Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 8:59pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of curiosity, what part of the foot do you all strike with in your side (thrust) kicks. In shotokan karate, we strike with the outside edge of the foot.
    hmm, with side thrusts we'll use the ball of our feet.
    We'd use the knife edge of our feet with a side snap kick though.

So, one of our sensei's is wrong hehe...

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 9:05pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Johnny Fayva says stop posting to this retarded thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 9:25pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OH GOD MY EYES!!!! THEY'VE BURNED OUT OF MY SKULL! AAAAAAGGGGGHHGHHHH!!!!!!

How am I still typing? Homekeys, baby. Homekeys.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 9:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KSWolf
    If the sidekick is such a good kick to use in a fight, how come I never EVER see it used in bar/streetfights or competitive fighting?

To use a side kick well your have to turn your body first. Whereas a roundkick can be executed while turning your body. Also a front thrust kick doesn't require a body turn at all. If you turn your body first you're not square thus making it difficult to throw punches from either hand. This really limits your options.
    Because nobody really trains them well enough to use them. It's a "hard" kick. Nobody wants to put the effort into learning how to do it and do it right. If it can't be done in a few weeks, then it's not worth it to them.

Genki Sudo uses them a lot and he's my hero.

And secondly, I don't know how you're doing your sidekicks but I can execute mine while facing forward, perhaps I just don't have hip joints anymore.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 9:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you ever say "Genki sudo does___ and therefor it is a good technique" you have mush for brains.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 10:56pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by evilgollum
    Actually, in a side kick (at least the karate side kick, the yoko kaekomi) you turn your body while executing the kick, so the rotation of the hips adds more power to the kick. After doing a roundhouse, and after doing a side thrust, you would end up in much the same position.
    A front thrust is only good against lower targets, which is fine if your tall enough, or you just want to take ou their knees. However, a front thrust lacks the power of the side thrust because you only have the thighs pushing into the kick, as opposed to a side thrust kick where you have the leg as well as the rotation of the hips.

Out of curiosity, what part of the foot do you all strike with in your side (thrust) kicks. In shotokan karate, we strike with the outside edge of the foot.
    How do you get any power from the rotation in a backleg (i'm assuming that's what you mean) sidekick. you bring the leg up as you rotate around, but then the leg gets thrust out. Therefore the force is not directed along the path of rotation. That makes this a linear kick. And a lot of power can be derived from a front thrust kick because you drive through your target with your hips as well as your thighs. I'm not saying a sidekick isn't powerful. I'm saying it's slower, telegraphed more, and takes away other options. For example you can start a front kick, and because you're squared to your opponnent switch to a jab cross combo. Once a sidekick is started where do you go from there? I realize a roundhouse takes away similar things, but it's a much faster kick than a side kick because there's no stopping your rotation to finish with a thrust, so you can recover faster.

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 11:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Side Thrust Kicks in Shotokan

Quote Originally Posted by KSWolf
    How do you get any power from the rotation in a backleg (i'm assuming that's what you mean) sidekick. you bring the leg up as you rotate around, but then the leg gets thrust out. Therefore the force is not directed along the path of rotation. That makes this a linear kick. And a lot of power can be derived from a front thrust kick because you drive through your target with your hips as well as your thighs. I'm not saying a sidekick isn't powerful. I'm saying it's slower, telegraphed more, and takes away other options. For example you can start a front kick, and because you're squared to your opponnent switch to a jab cross combo. Once a sidekick is started where do you go from there? I realize a roundhouse takes away similar things, but it's a much faster kick than a side kick because there's no stopping your rotation to finish with a thrust, so you can recover faster.
    With a side thrust kick (for side kicks in shotokan we have side thrist and side snap) we bring the leg up in a chamber/coil just like it would be for a front snap kick, then thrust the leg out while rotating the support foot away from the target ( tot he outside), which in turn rotates the hips, which adds power to the kick. For example, If I am in a standard fighting stance with my left leg forward, and I am going to do s thrust kick/side kick with my right leg, I chamber my right leg, so I am standing fully on my left leg, then I simultaneously (sp? gag I'm bad) rotate my supporting foot 180 degrees counter-clockwise, which causes the hips and torso to also rotate clockwise, while the leg thrusts out in a strait line.

As for the side kick to the knees comment, you are right. It was simply a moment of careless typing on my part. I would just not use a front thrust in a sparring situation. (In my experience with shotokan, we actually don't attack the knees at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormoran
    hmm, with side thrusts we'll use the ball of our feet.
    We'd use the knife edge of our feet with a side snap kick though.
    So, one of our sensei's is wrong hehe...
    Well, they could just use different variations. I've trained under both Sensei Nishiyama's and Sensei Nakayama's students, and I've seen a world of difference (at least in terms of shotokan)

I could put up a video with somebody doing a shotokan side thrust kick, but how do I post videos? Otherwise I could just put a up a link to the web page with the video on it.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 12:24am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anyone seen San Da fighters throwing side kicks? I haven't seen them thrown much here in the U.S. but in China those guys throw some pretty powerful sidekicks with their lead leg. I saw one guy knock his opponent out with a lead leg sidekick right in the face.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 12:32am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    Has anyone seen San Da fighters throwing side kicks? I haven't seen them thrown much here in the U.S. but in China those guys throw some pretty powerful sidekicks with their lead leg. I saw one guy knock his opponent out with a lead leg sidekick right in the face.

Side kicks are still seriously gay
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    1/28/2006 12:46am

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc
    I don't know how you're doing your sidekicks but I can execute mine while facing forward...
    You are actually executing what I like to call a retarded front kick.

Congratulations, you have won a FAYVA award.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast