Sponsored Links Spacer Image

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 11:41am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How is your reach relative to the other guy?
    - What is your relative strength? Speed? Technical precision? Timing?
    - Are you relatively tall or short?
    - Do you kick better or punch better?
    - Do you have any tactics that you think you are particularly good at or even just better at than the other stuff you do?
    - What kind of fighter are you personality-wise? A bulldog? A clown? A chess player? What?
    - Hows your endurance?

And that's why there's no discussion - everything is relative. Or unique to the situation. It's not like grappling where if someone is going for a joint lock there are certain moves that give you the best chance to escape or counter.
    Last edited by PirateJon; 1/03/2006 12:01pm at .
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 2:20pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks omar, yeah thats sorta what im saying, I'm meaning stuff like what cro cop does
    I'v observed when he gets his left high kick, and most of the time, it isn't just when he gets the opening.
    look at the aleksander and igor fight, what I'v notice is he gets them messed up with the rythm of circling, sometimes when they start going TOWARDS his power hand, and it seems when he sees that, he waits for them to put their feet together and then WATCHA!
    i'm talking counter fighting, i'm talking offensive fighting, but not just what is what, but what behaviors make them up- BESIDES just pushing forwards.
    I'm extremely inarticulate, please bear with me, and what exactly is the difference between tactics and stratagy in just striking?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 3:04pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's kind of the problem. Like my coach says - you need to box to learn to box.

When you start to counter punch - you're trying to time the other guys punches. But they best way to do that depends on teh other guys style. He a jab poker? head hunter? or does he just want to stand and brawl?

I have an old pdf with some basics... This what you're talking about?

RING GENERALSHIP
    Ring generalship is a general plan of strategy thought out in advance of the bout which
    attempts to nullify the opponentís strength and take advantage of his weaknesses. It
    also means having the ability to adapt oneís style to that of the opponent.

How to Box a Tall Opponent
    1. A tall opponent is probably accustomed to having opponents come to him. Make
    him come to you.
    2. If he wonít come to you, move in fast and hit. Remain there if you are successful,
    otherwise move out quickly

How to Box a Rusher
    1. Sidestep and stick with the left jab followed by a straight right when possible.
    2. If the rusher gets close, shell up and move in, giving him no punching room.

How to Box a Jabber
    1. Keep your right hand in proper defensive position to catch the jab.
    2. Slip or duck the jab and move in to counter to the body or head.
    3. Continually force opponent and try to him on the ropes so that close range can
    be attained.

How to Box A Slugger
    1. Keep moving. Donít let your opponent get set.
    2. Move in quickly and launch a sudden attack.
    3. Move out quickly a nd donít slug.

How to Box a South -Paw (Left Handed Boxer)
    1. Donít lead. Make the south-paw come to you.
    2. All south-paws have very powerful straight left hands. Always circle to your left,
    away from the left hand. Keep your right hand tcatcherís mittj ready to catch his
    big left hand if he throws it.
    3. When the south-paw throws a jab, slip to his left and counter with a left hook.
    4. Remember the left hook is the most effective weapon against a south-paw.

RING STRATEGY
    ∑ Use your head. Eight with your head, not your hands, Out-think
    ∑ your opponent, and you will out-box him.
    ∑ Be in condition. Nothing makes up for good physical conditioning.
    ∑ Relax. If you are tense, you expend energy
    ∑ Know the fundamentals. There will be many chances to use them.
    ∑ Appear confident at all times. If you are hurt or tired, donít show it.
    ∑ Never forget that your opponent is as tired as you are.
    ∑ The left hand is the safest lead. Use it often.
    ∑ Keep moving. To stand in one spot means you are an easy target.
    However, donít jump around and make unnecessary movements.
    ∑ Carry your hands high at all times.
    ∑ Punch when your opponent is in range. If you wait, you will be punched.
    ∑ If a blow is missed or you are off balance, cover up and protect yourself.
    ∑ Puzzle the opponent by a variety of maneuvers. Rarely do the same thing
    twice in succession.
    ∑ Whenever your opponent gets set to hit, move.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 3:37pm

Style: MT (no, not "empty")

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strategy is your overall gameplan. Tactics are the techniques you uese to implement the strategy.

i.e. You are fighting a guy who is primarily a counter-fighter (e.g. Pedro Rizzo). He will not engage in a toe to toe fight and will attempt to draw you in and make you waste energy on attacks. Youre strategy is to disrupt his ability to counterattack with controlled aggression and unpredicatability.

