Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 9:27am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The clip you intended to put up looks like you are demonstrating bagua circle stepping footwork which allows you to rotate your whole body around (say, for a thai-like round kick) without having to 'float' by going up on the ball of your foot.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 9:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cullion tagged it.

It would have been more fun if neither of you saw the kick first. But since you did, compare the footwork. It's a quicktime clip so you can drag it through the clip at whatever speed you want and reverse it and all.

Fact is, I don't really practice round kicks anymore. I practice bagua stepping which I have adapted in the second clip. . . .which I'll repost later after ..with a little luck, some more folks have looked at the first one and ended up either just sratching their heads or flaming me as a chi hugging pansy.

I made the second clip, Cullion, specifically for Kidspatula after we had an exchange about the relative merits of flat footed kicking vs. ball of foot kicking.

Now take the extra imaginary step and see how the footwork relates to punching. I purposely left my arms loose at my sides so that it wouldn't be obvious. Understand that this is how I learned how to do low kicks and knee strikes as well. It's all in that first clip. Something I was, untill a couple months ago, practicing about an hour a day with at least 2 or 3 90 minute sessions/week.
    Last edited by Omar; 12/29/2005 9:51am at .
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 9:50am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by supercrap
    I gotta admit, I don't really know what it has to do with kicking. It looks to me like somethingfrom baghua. i dont see the soles of your feet much. A few years ago, when I was a wing chun nut and into all that stuff, I probably would have told you.

Now, if it doesnt look like a kick, i dont see how it trains a kick. Im not saying it doesnt, im just saying I cant see it.
    Well, at least now you understand the context of my original post and my curiosity that you even knew what you were looking at. :toothy9: Like I think I already said:

Compare the footwork. ( and the body method. )
    Last edited by Omar; 12/29/2005 9:52am at .

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 12:44pm

Style: One-armed flailing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    Fact is, I don't really practice round kicks anymore. I practice bagua stepping...
    Ok, call me naive here, but why not practice the actual kick anymore? I understand the value of form, and it seems like your movement is smooth and highly-trained. However, in my personal opinion, there is always room for improvement in ones basic strikes. I like to warm up with footwork and shadowboxing type techiniques (with footwork too), but I don't see how it's good practice to not train the power of your kicks along with the finesse. Maybe you have your reasons, but you didn't make them too clear in any of the posts. Thanks for bearing with me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 1:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because he's not practicing to improve kicks, strikes, techniques, or skills.

He's playing with an idea that addresses a different perspective on continuity, and the perceptions that movement creates...maybe

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 1:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omar,

Could you repost the kick vid file. Because I'm having some issue with what you're saying and your application of the mudslipping dynamic. But before I talk out of my rectum, I'd like to see the way you throw the thai roundhouse.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 3:10pm

Style: One-armed flailing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter
    Because he's not practicing to improve kicks, strikes, techniques, or skills.

He's playing with an idea that addresses a different perspective on continuity, and the perceptions that movement creates...maybe
    I have no idea what this has to do with kicking someone. Please expalin.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 4:36pm

Style: Kung fu, Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not seeing how you would put the kicks and stepping together. Would you be kicking during that turn while keeping your toes pointed inward? Because that seems a little awkward to me.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 4:42pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can try using the Bullshido video uploader, unless you like playing tag with yousendit every couple days.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 6:29pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the suggestion Aesopian but I finnaly got the clip up onto putfile. I had to configure a proxy server and the server was slow and I just left it running overnight to get it done.

http://media.putfile.com/footwork23

Matt,

Here's the kick:

http://media.putfile.com/kicking-drill

Better to not call it a Muay Thai round. I can throw a pretty standard Muay Thai round but this isn't it. Not exactly. It starts off kind of like one but there's something very different going on here. It's almost not even a kick really.

Old Man Withers, Matt and Sidran, match the footwork from the first clip to that of the kick.

Sidran,

Would you be kicking during that turn while keeping your toes pointed inward? Because that seems a little awkward to me.
    Ooh..that's prett good. The kick is the turn, and vice versa. Pay special attention to my foot placement in the kicking clip. The translation is even more direct for knees and more direct still for low kicks.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast