Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 9:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    Good point Cullion. That is something that we will look into adding further down the road.
    The thing about 'fingers to the eyes' is that you will never be able to practice it full contact and safely.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 9:19pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cause people are out getting laid. I have a girl, or else I'd be out tryin to get laid too.

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 9:25pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    The thing about 'fingers to the eyes' is that you will never be able to practice it full contact and safely.
    Very true. In my life I've only used a spearhand once, and it was to the throat. It was pretty effective, but I'd have to chaulk it up to luck more than accuracy. IMO, there's not really any need to practice spearhands when punches to the face can inflict the same amount of damage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 9:41pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A question to the CMA'ers, what is Yi Quan? Seems like they're developing some decent fighters in China, what kinda style is it?

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 9:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a synthesis of Taiji, Xing Yi and Bagua. Wang Xiang Zhai was the founder. It's a new style, like maybe 50 years or so, and the founder was extremely good at all the 3 styles I just mentioned. He decided that trying to keep up with all the forms and practices of all 3 was just too much so he simplified everything down and created a style who's basic practice is standing meditation. That's almost the whole thing. Just standing and a few simple fa-jing drills. His wish was to distill the 3 big internal styles down to their essensce.

The general idea is to build strong structural integrety and internal principles of motion and then the specifics of what techniques you use are pretty much up to you. Also, he placed a huge emphasis on the health and longevity aspects of his practice over fighting although he was said to have been strongly influenced by his students bouts with western boxers of the time and their typical "fighting stance" reflects this.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 10:52pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the link Quickjab. But I can barely stomach looking at that Chinese MMA website. I was there in 2003 pushing the MMA idea on friends of mine that were in the Martial arts community and had the financial resources to really make it successful and all I heard from them is, "I think your mistaken, Chinese people won't really enjoy this kind of competition, it's too brutal" :icon_cry:

Now someone else went ahead and got it started and will now make all the money. Man that pisses me off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 11:49pm

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surely some dude with San Shou and some ground fighting would do well in MMA comps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2005 12:06am

Style: Moo Thai & Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried to get other students interested in sparring when I did Mantis. I think the style is sound but wanted to try it on for size. Other than the senior student, there was little interest. I left.

There was some sparring in Krav but not quite enough for my liking. We (about 4 of us) would hang around after class on Saturdays for 2 hours and do some standup and groundwork. I got the feeling that the instructor didn't like this too much, I always felt awkward so I left.

I stayed with both of the above schools for 1 year each. I was happy not sparring immediately but after about 6 months, when I was confident with the style, I felt the need to see how it works.

Also I had a huge advantage over most of the other guys I was sparring with because I had sparring experience that, even when I was faced with something I had never done before, such as ground-fighting, I could go about it in a relaxed manner. Most of the other guys would gas-out after about 20 seconds, even quicker if they were exerting themselves.

IMHO if the instructor is not going to support sparring then it is disrespectful to force it upon them or their students, it is after all their school. If it's not what you want out of a MA then leave. I have found that cross-training has actually improved my base MA (Muay Thai).

Posted On:
    12/31/2005 1:31am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You don't need chest protectors.
    I'm going to use this comment as a springboard for a general observation.

Some people do "need" them -- in a sense. It's psychological and has to do with what kind of commitment they have to live training and hard contact.

My sifu mandates eye (in case an open hand goes astray, since we often start at crossed hands) and mouth protection for anybody who's going to spar, and will probably add light gloves down the road. I suppose my school would be a bit better than the #3 category in the post (with the added flaw that we don't have the space to train the way we want all the time yet), in that the teacher believes progressive resistance and live training are best, and provides coaching in such, but he does not *push* students in this direction. There are some nice laidies and gents in the Tai Chi class who have no interest in application, and aside from doing to to ensure the energy is there in the form, my teacher doesn't push them in that direction. He's willing to work with students up to their level of comfort.

All the same, it's worth noting that *all* the elder siblings spar, including at least one woman who came in through Tai Chi and seems to feel that the fighting is not her focus, but is needed for her to be an "honest" member of the kwoon. Another did well in a couple of sanda matches when he went on a training holiday in China, but again, he has other interests.

I suppose what I'm saying is that kung fu's is good at being an "open door" for beginners, but if it *stays* too "open," you get folks putting in time with little fighting skill to show for it. At the same time, though, I think it's a *good* idea to walk a while with people who are not ready to jump straight into hardcore training, even if it requires a few props that might be unnecessary in the long run. The timid people are the folks who have the most to gain, after all.,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2006 7:24am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFS USA
    This has been flamed through - worked through before.

It all comes down to personal responsibilty. What some Sifu, Teacher, Coach, Instructor "says" about whatever MA you are learning under them is irrelevant. If anything, any statement by "them" should be taken as a "clue" to go acid test it.

Learning in a MA context = permanent change in behavior with martial skill sets being nothing more than acquired behaviors, e.g., you no longer flinch and duck your head when someone punches at your face, you slide to the side and blast the mutherfucker.

NO Teacher can "put skill into your hands" ... To EARN dangerous Hands you MUST engage in dangerous practice.

You fucking kids can point the finger of blame at anyone you so desire and it won't change a single thing. The only way change can and will come about is if you look at yourself in the mirror and honestly declare "You are responsible."

You make it "right" or you make it fucked up ... at the end of the day your MA development is YOUR responsibility ... 100%.

Really begs the question: Why play at being a Victim when you can be a full up Predator? The BEAST
    nicely put.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast