Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    1/22/2006 2:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSLightsOut
    What the **** is a Black belt technique?
    OK, that does sound pretty stupid BUT you knew what I meant. A beginner at anything needs to start with the basics. If you move straight to the most advanced stuff you can find, without mastering the basics, you aren't better off. Trying to learn how to do EVERYTHING at once will only make you perform everything poorly...nothing will be mastered.

I used to coach 6 olds in baseball. The year consisted of "try to hold the ball like this" , "hold the bat this way", "run threw first base...DON'T STOP ON IT!!!" This kind of stuff was repeated all the way into the final game. At no point during the season did I say "Today we're going to learn how to hit the ball over the fence, throw an off-speed pitch, and how to kick dirt on the umpire."
  2. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    1/22/2006 2:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    I think it means his scissor sweep sucks.
    That goes without saying :help:
  3. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    1/22/2006 2:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    \By which I mean his whole game is probably ****.
    :icon_conf You got me again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2006 6:37am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    OK, that does sound pretty stupid BUT you knew what I meant. A beginner at anything needs to start with the basics. If you move straight to the most advanced stuff you can find, without mastering the basics, you aren't better off. Trying to learn how to do EVERYTHING at once will only make you perform everything poorly...nothing will be mastered.

I used to coach 6 olds in baseball. The year consisted of "try to hold the ball like this" , "hold the bat this way", "run threw first base...DON'T STOP ON IT!!!" This kind of stuff was repeated all the way into the final game. At no point during the season did I say "Today we're going to learn how to hit the ball over the fence, throw an off-speed pitch, and how to kick dirt on the umpire."
    I was really venting my frustration at the concept of a technique which a black belt can execute flawlessly, but no coloured or white belt can touch without looking like a clown, which seems to be perpetuated over and over again on the internet. Not have a go at you.

I understand and wholly agree with the concept of teaching basic stuff first. Similarly to your baseball coaching experience, I currently teach BJJ to kids during the school year. Trying to explain such concepts as 'taking the back' is sometimes a struggle. New adults are similar in some respects.

However, to continue your baseball analogy, isn't hitting the ball out of the ground just a logical and more technical extension of the act of hitting the ball? More advanced BJJ is similar. I started exploring the possibilities of the guillotine choke two years ago. It's possibly the simplest conceptual maneuver in BJJ. I'm still learning new stuff about the 'simple' guillotine choke. And let me tell you, the subtleties are myriad. There's a whole cornucopea of stuff there that's kept me busy. My training partner, a triangle demon has observed similar things about the triangle choke.

There always seems to be a hell of a lot more to those simple things than you might think. Things you could spend a lifetime exploring.

Black belt BJJ, which I have seen on a number of occasions and been lucky enough to be on the receiving end of, seems to be basics refined to an extremely high level, and a number of other features that I've enumerated in the thread I started shortly after writing that post.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30809

Posted On:
    1/22/2006 4:27pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Entire Post
    I think what has really drawn me to BJJ and kept me there is the subtle nuances. It's a martial art that is easy to become "functional" in (meaning you would have some sense of ground awareness and have a vague idea of what to do on the ground), but has nearly infinite depth. It's like human chess, really. You can learn how the pieces move and develop some basic skills in a few months, but you can go MUCH MUCH MUCH further than that.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 7:30pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to think that cross-collar chokes were low-percentage, except on a complete n00b, until I actually started to nail them on some good and very good experienced guys.

The reason that I started to get them was largely due to my usual mode of closed guard at the moment, that is, working with one hand deep in the collar to break posture, and the other hand working the arm. Once there, it's a matter of simple opportunism. Break your opponent's posture enough, and it's simplicity itself to reach over, grab the shoulder, and crank it on.

If you think that they're lame, most likely you suck at applying them.
    I've been having big success lately using the cross-choke/scissor sweep combination found in "The Essential Guard." Establish one hand in deep (thumb in is better than four fingers), then move to latch in the cross choke on the other side while simultaneously sliding to scissor guard & threatening to sweep. If his hands defend the choke, he's got no posts & gets swept; if he pays attention to the sweep, he gets choked. Finishing it usually takes me 3-4 times rocking back & forth, the sweep getting closer & the choke getting deeper each time, but so far I'm close to 100% with it.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345