Confuse him by using feints and misdirection (your tactics). Mix up your attacks. Force him to engage or get him into a corner/up against the cage where it is harder for him to back away from you attacks. Be aware you are probably in for a long fight as the counterpuncher is very patient and is used to taking some damage.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 3:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm extremely inarticulate, please bear with me, and what exactly is the difference between tactics and stratagy in just striking?
    Using one of your examples to make it specific:

Quote Originally Posted by FighterJones
    ...I'm meaning stuff like what cro cop does
    I'v observed when he gets his left high kick, and most of the time, it isn't just when he gets the opening.
    His strategy is to stay on his feet and take advantage of his superior striking skills, epecially his kicks to dominate the match.

His tactics include ut are not limited to:

- an excellent sprawl
    - standing up when he has the chance rather than conituing on te ground. He even steps back and invites the other fighter to stand rather than kicking them when they are down.
    - on the ground he stalls. He goes for a tight closed guard and double overhooks.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Based on years of kickboxing I learned one thing that I apply to every type of fighting:

OVERWHELM YOUR OPPONENT WITH OFFENSE.

Seriously. It is very rare that anyone wins a fight with defense. And in the 'reality' picture you aren't going to be blocking, slipping, and dodging every attack thrown at you. And that is where most martial artists slip up. They begin to over-analyze and play a cautious game thinking they will exploit openings, counterstrike, and defeat their opponent technically.

That method will work if the skill difference is high. Or the conditions are optimal. I believe, however, that blitzing people - and training to blitz - is the way to go. Simply overwhelm them. If you are thinking about 'the street' you have to realize the guy who gets the first shot in has a big advantage. And most fights are over in seconds. So make sure you get yours in first. And the best way to do that is to attack.

I don't care if you jump pump jabs in someones face. Or if you throw a 1-2, low kick combo. Or headbutt, elbow, knee. Doesn't matter. The trick is to take the initiative in every single encounter. Never let your opponent on offense. If he is on defense he cannot do much. And you minimize your chance of injury if they are covering up instead of trading blows.

Of course people are going to point out that a skilled fighter can take advantage of over-commitment, etc. Yeah. They can. But even skilled fighters fall prey to the blitz. Memories of BJ Penn v Gomi should come to mind. Granted not every fight is MMA, but we should all have memories of bad-asses just getting dropped by a guy who didn't wait.

I learned this lesson back around the 7th grade. Don't shout. Don't push. Don't posture. If you are going to fight it doesn't need to escalate. There are 2 modes. On and off. When you flip that switch to ON - the fight is ON. Full attack. Blitz. Doesn't matter if I just throw haymakers. Chances are if I throw first and often I am going to win. And if I don't win, at least I got my shots in and you will know I was there. I didn't stand there waiting for my perfect opportunity.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 5:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That pretty much sums up what I've seen in pretty much every brawl I've seen, except where there is a big difference in size/strength.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 8:51am

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    THanks guys, this is great stuff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2006 11:10pm

Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <I>Of course people are going to point out that a skilled fighter can take advantage of over-commitment, etc. Yeah. They can. But even skilled fighters fall prey to the blitz.</I>

Amen. Besides, you should be training so that you don't leave openings for people to counter, even when you commit. If all you ever get out of martial arts is the ability to come in strong & fast without leaving giant, gaping holes in your defense, you're in far better fighting shape than most.
    Last edited by Shillelagh; 1/10/2006 11:12pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12