Sponsored Links Spacer Image

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 2:02pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xaviertr
    A quick update- After being exposed as a fraud, Thomas Turpen has changed his tune. Instead of claiming to be a closed door disciple of Master An, he now only claims him as his sifu. Just another example of his backtracking since he was busted. You can see it on his myspace- http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=124993845. I have begun outing him to those on his myspace and am about 1/3 of the way done. Spread the word! Let others know about this fraud!
    Excellent news, though I don't even know why he would claim him as his teacher when he only trained with him for 3 months. FYI, anybody who comes across this thread and in contact with Tom, Do not let him give you acupuncture treatments! Master An allowed Tom to give him treatments for his knee once and the treatments actually made it feel worse. I have had to listen to Master An bitch about this on more than one occassion.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 12:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: modern combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He claimed him for two reasons- first, Master An is a noted chinese master. Second, An speaks mandarin, which makes it hard for non-mandarin speaking students to verify Tom's claims. Tom is a very smart con-artist. He built his fantasy with a maze of hard to check out references. He can speak intelligently about all aspects of the martial arts, which gives him credibility in most peoples eyes. One thing is for sure, it is all talk, as he does not have the skills to back it up. Looking at it now, it is amazing how it was right in front of us and we didn't see it. The only time I've ever seen him demonstrate his skills was in slow motion self defense sets. I'd bet my reputation that if you added speed to the equatiuon, he would go up in a puff of smoke.
    Last edited by xaviertr; 2/19/2007 12:48am at .

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 9:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He claimed him for two reasons- first, Master An is a noted chinese master. Second, An speaks mandarin, which makes it hard for non-mandarin speaking students to verify Tom's claims. Tom is a very smart con-artist. He built his fantasy with a maze of hard to check out references. He can speak intelligently about all aspects of the martial arts, which gives him credibility in most peoples eyes. One thing is for sure, it is all talk, as he does not have the skills to back it up. Looking at it now, it is amazing how it was right in front of us and we didn't see it. The only time I've ever seen him demonstrate his skills was in slow motion self defense sets. I'd bet my reputation that if you added speed to the equatiuon, he would go up in a puff of smoke.
    I also speak Mandarin so I knew right from the start that Tom was BS about his Baji credentials. Master An's Senior student also knew because 1. he had seen Tom's "skills" in person, 2. the Senior Student's wife is also Chinese and would translate as necessary. But if someone was left without the necessary information to check his references, it would be difficult to confirm Tom's credibility due to his work to keep it concealed.

That's something I could never figure out, why would students in Columbus go to Tom for training when they could just go to Master An? Did they not know that Master An was still in Columbus? Or did Tom feen them some BS excuse to keep them from doing so?

I actually had dinner last night over at the senior student's house and Master An joined us. During our discussions another point was brought up that none of us have even bothered to verify, Tom's military credentials. Do you know if these are legit? Or is this just possibly something else he added to make himself seem credible? I don't have specifics, just that he was in a branch of the armed forces and was part of their language training program that's where he first learned Chinese and some Italian. Later he went to China to continue his language training and that's where he met his wife. It was indicated that he went to China as part of a military program, not after he was out of the military. But I could be mistaken about this point.
    Last edited by Ronin.74; 2/19/2007 9:33am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 11:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tom tols his students that he taught a combative form of kung fu that master An did not teach. Studying with An represented dead, traditional kung fu without real self-defense skills. That kept most of his students from seeking out Master An.

We have not been able to verify his military claims. Someone who knew Tom told us he was seperated from the army during basic training, but this is third-party information. It seems Tom adjusted the lie, depending on who he told. We were told that he was a military interrogator that was sent to the DLI (defense language institute), where he learned Italian. He later learned Chinese when he went to acupuncture school. Supposedly, when he finished the DLI, he had a christian "awakening of conscience" and could not continue in the army. Tom has jumped back and forth from Christianity to Taoism, to Buddhism even during the time I have known him. So I don't know the truth to his military claims, although if his M.O. stays consistent, it is a lie built on a half truth.

Oh yeah, one of the things Tom told his students was that if they studied with master An, they would learn modern wushu, which he called a dance form. Since he was a "closed door disciple" of An's he was privy to the real kung fu (i.e.- Bajiquan) that An taught. So studying with Tom meant getting real kung fu. That is one of the things I personally heard him tell students. People buy into this ****, because they just don't know better and they trusted him.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 12:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tom tols his students that he taught a combative form of kung fu that master An did not teach. Studying with An represented dead, traditional kung fu without real self-defense skills. That kept most of his students from seeking out Master An.

