Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 1:50pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We went over baseball bat chokes from knee-on-belly yesterday. I brought up the one from guard, and my instructor showed me how one of our brown belts likes to spin to it from standing. He choked a guy unconscious once by doing it, and as the guy tried to mount him, he rolled belly down (giving up rear mount), at which point the guy went out laying on his back.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also a way to attack the turtle.

Dunno if everyone will like this one, but hey I have to try this "objecting myself to scrutiny" thing.

If you pull people down from the front and they grab for your legs for instance. (Be careful to not let the get too good a grip on those legs though. That's kind of obvious anyway)

grip for a regular BBBchoke as close as you can, then either push his head down to get him to want it back up, or lift it quickly to get some space in front. Then spin yourself into the bottom of a n/s (while keeping one arm on each side of his head.) Let's say your right hand is the one pointing up toward you and your left is pointing down, then you should spin to the right. Always spin toward the hand facing up. Let your elbows meet for the choke.

This is an ok start, I'd want to be a little bit further away. From there, get a hold of the gi like mentioned and keep him down. If he wants to push his head up, let him and spin. If not, a small lift by simply lifting off your knees by straightening the back and pushing your hips forward is enough.

And if you fail, you're stuck in n/s, so.. don't.
    More human than human is our motto.
  3. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 2:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Everyone does collar chokes, most everyone thinks they are lame. Given that I've gotten maybe one cross collar choke in my life, I agree.
    Lama,

He said that the generic cross choke was lame... :dontknow:

I wonder if I should go to my next BJJ class and state this as my own opinion? Would that be wise? I wonder what would happen to me.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 2:32pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    Lama,

He said that the generic cross choke was lame... :dontknow:

I wonder if I should go to my next BJJ class and state this as my own opinion? Would that be wise? I wonder what would happen to me.
    Having rolled with Bruce before, I suspect he would tap you out repeatedly using only gi chokes.

Edit: And he would probably snicker to himself while doing it, too.
    Last edited by Cassius; 1/20/2006 2:37pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
  5. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 2:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lama must not be on right now...

I asked him because at the Bloomington Tourny in November he said, "Man, your school loves that cross choke." Hell, even I did it in my first match. It was unsuccessful for me, not because it is "lame" but because I was nervous as hell and had POOR technique.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 3:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lama must not be on right now...

I asked him because at the Bloomington Tourny in November he said, "Man, your school loves that cross choke." Hell, even I did it in my first match. It was unsuccessful for me, not because it is "lame" but because I was nervous as hell and had POOR technique.
    I'm really not a big fan of it, but that's kind of because I split my time roughly 50/50 gi/no gi. Also, I have huge, wide hands, short arms for my height, and a big chest. It's just hard for me to sink, even when I'm drilling it. I play with the collar a lot and will sink variations occasionally. I've never gotten the generic guard x-choke before on an opponent worth his salt, but I've also never given it much of a chance.

It's on my list of things to play with . . .

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 3:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    We went over baseball bat chokes from knee-on-belly yesterday. I brought up the one from guard, and my instructor showed me how one of our brown belts likes to spin to it from standing. He choked a guy unconscious once by doing it, and as the guy tried to mount him, he rolled belly down (giving up rear mount), at which point the guy went out laying on his back.
    Having the guy on your back and his having to tap is hilarious.

I'll have to try from standing some time. Seems like you'd have a hard time getting the grip, as opposed to the cross collar variant where you grab the shoulder.
  8. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 3:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know my school...basics basics basics I will learn black belt techniques when I'm a black belt...if I live that long.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 6:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    I'm really not a big fan of it, but that's kind of because I split my time roughly 50/50 gi/no gi. Also, I have huge, wide hands, short arms for my height, and a big chest. It's just hard for me to sink, even when I'm drilling it. I play with the collar a lot and will sink variations occasionally. I've never gotten the generic guard x-choke before on an opponent worth his salt, but I've also never given it much of a chance.

It's on my list of things to play with . . .
    Size doesn't really matter for the x-collar choke if you're setting it up properly.

From closed guard, try living with one hand deep in a lapel to break posture, and one hand grabbing an arm for arm drags. Your opponent often will have lousy posture which is when you grab the top of his opposite shoulder to your collar grip, and choke him into next week.

You know my school...basics basics basics I will learn black belt techniques when I'm a black belt...if I live that long.
    What the **** is a Black belt technique? Honestly, I'm sick of this myth being perpetuated over and over again. So sick of it, in fact, that I'm going to start a new thread about it

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 7:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSLightsOut
    Size doesn't really matter for the x-collar choke if you're setting it up properly.

From closed guard, try living with one hand deep in a lapel to break posture, and one hand grabbing an arm for arm drags. Your opponent often will have lousy posture which is when you grab the top of his opposite shoulder to your collar grip, and choke him into next week.
    Like I said, I never gave it much of a chance, but I like the armdrag setup. Thanks.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast