Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2006 1:30pm

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    1/01/2006 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have told this before the last time this stupid topic came up but I'll repeat it again. My old trainer had a brother who got into fights every weekend. He was tough as nails and pretty hardcore but that all ended when he picked a fight with an armed off duty police officer who shot and killed him. 'Nuff said...
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2006 3:10pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think there's anything particularly hardcore about always picking on people who are weaker than you. But otherwise, sure if you do something a lot you're bound to get better at it (as long as you survive and don't receive a crippling injury)

Yes but street fights have too many variables, a brawler has to do hundreds of fights to start to pick up a few trick, if you get into a fight in a bar and go to the ground and then in the next week you get in a fight standing on the parking lot would that be considered 2 "training days" well yes but of two diferent "martial arts" if you get in a hundred fights in the parking lot and then come fight in a bar full of people and object (and glass and lava everywhere) how usefull would your brawling training be ? not much i think, you would have to fight in every possible scenario a lot of times to become good, I think at least, just an idea..

Posted On:
    1/01/2006 8:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that my post may have some things that need clarifying. Firstly, that dude isn't my friend. He has mental problems and I avoid him if possible. Secondly, I'm not in any way considering taking on the path of becoming a street bully.

Posted On:
    1/01/2006 8:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the more distressing problem is that someone with BJJ in their style field even had to ask this question.

Is this for or against the brawling method? Tank is at best below-average and lost to every recognized fighter on his record. He also doesn't have his own teeth if memory serves me correctly.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 1/01/2006 8:08pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 8:37pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you'd be better off finding a couple of guys who are willing to throw fists at you on a regular basis. At least you could get to know them a little bit, and they'd know what you're about. That way, they'd be more likely to stop when things get out of hand. If you start going out and picking fights with strangers, you're gonna either get injured, in jail, sued, or all of the above. You're also more likely to have the strangers friends jump in and gang up on you. If you really want to get hit, you're better off getting a group together and fighting one on one. You could even assign someone as a ref...just to break things up before someone gets seriously hurt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 4:32am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually,

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklepit.com
    he started wrestling at nine years, and at eighteen, became a junior college All-American. "I took up boxing at twenty-five. I was getting thrown in jail for fighting too much on the street. So I stumbled into the old boxing gym and started throwing the dogs in there, which just meant more fighting on the street. It was like, ĎNow I can box. Now I can punch and rip your head off,í" says Tank.

When David L Abbott debuted in UFC VI at Casper Events Center in Wyoming, he was labelled "Tank" and categorized as a "Pitfighter." In retrospect, Abbott says, "I didnít give a ratís arse Ė just let me fight."

Some other interesting quotes from the article:

'Even when UFC officials were unable to find a willing competitor to take on Maurice Smith in UFC XV, Tank Abbott accepted with only a last minute notice. At the time, Abbott described his preparation for the fight as being, "Three days to get from my bar stool to the Octagon."'

"I always hear people say things. It doesnít bother me one way or another. Theyíre a little beneath me to get under my skin.", Tank Abbot in regards to Hugo Duartes remarks before their fight.

'Tank says it was purely by coincidence that his first two opponents were the two biggest men in the tournament [UFC 6]. "It was actually by chance. They had lottery balls. I think it was by destiny. Itís no fun beating up little guys. You have to beat up the big guys Ė they flop on the floor more."'

'Abbott was the first competitor to wear mitts into the Octagon. Some spectators thought they were worn for his opponentsí protection, but they were to protect his own hands from breaking Ė a problem other competitors were experiencing. They were soon to follow Tankís example. "Thatís probably because Iím smarter than all those other dumb guys. Itís true."'

"Iíve been looking and looking, and Iíve seen many fights. And Iíve never seen anybody get hurt by being stared at. So I donít really waste my energy on that. I think when they get punched in the face they get unnerved. If I hit them right, theyíll get unplugged. No more electricity going to their brain." Tank Abbott in regards to stare-downs

'It would appear that Tankís street-fighting days are over. In the past, he would bait people into thinking they could take him. But today, even the bravest and most foolish steer clear of David L Abbott. "No one wants to mess with me. And if people get beat up, itís always by people who look like me. Itís never really me. If the cops call, I tell them it had to be a look alike. Itís never really me. And there are a few imitators out there, thatís for sure."'
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12