Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 11:37am

Style: wrestling, Bjj, fi ting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sword work is for entertainment purposes only! WTF is rolling away from it going to do? Why even bother with it? Why bother wasting your time coming up with a defense of it? You are never going to get attacked by a sword. Here are some stats for you:

Voilent cimes commited in the United States in 2003 involving weapons:

205,896 hand guns
    189,765 Knives, box cutters, and other sharp objects that are under 6"
    179,528 Clubs and other blunt objects
    185 Chain saws
    15 Chickens or watermellons
    0 by sword weilding ninja's, pirates, knights, or swashbucklers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 11:46am

Style: Shaolin Kung-fu, FCS, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno, I have a hard time seeing how a person is just going to stand there while you perform your arm circles to take him down....The first video wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...except for the fact most of them looked very geeky, and the gun thing...

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 1:56pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It is a demo

Quote Originally Posted by Satori
    This will probably get thrown in "Your Martial Art Suck", as the "Does Ninjutsu Work?" argument has gone on for quite a bit.

Rather than form opinions based on a video about an entire art, ask someone like Shinbushi.

The videos looked silly, and even the first one seemed very slow and sloppy for a demo.
    I looked at the first one. I hate it when some sites don't work in firefox!! :qbluepira
    It was a sloppy demo. ALL the demos I have done in Japan and here are rehearsed. A demo should be like a movie fight scene. Not pressure testing. The demo was not too bad needs a lot more polish for an audience. The sword ukemi drill should be left out as it is an ukemi drill not a sword evasion drill and looks dumb in a demo. Some demos I do are traditional kata, modern applications or a mix depending on the venue and the audience. If you are at a Japan festival than the modern applications won't go over well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 2:15pm

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PEtrainer
    Sword work is for entertainment purposes only! WTF is rolling away from it going to do? Why even bother with it? Why bother wasting your time coming up with a defense of it? You are never going to get attacked by a sword.
    Tell that to THIS guy. :icon_wink http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=samurai+sword

Police have opened a homicide investigation into the death of a man who was reportedly slashed with a samurai sword early this morning at the Waimalu shopping center on Kamehameha Highway.

Police were told that the victim was attacked by a group of men about 2 a.m. and was slashed in the neck and cut in the back, shoulders and chest area by one of the men who used a samurai sword.

The injured man was taken to Pali Momi Medical Center where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

No arrests had been made in the case as of 8 a.m.
    Quote Originally Posted by PETrainer
    Here are some stats for you:

205,896 hand guns
    185 Chain saws
    0... that you KNOW OF! :lol:

In all seriousness, thanks BigNinjaPimp. That's several minutes of my life I will never get back.

And Baguamonk, what's the point if it only works against "untrained people who aren't bigger than you"?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 3:58pm

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    . The rolling to evade the sword was solid.
    The roll was fine in and of itself, but the other guy could have just as well FedEx'd the sword and gotten it there sooner (and with less tell) :smile:

For the first video, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are a fledgling shibu/training group that is isolated from solid instruction. Everyone looks quite inexperienced. They often start in some static posture and quickly abandon form once the "action" starts, and got lost mucking around with what they probably think looks like complex henka but pays no attention to balance and space. The leg/foot work is very sloppy--they are thinking from the waist up which is a no-no (especially with their apparently level of training). I would like them to consider that kamea tell you how to MOVE, not how to stand.

Assuming its a group of college students casually studying under a young dan-grade for maybe a few months, its not ALL bad for a demonstration. What would a most of you detractors look like putting on a public demo, I wonder?

The second video is amusing. I think it's probably related to some bizarre mix of fake Brazillian ninjutsu and aikijujutsu which I've seen floating around before.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 7:56pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sweats
    Seriously? The rolling around when the guy had the sword seemed pretty bad to me. Granted, I don't know **** about sword work. However, it looked like he could have easily gotten the guy with the second swing, but he just pulled it.

Actually, rolling away from a sword is faster then running. Remember, most good Ninpo Taijutsu Schools will spend as much time rolling as TKD schools do kicking. As Spunk mentioned before, that wasn't a technique as much as its a drill. It is to be noticed that was half of Ichimonji no Kata from Gyokko Ryu Muto Dori Taihen. My only issue will that part of the demo is just stand up and almost gets hit. If the demo was to run away he should of rolled again to a gain a bit of space or finish the damn kata that involved staying low and counter attacking.

As I said before, the locking was not very good. Looked like a bunch of kids with 6 months of expirence. But I seen way way worse from much higher ranks in the Bujinkan. Hell I know a local 10th Dan Bujinkan that can barely roll.

As for "Can this stuff be applied?" Yes, I do many of these techniques and have used them successful in sparring and at Throwdown (Hell I did that jump on the back Choke at the Dec MD TD). Of course there is little/no resistance, it a fucking demo. Its a skit. The average person rather watch WWE then UFC, I know I found UFC boring till I started Martial Arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 8:19pm

Style:  fc karate, wrestling,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PEtrainer
    Sword work is for entertainment purposes only! WTF is rolling away from it going to do? Why even bother with it? Why bother wasting your time coming up with a defense of it? You are never going to get attacked by a sword. Here are some stats for you:

205,896 hand guns
    185 Chain saws
    Cept if you're in Austrailia :shock:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 10:00pm

Style: Martial Arts man!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think some of you guys are missing the point. Are they a better 'fighter' or more able to protect themselves as a result of their training? The answer is yes IMHO. Most 'ninjas' are the everquest type dorks, they could not fight anyone, anytime anyhow. They could not even beat up an ant. At least this way, they can protect themselves. THey all looked fairly nimble in both of those clips so that is pretty good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 1:57am

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As Spunk mentioned before, that wasn't a technique as much as its a drill.
    That was Shinbushi, BTW.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2006 10:49pm

Style: Daito Ryu Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only way to know for sure is to go get in several fights and limit yourself to only those techniques. BTW--I don't recommend actually doing this.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast