's much less tolerance for 'tough and rigorous'.

That leads to TCMA schools that offer a 'truer' curriculum having fewer students, smaller spaces, and smaller public reputations - whereas a school with a fluffy curriculum will be able to maintain more of the 'we love Shaw Brothers and the Wu Tang Clan' (read: dorks) crowd and have a larger reputation because of its success.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 4:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Northern Praying Mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen the exact same thing. In my town there are two Kung Fu schools. I attend one, and had to locate it through a friend of a friend who met my teacher at a coffee house, and the other is offered through a gym. We hopped from location to location, training where we were able, and even for a while trained outside in a parking lot. WE have just recently gotten a permanent location, but are waiting to be able to move into it. The other school, as I have seen, is paid by the gym, and is ridiculously lenient with it's students. They go sit down and rest in the middle of drills, conditioning, stretching, etc. They have a big class, and we have a total of 5 people, including my teacher.

I'm damn proud of attending the school that I do, and feel that my teacher does an excellent job of keeping things realistic.

I think one of the problems affecting TCMA's is that by and large many teachers have seen the economic success that so many McDojos have had in the west. The public interest, I agree, is fueled in large by Hollywood bs blockbusters, and it's causing a flood of people who want to learn how to kill a guy with their pinkie, or fly through the air, etc. In response to this, the success of many Karate/TKD McDojos probably had an influence is prompting the creation of Kung Fu schools with similar credentials (No offense to Karate/TKD, just the most common stuff I see here). It's a system of positive feedback, and seems like as long as these guys can make a bundle, it'll continue.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 6:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial art movies ( I love em) cause crapy martial arts, because it usually shows fighting in an unrealistic manner. Fights are dirty, messy, confused and brutal.

People rarely see the realistic and ugle side of fighting. Violence is ugly but many don't want to admit that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2006 4:27am

Style: WSL Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course fighting is ugly. If you think it is all pretty "punch, block, kick, block, swirly backspin sweep" you're an idiot. I doubt anyone with any real brains would take kung fu movies seriously... I hope.... O__O
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast