Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 10:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    Highlighted text, however, I think demonstrates your own bias.
    Perhaps.

As I lack total immersion in BJJ culture and curriculum, I have only the observations I have made through board members, fight footage, old gracie videos and books, and rolling with the odd BJJ-er that comes in to Crawford's for reference. Under these conditions I have observed a heavy reliance on the guard for the set up and execution of subs, and for the defense of takedowns. I yield to your superior knowledge of BJJ, as you contend that this is not the case. (this is not sarcasm, If you do in fact know more than me on the subject, I happily stand corrected.)
    BJJers may love the guard and exploit the hell out of it but the point is always to get to mount or submit. Tournament rules encourage the former.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 10:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    If it makes you feel any better, I didn't start playing with x-guard or de la riva until I was a blue, and I don't use "rubber guard" at all. I don't think spider guard wouldn't really work for no-gi grappling, so there would be little point to you learning it.
    I've little idea what the hell x-guard is. De la riva really is about exploiting combat base. You're off base on spider though, it is the only good open guard I have no-gi. Generally you're controlling their arms, which intuitively has an mma application.

From what I've learned about rubber guard, you might actually like it for your sub grappling style and MMA, though. Just not my cup of tea, currently.
    That's what Bravo's press releases seem to imply. The only aspect I've worked with any diligence has been rubber-omapalata sweep.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 10:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    MMA is a ruleset under which Martial Artists compete, and a training method for that sport competition.

We nailed this down a long time ago. It's a misnomer to call a style MMA, regardless of how many people use the term that way.
    Regardless of your opinion, and the appropriateness of the name, it most certainly is a style.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 10:49am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Regardless of your opinion, and the appropriateness of the name, it most certainly is a style.
    Given the fact that we're working to define terms and set a baseline of standards...

Anyway, yeah, I'll probably have to concede that since it's well entrenched.

So more or less, this discussion is kind of moot if AJJ is just a branded form MMA (which it is).

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 10:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Other bizzaro names:
    Brazillian JiuJitsu.
    Makes no sense.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 10:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    As far as why I do it, it kinda formed out of neccessity- I wasnt a heavy guy, in fact I was a kid when I started training against adults who were much stronger and had wrestling experience- natrually I ended up on the bottom alot.

My philosophy as to why I emphasize the guard so much is because being on your back in a fight is the worst place you can be. If you make the worst position in a fight your best technical position, then you'll be ready for when things go wrong.
    Great post about what bjj is all about.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 10:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the only real difference here is that a lot of BJJ guys view the guard as an offensive position (which it can be), regardless of whether or not it's an optimal one. MMA rules change how the guard is used because you're getting punched in the face, hence a lot more closed guard work with the legs to hold off the GnP.

So like I said, this is more about BJJ vs MMA.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 1:43pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've little idea what the hell x-guard is. De la riva really is about exploiting combat base. You're off base on spider though, it is the only good open guard I have no-gi. Generally you're controlling their arms, which intuitively has an mma application.

That's what Bravo's press releases seem to imply. The only aspect I've worked with any diligence has been rubber-omapalata sweep.
    I found this several weeks ago regarding the X-Guard : http://www.grapplearts.com/X-Guard.htm

How it is used is beyond my comprehension since I'm a n00b, nor do I know it's effectiveness or validity... totally off-topic, but I though it would be to post the link since this guard got mentioned in this thread.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 2:48pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    I found this several weeks ago regarding the X-Guard : http://www.grapplearts.com/X-Guard.htm

How it is used is beyond my comprehension since I'm a n00b, nor do I know it's effectiveness or validity... totally off-topic, but I though it would be to post the link since this guard got mentioned in this thread.
    The point of x-guard seems to be to use your opponent's base against him. There are good sweeps there, though I'm not a huge fan of it, currently. I am pretty green at getting into it, so that might be why I dislike it.

You're off base on spider though, it is the only good open guard I have no-gi. Generally you're controlling their arms, which intuitively has an mma application.
    To each his own I guess. Do you still grip like a standard gi spider guard or is there a no-gi version that I am not aware of or that I don't have the same name for?

Scrapper: To be honest, you might actually know several of these positions without "knowing" that you know them. I never thought I knew what de la riva was until I asked my instructor about it. He explained that he just calls it an outside hook, and that he had, in fact, taught me this before. I realized he was correct after he showed it to me again. It's possible that you've been in lots of different "guards" in a transitory manner without knowing their "famous" names.

Posted On:
    1/04/2006 2:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which is true, because our terminology sucks.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast