Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 11:20pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as the getting attacked by a sword in modern day thing, http://www.thearma.org/ used to have a page that just collected news stories of sword assaults. I can't find it now. If anybody knows where it is, please leave a link.

Anyways, machetes and big kitchen knives and camping axes and stuff like that are all common. Besides, those questionable (at best) statistics quoted in this thread still show more melee weapons (if you add all the non-firearm weapons) used in attacks than guns. Wait, I just questioned the stats and then right afterward used 'em to prove my point... aw, **** it.

Fencing Instructor

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 12:17am

Style: Sabre/Rapier/Katana

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He could have. You go to the ground under conditions of taking someone down there. Being taken unwillingly down there. Or when a dive is the ONLY thing you can do. He could have kept his feet, slipped wide and moved. But then, demos of unarmed versus swords are kind of off at best..

Other than that, a lot looked like pretty basic rehearsed drills for the most part. Valid things if you can get them to work, but the vids don't suggest a lot of acid testing (they don't suggest anything really).

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/26/2006 12:24am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used oni kudaki and henka of it on a few occasions during my security work, they've always worked pretty well for me as it's more locking the elbow than anything. I've used musa dori once in my security work, and that was when I got bit by Lawrence, the heroin shoplifter. If you're not training to use them realistically, then no it's probably not going to work but if you work with them, they can. I've pulled off musa dori once or twice from the clinch as since your arms are already there it's as good a place to try it as any, but as for omote gyaku, never, and ura gyaku, like twice if that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 12:40pm

Style: Taijutsu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The clinch is a great start for arm locks of any kind, I love it when someone goes to the clinch with me because I **** their arms up so fast they don't know what just happened. I love musha dori as well, it's my favorite joint lock and it's extremely reliable. All you gotta do is bend their arm a little bit and the matter is pretty much setteled. Musha dori into a ganseki nage is a favorite combo of mine (but for shoplifters / policework the basic move is better.)

P.S. swords are more common than you think.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 4:14pm

Style: None at the moment,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rolling away from a sword attack???? I can imagine someone using high level Parkour skills to remove themselves from the situation but basic Ninjutsu doesn't look like it would cut it anymore. It's funny how the Parkour scene has embarassed all the wannabe Ninjas, by being able to really jump across rooftops and scale buildings.

I attended a Ninjutsu (Bujinkan) class many years ago where we did a few interesting roll variations. I was wondering if any of you taijutsu practicioners could recommend a DVD that has all of the roll and breakfall variations within Ninjutsu. The basic shoulder rolls wouldn't interest me but from what I did in that class years ago I suspect there's a few variations I don't know about. This isn't a wind up because I can honestly say that rolls and breakfalls have saved me from injury many times.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Chance; 1/27/2006 4:16pm at . Reason: typos

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 4:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coming from a Scottish Judoka by any Chance?
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 4:39pm

Style: None at the moment,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know what you mean but I'll take this opportunity to say I love your cartoons the origins of jump kicking one is absolute class I've sent that to so many people. No I'm not Scottish and not a Judoka just sincerely interested in the more unusual roll variations in Taijutsu. I have a collection of VCDs on some of the more pictographic Chinese martial arts for the same reason, not combat based just save your neck rolls and breakfalls.
    Last edited by Chance; 1/27/2006 4:40pm at . Reason: Scottish with a capital S!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 6:10pm

Style: Taijutsu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why wouldn't rolling from a sword attack be a good idea?

You've got all the good stuff in 1 motion.

You
    A) Present a smaller target
    B) Become a more difficult target to hit (moving target)
    C) Remove yourself from danger
    D) Position yourself to defend or counterattack

And you can always roll even if you're completely off balance. You don't always get the option to jump out of the way of a swinging object if you're off balance or it's coming from a certain direction, etc.. You can hit the ground and move any direction you want to even if you were off balance before. You can also fall faster than someone can try to cut you with a sword or hit you with a large stick/ 2 by 4.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 6:46pm

Style: Judo, Iaido and jodo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "A) Present a smaller target"

That's really not that helpful, anyone with even a tiny bit of training will still be able to hit you.

"B) Become a more difficult target to hit (moving target)"

Rolls usually stop though. To stand up you'll be stationary for a moment.

"C) Remove yourself from danger"

Not really you've still got someone with a sword.

"D) Position yourself to defend or counterattack"

You sure? You're on the floor or having to stand up while a sword is very close to you...

To be honest when I've done that I always wondered why, if there's enough room to roll, then why don't you just step out the way or run away?

"You can also fall faster than someone can try to cut you with a sword"

Depends who's doing the cutting.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 6:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chance, thanks and also sorry, mistaken Id
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast