Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 1:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BALEETED

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

1911 Parts and Ammo!

There have not been enough gun threads in this section to my liking so i figured I would just start one.

As some of you know i jsut purchased my first handgun: Safari Arms 5" MatchMaster. It's a 1911 style .45 cal. (duh)

Anywho, now that I've had it for a while I'm ready to start upgrading it. What i'm not looking for is to upgrade the trigger... I absoultly love the triger on this gun. I am however looking to upgrade the extractor, firing pin and maybe and extended ejector. I'm really looking for just any sugestion on where to get parts, what to order and if possible where to find a good gunsmith in MD (frederick area).

Also I am looking for a holster, most likely a shoulder holster and I am looking for a good brand.

And then lastly also what ammo would you suggest for target shooting. First time out I shot some godawful winchester value pack, and am not doing that again...

I am also open to sugeestion on other upgrades that you would suggest. I am looking to shoot competitivly in the future so and suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
    Andrew
    Last edited by Japuma630; 12/30/2005 1:43pm at .

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 2:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I load my own.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 2:31pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    .45 ACP 1911's are good handguns....military used to have them, but as far as I know USMC now uses the M9 Baretta (which is known to armed forces members as being crap). Why they changed it, I don't know.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 3:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you don't reload, Winchester White Box would have been my suggestion. What didn't you like about it?

There used to be some South African stuff called Sellier and Bellot that was cheap and great, though just a tiny bit hotter than the standard 230 gr. "GI load." I don't see it much anymore. It had a weird rim that doesn't hold up to reloading quite as well as other brands, but that's relative. I haven't bought any for several years and I'm still loading those S&B cases.

My main requirement for practice ammunition is that it be cheap. This is why I load my own 230 gr. FMJ and 185 gr. semi-wadcutters. It's cheap and I have the load pretty well figured out for accuracy now. It's much more accurate than I am, unfortunately.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 4:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The box i had may of just been an anomoly but the whole package had glue on lots of the casings. because of that i wasted atleast 15 rounds out of a 100 rd box.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 8:03pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Larson
    .45 ACP 1911's are good handguns....military used to have them, but as far as I know USMC now uses the M9 Baretta (which is known to armed forces members as being crap). Why they changed it, I don't know.
    Where'd you get that info? When I was in, the Marines were the remaining holdouts for the .45. I don't know any leathernecks who used/preferred the Beretta.
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 8:41pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? Wierd.

I have my ol' Guidebook for Marines they issued to us in basic. It was made in the 80's. Even in there, it shows the current service pistol: The M9 Beretta.

Most people agree that it's a piece of crap compared to the .45, but they say it might have to do with politics.

Edit: http://www.marines.com/page/usmc.jsp...hRedirect=true

There it is...9 milly too. :jerkit2yf

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 9:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Marine Corps currently issues the M9/Beretta 92 just like everyone else.

The MEU/SOC group of Marines do use a Kimber 1911 clone, but that's a relatively small group within the Corps (itself a relatively small group.) Basically a special forces group within the Marine Corps. And it was only introduced fairly recently.

You can buy a pretty close version of the MEU/SOC pistol from Kimber, but I forget what it's called. Warrior? Something like that.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 11:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, the warrior is right... its a pretty awesometastic gun...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/31/2005 3:55am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sellier and Bellot:

...is Czech. I just got some for Xmas.

Parts:

www.brownells.com

Wilson Bulletproof extractor should do ya. You can see and feel the difference in your hand.

I never hear of firing pin problems. Why do you think you should replace it?
    Last edited by Nid; 12/31/2005 3:58am at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast