Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 6:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's about the difference between a being hit by a baseball bat which is attached to a fast-moving loose flywheel, and once which is welded to a ratchet which is still connected to the engine.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 6:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which one am I showing?
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 6:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're showing the one connected to the gear, attached to the engine I think.

Please understand that I am no expert in any MA, but I do have a good education in mechanical principles.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 6:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't mean it as a challenge. I really wanted to know which way you were seeing it and not make assumptions. That's all. Not arguing with your metaphors. You presented two of them and there's only one kick up there so I couldn't be certain which metaphore you meant for the clip.

Thank you.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 7:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A couple of question Omar.

I can see how that "kick" could be harder than others because you are probably "rooted" more, if that's the proper term.

Is there any way I can see this kick in action, without going to China?

Do you thinks it's more powerful than other round kicks?

If so is it because you've practiced it more or because you the mechanics of it are easier for you for whatever reason?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 7:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    every step is a kick, every punch is throw
    every kick is a step, every throw is a punch

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 8:01pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    A couple of question Omar.
    Keeping in mind what shooter said I will try to anwer your questions.

I can see how that "kick" could be harder than others because you are probably "rooted" more, if that's the proper term.

I don't know if it's "harder" but I am confident that it is "heavier" than others. ie. I have knocked people almost over when they blocked it well. Once I threw one at waist level which he blocked with a knee and I knocked my partner down. I'm not sure why he hurt his leg and I was ok. It's usually the other way around with those things. Something about the way I can modulate the momentum to protect myself.

Is there any way I can see this kick in action, without going to China?

I'm sure there is but it might have to wait untill my next visit home. I can make sparring clips but the only people I have to work with on stuff you would appreciate are tomato cans and I work with them more as a coach than as a partner. My own teacher doesn't allow video and he doesn't do high kicks. I wouldn't be able to explain what's going on with his stuff anyways.

If you still want some clips of me sparring with a relative noob then I can probably get that done but it will take a while.

Do you thinks it's more powerful than other round kicks?

Not necessarily. More deceptive though. There is an awful lot going on that no one has notived yet. Check the "Muay Thai Roundhouse" thread for clues.

If so is it because you've practiced it more or because you the mechanics of it are easier for you for whatever reason?

I don't practive it. I practive the footwork drill. I improvised the kick on the spot to try and explain something I was thinking on the other thread in my talk with Kidspatula. I also don't have any stretching routine and I did those kicks without a warm up in a room that was in the low 30's (F). I think the temp that night was 3 or 4 degrees celcius.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 10:32pm

Style: Kung fu, Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I see it now, the fact you turned all the way around in the first clip threw me off a bit. So instead of rotating on the ball of your foot as you twist to kick, you step with the toes pointed to the outside and then twist your body toward that direction as you kick. I see how that could be considered heavier or more rooted since your foot does not move as the rest of your body does, which would provide more balance. And also, in this way, it would seem to me that it would add a little extra power with your planted foot and leg acting like a coiled spring. It's interesting, as I'm more used to rotating on the ball of my foot.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 10:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    Cullion tagged it.

It would have been more fun if neither of you saw the kick first. But since you did, compare the footwork. It's a quicktime clip so you can drag it through the clip at whatever speed you want and reverse it and all.

Fact is, I don't really practice round kicks anymore. I practice bagua stepping which I have adapted in the second clip. . . .which I'll repost later after ..with a little luck, some more folks have looked at the first one and ended up either just sratching their heads or flaming me as a chi hugging pansy.

I made the second clip, Cullion, specifically for Kidspatula after we had an exchange about the relative merits of flat footed kicking vs. ball of foot kicking.

Now take the extra imaginary step and see how the footwork relates to punching. I purposely left my arms loose at my sides so that it wouldn't be obvious. Understand that this is how I learned how to do low kicks and knee strikes as well. It's all in that first clip. Something I was, untill a couple months ago, practicing about an hour a day with at least 2 or 3 90 minute sessions/week.

I'd really have to see this footwork in action. Just looking at the video it looks really awkward to me and appears to limit your mobility. The whole crossing of the feet thing anyway.

When you circle in, is that the point at which you'd normally be kicking?
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 11:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I'd really have to see this footwork in action. Just looking at the video it looks really awkward to me and appears to limit your mobility. The whole crossing of the feet thing anyway.
    You mean when he changes orientation? I didn't see him cross his line, he stayed on it.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast