Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 2:17am

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Starting a cult for profit... thoughts?

I watched the South Park episode on Scientology last night and it got me to thinking.

I work a boring office job, making just enough to pay my bills and fund my martial arts training (something I care a lot more about than my job in terms of emotional investment). The problem is that I'm the kind of person who gets nervous about not having enough money. "What if I get into a car accident or something", I find myself thinking, "I might miss a really good class on toe hold - knee bar combinations."

So I'm wondering if there might actually be money to be made in starting a cult (or, if you prefer, a "new age community"). And, if so, are there any ethical problems in starting a quasi-religious group/organization based on things I believe to be untrue purely for monetary gain. I mean, I know there are, but I'm wondering if they are enough to outweigh the potential benefits.

And as I spend more time looking at McDojos, I realize that the structure of increased payments for "special classes" and gradings can easily be carried over into a cult. Payments for "special seminars" where "secrets of the organization" are revealed, for instance. And charging for increasing rank in the org based on "attainment and increased enlightenment."

What do you think, good idea?

please note, I am in no way saying that Scientology does any of these things. Just sparked a train of thought.
    Last edited by Captain Spaulding; 1/03/2006 2:19am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 2:30am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe the biggest concern you should consider is whether or not you will go to hell. Barring that ad baculum argument, maybe you should consider the normal code of ethics that people follow. Unless of course, you happen to be a sociopath/psychopath; then none of that should be applicable to you.

Also, I would claim scientology does all of the above things. That and Tom Cruise is a glib asshole.

:deadhorse

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 3:55am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding
    And, if so, are there any ethical problems in starting a quasi-religious group/organization based on things I believe to be untrue purely for monetary gain.
    Other than the fact that it's completely unethical: go for it.

However, if you won't let the fact that what you are planning is unethical, look into the possible legal consequences before going further.

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 5:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I started a cult, itd be something along the Raelians. Not only the guy profits widely from it, but he has a bunch ot really hot women who must dress provocatively and have to please him in every manner he wants to... by contract!

That way you would get tons of money and sex. What else could you ask for?

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 5:51am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ethics, what ethics? Why be held down by artificial abstract constructs, made up by primates barely more intelligent than yourself? Go for it!

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 6:01am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It won't work because losers who whine on the internet about wanting to escape from their office job don't have the force of character required to properly manipulate their followers.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 6:16am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eh, I dunno, Hitler didn't seem to have much force of character when he couldn't get accepted to art school or promoted past Corporal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 9:47am

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought about that for a bit. When you read about a cult or hear about one on tv, they usually describe the leader as charismatic. I'm many things, but charasmatic isn't one of them. I was curious, however, about the possibility of hiring someone who was (and a good actor) to be the visible leader of the group.

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 10:33am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I charge $50/hour for impersonating a cult leader. If you want me to get you laid by a handful of beautiful women, then the cost raises to $75/hour. If you'd like brainwashed, disease free women that see you as their messiah, then the price is $100/hour.

Look for coupons in the Reader.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 10:53am

Style: hackery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we are forgetting Koresh here. Now THERE's a guy who knew how to party.

You really need long, flowing hair. The ex-rocker vibe has sooooo many benefits to it.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast