Sponsored Links Spacer Image

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 3:58pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CMack11,
    I do believe your right. It is somewhat shortsighted and idealistic and would only work if Kung Fu practioners as a whole made a move to quality instructors. I also agree that having some Kung fu/Sanshou fighters making an impact in MMA would greatly help. Thanks for the critique.

Satori,
    Your right this is a problem that is shared by many martial arts styles not just CMA, I'll let someone else address the problems in those arts. Unfortunately, as you stated, economics is a huge factor and it would be difficult to keep students if sparring was done early on, which I would not advocate. But sparring after they have some months of training under their belts would be ok, and even then it would be optional. I think the main problem is schools that don't even have sparring classes as an option.
    I too have had my face kicked in by TKD guys, are some of those guys wicked fast or what?

Cullion,
    I to agree that chest protectors are not absolutely necessary, but as I said my partner has little sparring experience and I'm rusty, we're naturally progressing toward not using them.

Dagon,
    Yes shitty instructors = shitty sparring. I'm glad you brought that up, I forgot about that point when righting my original post.

unpossible,
    I liked your commentary, good points. I was simply coming from the idea that people take MA to learn to defend themselves or fight, not considering the large consumer base that will train MA for other reasons.

Thanks for the input everyone, hope to hear more.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 5:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This has been flamed through - worked through before.

It all comes down to personal responsibilty. What some Sifu, Teacher, Coach, Instructor "says" about whatever MA you are learning under them is irrelevant. If anything, any statement by "them" should be taken as a "clue" to go acid test it.

Learning in a MA context = permanent change in behavior with martial skill sets being nothing more than acquired behaviors, e.g., you no longer flinch and duck your head when someone punches at your face, you slide to the side and blast the mutherfucker.

NO Teacher can "put skill into your hands" ... To EARN dangerous Hands you MUST engage in dangerous practice.

You fucking kids can point the finger of blame at anyone you so desire and it won't change a single thing. The only way change can and will come about is if you look at yourself in the mirror and honestly declare "You are responsible."

You make it "right" or you make it fucked up ... at the end of the day your MA development is YOUR responsibility ... 100%.

Really begs the question: Why play at being a Victim when you can be a full up Predator? The BEAST

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 6:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input JFS. I had seen some of posts on other forums and hoped you would drop by.
    It being the practioners responsibility was my major point, I just wanted to be more diplomatic about how I stated it, being a noob an all.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 6:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    Cullion,
    I to agree that chest protectors are not absolutely necessary, but as I said my partner has little sparring experience and I'm rusty, we're naturally progressing toward not using them.
    What kind of head protection are you using ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 6:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cullion,

We haven't decided yet. Right now all we have on hand is TKD headgear, but we were looking at those headgears with a plastic cage in front. We are planning to allow open hand strikes to the face and want the cage to prevent accidental eye damage.

I have generally used boxing headgear in the past, but that was when I was also using boxing gloves, that kind of headgear won't stop a finger in the eye. Any suggestions? I would appreciate your opinion and recommendations.
    Thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 7:32pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Cmack, seeing some CMA in Pride or UFC would help CMA's out and inspire young MA'ers to get involved with CMA's the same way it has increased BJJ and Muay Thai participation in th U.S. It will encourge sparring and help root out some the Bullshit.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 7:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cullion,

We haven't decided yet. Right now all we have on hand is TKD headgear, but we were looking at those headgears with a plastic cage in front. We are planning to allow open hand strikes to the face and want the cage to prevent accidental eye damage.

I have generally used boxing headgear in the past, but that was when I was also using boxing gloves, that kind of headgear won't stop a finger in the eye. Any suggestions? I would appreciate your opinion and recommendations.
    Thanks
    Where I train the sparring is generally in 10oz boxing gloves, and we use headgear that's like boxing headgear, but with a bar over the nose to stop it breaking. The more experienced people sometimes don't wear headgear.

It's enough to look ok at work the next day most of the time, but you will still get dizzy when a good punch lands. The chin is still open to a ko shot.

When you say 'open hand strikes to the face' are you talking about 'spear hand' type strikes ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 7:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't Luke Cummo a Kung Fu - BJJ high bread fighter?

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 7:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cullion,

How would it be different from a closed hand strike in this instance?

Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    Isn't Luke Cummo a Kung Fu - BJJ high bread fighter?
    I think he's a Taoist, but I don't know about his training.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 7:48pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's a Jeet Kune Do stylist, or at least thats what they introduced him as in the TUF 2 Finale
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast