Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 11:37pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Strategy

Kick-punch-elbow-knee-whatever
    But how do you determine precise strategy? I mean not just picking out their weakness's but the in depth strategy, I have no idea on this and I figured it would make a good thread so yeah.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/31/2005 9:29am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FighterJones
    Kick-punch-elbow-knee-whatever
    But how do you determine precise strategy? I mean not just picking out their weakness's but the in depth strategy, I have no idea on this and I figured it would make a good thread so yeah.
    You're going to have to explain what you mean a lil better. I don't know that it's any more complicated than using the best attacks against their weakest points.

My boxing strat = hit them more than they hit me. More depth? I have a good fast jab so I like to double and triple up on it.

Umm.. a guy at my gym has great speed so he lowers his lead hand way more than is safe. This opening is hard to resist but since he knows the punch is coming he's ready to counter punch when someone goes for it. It's a bad habit, but he's gotten away with it so far.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    12/31/2005 9:34am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My strategy is to defeat my opponent. I do that by utilizing what I've learned.

What exactly are you asking for dude?
    More human than human is our motto.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    12/31/2005 11:33am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Caveat: I am a noob to full contact. What I'm about to describe will sound stupid to more experienced people and probably change radically as I improve.

I am of stocky build (with plenty of fat to lose). I think even when I get my body fat to a respectable level, I will still have short reach for my weight, as I've always been broad-shouldered and heavy framed.

The little bit of success I've had in sparring has come from charging in close as I can. I get hit a lot, but at least I have a chance of hitting them back. If don't have the reach, or currently the agility, so although I get hit, I instinctively feel in more danger when I'm further away.

I don't aim for the body because I don't think I hit hard enough yet for it to do any real damage to somebody even roughly my own size, so I just aim for the head.

At the stage I'm at it's all a very simplistic game of 'I know I'm going to get hit, so I'll just try and make sure I get to hit them back'.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2006 1:04am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what's the context?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    1/02/2006 1:08am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you mean tactics. Strategy is different.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/02/2006 1:48am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he makes a mistake, I kick his face
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/02/2006 1:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. It should make a good thread. I am starting to see in the past couple days why there's a special technical forum for grappling but there was only a striking forum after a fair bit of pissing and moaning. And here it is........*owls hooting*.

Why the staggering lack of thought on the subject? It's an excellent question.

My boxing strat = hit them more than they hit me. More depth? I have a good fast jab so I like to double and triple up on it.
    That's it? That's all you got?

My strategy is to defeat my opponent. I do that by utilizing what I've learned.
    ....which says basically nothing.

Cullion came close to presenting something although it really is more tactics than strategy but the two are close but in the end he admits:

At the stage I'm at it's all a very simplistic game of 'I know I'm going to get hit, so I'll just try and make sure I get to hit them back'.
    I'd say that Fighter Jones first needs to get clear on the difference between tactics and strategy but even if we muddle that for now it really depends on who you are facing. This is a question that, if you are serious about yourself as a martial artist, you should be thinking about all the time. I'd say to make the question more meaningfull, like Maverick suggested, you need some context. We need some context to even contemplate any suggestions.

Since your profile lists mostly wrestling type stuff I'd say your general strategy should be to take the other guy down and work for position. But your here in the striking forum and you asked about kicking, punching, elbowing so I guess you mean you need a strategy to apply whatever striking skills you have?

Here's some questions to consider when developing your strategy:

- How is your reach relative to the other guy?
    - What is your relative strength? Speed? Technical precision? Timing?
    - Are you relatively tall or short?
    - Do you kick better or punch better?
    - Do you have any tactics that you think you are particularly good at or even just better at than the other stuff you do?
    - What kind of fighter are you personality-wise? A bulldog? A clown? A chess player? What?
    - Hows your endurance?

After you've given some real thought to these questions then you can get to work deciding what kinds of strategies can be effective for you.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Posted On:
    1/02/2006 2:17am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    If he makes a mistake, I kick his face
    I got a friend you'd like. She uses the same line. Although normally she says, "If you piss me off, I'll kick your face.

Posted On:
    1/02/2006 2:24am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omar made some very good points.

Before we can discuss strategy, we need to know what we're working working with. What tools do you have at your disposal? Are you talking ring strategy or street? Stand-up or ground? Both?

These, the things Omar mentioned, and other factors determine strategy.

Strategy determines tactics, which is what many here are confusing. Tactics are "I've got a good fast jab and a good left cross, so I'll use the jab for a set up and finish with the cross. " Tactics are "fake low, hit high".
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast