232725 Bullies, 3320 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 121 to 124 of 124
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. TehDeadlyDimMak is offline
    TehDeadlyDimMak's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,199

    Posted On:
    1/31/2006 7:07pm


     Style: Sanda, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We just train them on heavy bags etc. a lot.

    You'll find it works wonders in comparison to some TKD schools that never throw sidekicks against anything but air.
  2. losttrak is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    348

    Posted On:
    1/31/2006 7:16pm


     Style: Mizong Quan, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter
    Sidekicks can be power-efficient and used when exausted in later rounds, in fact that is a strategy we employ. We've got them to where we can rely on the form and structure and expend minimal energy with them, but keep landing them and use them to control the fight, especially in later rounds when the opponent should be just as fatigued as you if conditioning is good. What you say is 'generally' true however, and is a big reason why most other peeps are coasting on roundkicks only in later rounds, which makes sidekick even more effective then because they may be not expecting it and often too tired and open to deal with it. also harder to see and catch this sidekick than a roundkick.
    Good points. I am curious as to your methods of conserving energy in throwing the sidekick. Is it just the fact that you train them alot? Are they more like a jab-kick or is it full power? My best kick is the sidekick, so I am curious to learn about your SK methodology. For instance, some people have a scooping sidekick while others kicks "cradle the heart", AKA your typical high-knee Shaolin variety. Lotta waist or mainly snapping out?
  3. Arbiter is offline
    Arbiter's Avatar

    punch-drunk

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    614

    Posted On:
    2/01/2006 3:27pm

    supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by losttrak
    I am curious as to your methods of conserving energy in throwing the sidekick. Is it just the fact that you train them alot?
    certainly part is due to training them a lot,... but much of it is due to specialized training that breaks the kick down into pieces and drills to strenghten specific muscles & reflexes involved in executing the kick. i can think of at least 7 'drills' off the top of my head that we do nearly every class (some against pads and bags, some partnered, some solo 'excercises'), aimed at developing this particular kick. the rest comes from good mechanics, timing, footwork, understanding of how to apply the sidekick in full-contact and good overall conditioning.

    Quote Originally Posted by losttrak
    Are they more like a jab-kick or is it full power?
    can be both, although we mostly train for full power. part of the explosion comes at the end when you can put extra quasi back-kick into it with rotation.

    Quote Originally Posted by losttrak
    My best kick is the sidekick, so I am curious to learn about your SK methodology. For instance, some people have a scooping sidekick while others kicks "cradle the heart", AKA your typical high-knee Shaolin variety. Lotta waist or mainly snapping out?
    high-knee 'Shaolin' variety. can stay fairly protected while pumping the height to clear a high shin/knee block off opponent. lots of body/waist but with snap/pop out and back. think of it like a big piston. at first feels like it will be slower but once you 'get it' its plenty fast and waaay more powerful and versatile that way. if it comes off an already partially extended kicking combo them variations can just snap out from different angles, but the core technique we train is the heart-cradle type. much of what makes it work is the body positions and kicking footwork. can stay neutral with shin block if need be. body position and stance plays a big role in it. we have to be stable against takedown attacks and having kick caught, a big part of the equation.
  4. losttrak is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    348

    Posted On:
    2/01/2006 9:28pm


     Style: Mizong Quan, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter
    certainly part is due to training them a lot,... but much of it is due to specialized training that breaks the kick down into pieces and drills to strenghten specific muscles & reflexes involved in executing the kick. i can think of at least 7 'drills' off the top of my head that we do nearly every class (some against pads and bags, some partnered, some solo 'excercises'), aimed at developing this particular kick. the rest comes from good mechanics, timing, footwork, understanding of how to apply the sidekick in full-contact and good overall conditioning.


    can be both, although we mostly train for full power. part of the explosion comes at the end when you can put extra quasi back-kick into it with rotation.

    high-knee 'Shaolin' variety. can stay fairly protected while pumping the height to clear a high shin/knee block off opponent. lots of body/waist but with snap/pop out and back. think of it like a big piston. at first feels like it will be slower but once you 'get it' its plenty fast and waaay more powerful and versatile that way. if it comes off an already partially extended kicking combo them variations can just snap out from different angles, but the core technique we train is the heart-cradle type. much of what makes it work is the body positions and kicking footwork. can stay neutral with shin block if need be. body position and stance plays a big role in it. we have to be stable against takedown attacks and having kick caught, a big part of the equation.

    Sweet. Thanks for taking the time to post the info. =D
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.