Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 12:38pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My girlfriend attended under Master KS Lee, her accounts of people getting belts even though they couldn't do a form or break a board was certainly enough for me.

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 12:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Why exactly is he Bullshido?
    These things doesn't help.

Tae Kwon Do is a Korean martial art that has been developed over 20 centuries. Since this is a method of self-defense, the practitioner is taught not to attack unless threatened. Tae Kwon Do includes a philosophy of self-control, kindness and humility to accompany the physical grace and power of the fighting skill.
    For two thousand years, Tae Kwon Do has been used to teach respect towards oneself and others. This respect can be a keynote in the development of a child’s discipline and character. The mind rules the body so, before a child in Tae Kwon Do can perform, he or she must learn to control the mind. Self-respect and parental respect are natural outgrowths of Tae Kwon Do training.

The goal of Tae Kwon Do is to make the individual aware of natural strengths and how to apply them to the greatest advantage. The many powerful and graceful movements of Tae Kwon Do will enable persons to defend themselves by using any part of the body, but mostly the brain. A person, therefore, will develop self-confidence because of the power and ability that has been mastered. This self-confidence can be carried to all aspects of life.

With the same training, a child who may "bully" other children finds release in Tae Kwon Do and no longer seems to need to engage in that behavior because of the discipline learned in class.
    http://www.nctaekwondo.com/taekwondo.html

Add to this 13 years old blackbelts, and even younger it seems by this pic:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 12:43pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay.

I'd personally like to hear more about her experience there, just out of curiosity. I have an issue of TKD Times (which I used to get before it became 80% ads) that had him on the cover and the feature story that month.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 3:16pm

Style: HKD, TKD, Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding
    While I don't agree with awarding kids black belts, the junior black belt isn't too bad an idea to my mind.
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have heard this before and I would like to chime in on it.

In my school, we have not, until recently, had a pee wee class. We would start students as young as 5. And while the vast majority of young students either quit or take forever to advance, I have a few young students that really excell.

I do not alter any of my belt or testing requirements based on age- with only one exception, chokes (I am hesitant to enforce intense choke demands on kids)- so as the kids advance, they are required to meet the same standards as my adult students.

I have 2 young students that come to mind here: a 5 year old boy, and an 8 year old girl. The 5 y.o. just took his yellow belt test (3 hours) and performed as good as most of the adults, and better than some. The 8 y.o. girl just took her brown belt test (4 1/2 hours- she has been with me for over 2 years) and also performed fabulously. She is one of the few students that really embraces her training at home as well as the dojang. She and the young boy both do their MA homework regularly, take on any challenge I issue to them with hunger and excitement, and are shining examples to not only other kids, but to my adults as well.

If these kids stay on course, the 8 y.o. will be elligable to test for her BB in another 2 1/2 to 3 years (making her 10 or 11) and the 5 y.o. will be elligable to test for BB in 4 1/2 to 5 years (making him 9 or ten).

Now my issue with witholding a BB until they meet some age requirement is that it is simply unfair to the student that meets all the requirements that are set forth for any student, then he or she is told that they cannot be a BB because they are too young. Even if they show more talent and heart than many of the other students that just happen to be older, they are denied the BB?

I am very much opposed to rushing anyone, adult or child, through the ranks as is the habit of most mcdojos. I do not sell belts, I sell information and the belt is reflective of that information. But to me, if any student, whether in a mcdojo or a more intensive/legit school, meets that schools requirements for any rank, they should not be denied that rank based on age.

My 2 cents...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 4:35pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It all depends on what you think a BB means or is supposed to signify.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    1/11/2006 6:37pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eh, even if the kid was getting a worthless black belt, at least he realistically understood his helplessness.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456