We have not been able to verify his military claims. Someone who knew Tom told us he was seperated from the army during basic training, but this is third-party information. It seems Tom adjusted the lie, depending on who he told. We were told that he was a military interrogator that was sent to the DLI (defense language institute), where he learned Italian. He later learned Chinese when he went to acupuncture school. Supposedly, when he finished the DLI, he had a christian "awakening of conscience" and could not continue in the army. Tom has jumped back and forth from Christianity to Taoism, to Buddhism even during the time I have known him. So I don't know the truth to his military claims, although if his M.O. stays consistent, it is a lie built on a half truth.

Oh yeah, one of the things Tom told his students was that if they studied with master An, they would learn modern wushu, which he called a dance form. Since he was a "closed door disciple" of An's he was privy to the real kung fu (i.e.- Bajiquan) that An taught. So studying with Tom meant getting real kung fu. That is one of the things I personally heard him tell students. People buy into this ****, because they just don't know better and they trusted him.
    Bwahahahahahahaha! LOL! that is some funny ****. Allow me to clarify in case any of Tom's students or former students are reading this. Master An does teach modern Wushu to some of his students because that is what they are most interested in learning at this time. They are forms competitors so they want to learn the modern forms for competition. He also has students that only study Tai Ji, because that is what they wish to learn.

I only train empty hand Baji forms and applications. I have sparred with other students at Master An's request, full contact, and I dare say that if it was necessary (i.e. someone came in to challenge) I would be Master An's first choice to step up and handle the challenger. Master An does teach real self defense skills based on Baji, and even though he s almost 70, I would not want to tangle with him. His ability to execute short power techniques has always greatly impressed me, and when I was regularly training with him he would routinely check our defensive skills. (This was normally tested by him casually walking by or while talking to someone else as I passed, then he would suddenly lash out and try to hit me in the nuts. I have found over the years that he only does this to the students that he feels are capable of stopping the sudden attack, to this day he has not successfully landed a ball strike on me. Each time I defended I was often met with a smile afterwards and a simple "Good" in English.)

The reason Tom could make such incorrect statements is because 1. he did not stick around long enough to actually learn anything regarding application, he was too interested in gathering as much information in a short time as possible, and 2. he probably did not exhibit the necessary skill level that Master An would feel acceptable to start focusing on application. I cannot speak for Master An regarding his reasons, these ideas are purely my own opinion and speculation.

Incidentally if any of Tom's former students are interested in training with Master An, please feel free to contact me via this forum and I will give you our current training location and pricing.

Xavier, do you know how much Tom was charging per month and are you willing to share that information?

Regards,
    Ronin74

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 12:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe that he was charging between $80.00 and $120.00/month. It depended on the type of class. His former, top student will be able to shed better light on this, when he gets around to posting.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 12:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe that he was charging between $80.00 and $120.00/month. It depended on the type of class. His former, top student will be able to shed better light on this, when he gets around to posting.
    Master An's rates are right in the middle of that pricing. I expected that Tom was charging much less hence the reason students came to him and not Master An.

I look forward to hearing from Tom's former student.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/19/2007 3:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some interesting things I came across when I searched "Tom Turpen" on the internet to see if it would bring up this thread or the Geocities website article.

http://www.usakungfu.homestead.com/testimonial.html

So Jeff Schnapp is 10th dan in Yu Hua Moo Sool. Pretty sure that he made that system up and named himself the Grandmaster (This is my opinion, I have trained KMA both in the U.S. and South Korea and have never heard of this style, if anyone has any information about Yu Hua Moo Sool I would love to hear it). He also compares Tom Turpen to Chuck Norris, Hee Il Cho and Bong Soo Han.

http://www.combatsanda.homestead.com/sifu.html
    So Tom is a "Combat San Da" instructor but he himself has never competed in San Da or ever sparred to anyones knowledge.

I am sure that there is more out there just waiting to be found.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 12:27am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The combat san da was something he did, as an effort to fuse close quarters combat with kung fu. Tom would study something for a short time and then try to teach it. We gave him enough grief that he didn't really follow through with the combat san da thing. I am a combatives instructor with 27 years of traceable martial learning and teaching and real world combatives skills has been a hard learned progression. I have always been at odds with those who take a week course in krav maga or K.I.L.L. combatives (just kidding!) and then promote themselves as instructors. If you haven't BTDT, you have no business teaching combatives. Tom is definitely not a BTDT guy, although he embellished his employment in a mental facility and time on their crisis response team, to sound like he was a S.W.A.T. operator. When I spoke with the facility about their crisis response team, the psychiatrist I spoke with laughed and said, "crisis response is 12 staff members bum rushing a patient, everyone grabbing a boddy part, and a nurse giving ativan via injection while the rest of the group put the patient in restraints. This was a far cry from the stories Tom tells.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 2:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually Tom's Combatives are completely from video. He stole stuff from Tony Blauer, Kelly McCann, Hock Hockhiem, Krav Maga, etc. that looked like it would work in his kung fu. He has absolutely no clue about the realities of conflict or how to put the combatives into action. I hope for his sake, he never gets into a real altercation, or like Miyagi said- Squished like grape.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast