Style
    Pukulan Pentjak Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Newbie Intro + FAQ #4

Hey, My name is Anthony D and I am a student at the UW in Seattle, WA

I studied a relatively obscure Indonesian Martial Art called Pukulan Pentjak Silat with private instruction off and on for about two years (probably about the equivalent of 2 years in a group class but I couldn't say for sure) The style borrows from (read blatantly steals) many styles like Wing Chung, Hung Ga, Muay Thai, and Silat and blends them all into one very fluid form that is characterized by the counterattack and handspeed. Kicks are all below the waist and strikes are primarily to the head or other hard regions and as such, Pentjak is an open palm style. Jabs and aggression are not a part of the core style and the majority of the time is spent getting hit and not letting it phase you as well as developing reflexes that stop you from getting hit in the first place.

Anyway, to continue with the introduction, I worked on my Pentjak skills to the point where i am pretty confident in my mastery of what I know, but unfortunately, my instructor and I had to part ways (so if you know anyone who knows this style let me know!) since I wanted to continue doing martial arts, I eventually joined the Hung Ga club at my school and now train there every week at the Intramural Athletics Association building

Style
    MT noob, BJJ even noober
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido, Anthony!

There are a few Silat practioners around here. You might have better luck hooking up with them by going to the "The Kempo, Kajukenbo, and Kali Forum." Click on Traditional Style Forums at the top of the page and you'll see it on the page that loads. Good luck, and welcome again.

Style
    Boxing, Rowing Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you do in Hung Ga?

Stu xD

Style
    Pukulan Pentjak Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mean, what is the training regimine, or what are the basic techniques?

It's a hard, tight style that focuses on quick and brutal attacks. Since I do the club through the UW IMA, where in-class contact is strictly forbidden, I don't get much sparring practice like that, but my teacher of Hung Ga recently decided to just say Fuckit and so now we're doing full contact (with pads) sparring on Monday "after class"

But I'm not sure that's what you were asking?

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshlyMinted View Post
    You mean, what is the training regimine, or what are the basic techniques?

It's a hard, tight style that focuses on quick and brutal attacks. Since I do the club through the UW IMA, where in-class contact is strictly forbidden, I don't get much sparring practice like that, but my teacher of Hung Ga recently decided to just say Fuckit and so now we're doing full contact (with pads) sparring on Monday "after class"

But I'm not sure that's what you were asking?
    Are there any soft, loose styles that focus on slow and harmless attacks? I guess Tai Chi meets that description. But I think every striking style that claims to be for actual fighting focuses on hard, tight, quick, brutal attacks. The kind of things that, y'know, end fights?

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You weren't with Kelly Worden by any chance?
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshlyMinted View Post
    time is spent getting hit and not letting it phase you as well as developing reflexes that stop you from getting hit in the first place.
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Are you training to cope with getting hit through sparring, or there are some other methods you use?

Style
    Pukulan Pentjak Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Are there any soft, loose styles that focus on slow and harmless attacks? I guess Tai Chi meets that description. But I think every striking style that claims to be for actual fighting focuses on hard, tight, quick, brutal attacks. The kind of things that, y'know, end fights?
    haha, I suppose. I suppose I mean it's more about attacking than countering... so not aikido. But all styles have a combination of techniques involving hardness or softness and the ratio is what I'm talking about. There are maybe 3 soft blocks in Hung Ga as opposed to Wing Chung whose blocks are mainly loose and fluid-like but whose strikes are hard.

So I guess maybe I'm getting at the notion of flow? Hung Ga attempts to disrupt is whereas something like Wing Chung or Pentjack attempts to move around it and something like Aikido tries to turn it against the source.

Style
    Pukulan Pentjak Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Wheel View Post
    You weren't with Kelly Worden by any chance?
    Nope, never heard the name before

Style
    Pukulan Pentjak Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefron View Post
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Are you training to cope with getting hit through sparring, or there are some other methods you use?
    Eventually, yes, but in the beginning, it's just the teacher or students taking punches at one another. One being aggressor, the other the defender that kind of business.

One of the really fun training techniques is someone straps on the tank suit (huge amount of padding) and just bum rushes people who do whatever is necessary to take them down

Although in the VERY beginning there are just some flow drills