Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 10:02pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why do heavyweights SUCK??

In both Boxing and MMA, the heavyweights have become a pathetic bunch. To the point that when I see they word heavyweight in either MMA or Boxing, I feel like changing the channel. Alot of the good heavyweights are now foreign born, so it has lead me to the theory that all the athletic big men in the U.S. become basketball or Football players. Which leaves Boxing and MMA with the leftovers.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 10:28pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickJab
    In both Boxing and MMA, the heavyweights have become a pathetic bunch. To the point that when I see they word heavyweight in either MMA or Boxing, I feel like changing the channel. Alot of the good heavyweights are now foreign born, so it has lead me to the theory that all the athletic big men in the U.S. become basketball or Football players. Which leaves Boxing and MMA with the leftovers.
    They dont suck.

They are just bigger and therefore have to carry around more weight to perform their tasks in fighting. Therefore they arent as flashy and spontaneous as is the case with the lighterweights. Cro Cop and Arlovski arent pathetic with their striking. Crisp punching and kicking. Powerful too. Mir is a heavyweight that is a good grappler.

This thread fucking sucks too.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 10:28pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    define pathetic. :new_smile
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 10:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cro Cop, Fedor and Arlovski are good. Buentello isn't very good, but he's at least entertaining. Other than that, who is really out there. It gets worse with Boxing. Rahman is decent, Toney is good for a blown up middleweight, Bryd is skilled but boring.
    I would pay to see Cro Cop, Arlovski and Fedor. I would pay to see Toney and, maybe, Rahman. After that? Who?

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 11:00pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are talking about strictly boxing, then yes Heavyweight divison fucking sucks. Just wait, there are fighters out there and we are just in a bad period.

Soon someone will come out of the works and start dominating. I'd watch Sam Peter fight.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 11:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think there are several avenues you can pursue with this. I'm going to throw out some ideas and I hope several of the other "more of us to love" members chime in as well...especially those with athletic experience or who have frequently been around larger athletic types (wrestling, fighting, traditional sports, etc).

At 6'6" 240, I fall into the heavyweight category most certainly. I can tell you from a young age, being tall and not suffering from white man's disease, I was quickly pushed towards volleyball, then basketball. I didn't have the opportunity to start trying MA until my late 20's.

I think most athletic big guys are pushed into traditional sports as opposed to something such as boxing.

Another point to consider is someone fitting the heavyweight profile is probably a smaller overall % of the population. An athletic heavyweight...especially with elite level athleticism...may comprise less than 1/2 of 1% of the general population. You have less of an initial genetic draw to begin with.

Finally, you have to take into account the heavyweight style of fighting. Most big guys are the equivalent of tanks...they can take out and deal a great deal of punishment. Due to pure physics the chances of them looking as quick or pretty as a much lighter fighter doing the same is fairly slim.

So do heavyweights suck? I don't think so...I think that is a rather poor statement that was probably misworded more than anything else. I believe you could justify the fact that there is a paucity of "good" heavyweight fighters but your top level "bad" heavyweight would still kick the crap out of everyone on this board.

I think you are confusing "good" with entertaining and the smaller fighters will almost always have an edge in the entertainment arena.

Gringo Grande
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 1:20am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The defense of shitty heavyweights by saying they would kick the crap out of us isn't a good comparison.

Considering I don't think a lot of Heavyweights are on this board. There are a ton of athletic guys who are in the heavyweight division with extreme athleticism.

Guess what they do for a living? They are all in the NFL, that's right. All the large extremely athletic guys play in the NFL. So I wouldn't say that 1/2 of 1% of the population possess what it takes to be a great fighter.

I think the Heavyweight division is lacking skilled fighters at the moment, and one who I thought was going to atleast bring some justic to the heavyweight division retired.

So in other words, just wait. There will some more great heavyweights on the way, we just have to wait for them to come.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 1:45am

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Err...that's what I said. You've got a very, very small percentage of humans to begin with...the majority of them are going to be directed towards the NFL or the NBA, not boxing/fighting. That is why so many of the heavyweights "suck" as you put it...they aren't getting the best of the athletes who would be heavyweights. Of course there will eventually be a great heavyweight again...it is basic statistics. One day, some elite level athlete will grow up and be taken in by a trainer and trained to be a great fighter instead of a great NBA or NFL player. It seems to happen in boxing every 15 or 20 years or so although I am by no means any type of authority on boxing...it bores me actually.

Gringo Grande
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 1:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funnt you mention the NBA. NBA shooting Guard/Small Foward Kendall Gill has just began his Boxing career. He has already racked up a few wins. He also is trained in BJJ, Muay Thai and Tae Kwon Do, maybe he'll fight MMA. Look for him to get KO'ed soon, but it will be fun to watch while it lasts. At 6'7 200 lbs, he has a great height and reach advantage

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 2:36am

Style: gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare
    They dont suck.

They are just bigger and therefore have to carry around more weight to perform their tasks in fighting. Therefore they arent as flashy and spontaneous as is the case with the lighterweights. Cro Cop and Arlovski arent pathetic with their striking. Crisp punching and kicking. Powerful too. Mir is a heavyweight that is a good grappler.

This thread fucking sucks too.

no..they reeally do suk!!... I think the difference is in form.... imo Aus has THE best figthers........ Euro instruction is bs .wank don't bother, ....US instruction is so-so ......... and if u want it on low profile , no f*ing round just wanna train .....go to Aus.. & u wonder why all those boys got belts you'd cream for ????????................

;) cheers

BL
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast