222308 Bullies, 3544 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 111 to 120 of 124
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. AAAhmed46 is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta,
    Posts
    1,996

    Posted On:
    1/29/2006 2:49pm


     Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your right though! I think the roundhouse is eaiser and more practical.

    Just trying to show others that side kicks CAN be used properly in a full ocontact setting.

    i use the roundhouse more.

    In my old school, i trained to use the side kick with great dilligence.

    I now have a great side kick, but i never use it.

    THus, my roundhouse isnt as sexy as i would like it to be. It's getting there.
  2. TehDeadlyDimMak is offline
    TehDeadlyDimMak's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,199

    Posted On:
    1/30/2006 12:48am


     Style: Sanda, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitsuman
    When I was a TKD'er way back when, sidekicks were my absolute bread and butter technique.

    I used them all the time, every angle possible, for everything. I'd use them to judge distance, keep an opponent at bay, kinda like a jab. I'd even "finish" with them.

    I used to skip into them too (you know, back foot crosses behind the front, front leg kicks) with great results while sparring. TKD "point sparring" of course.

    But hey it worked all the time for me!

    Fast foward to sophmore year of college.

    Got into a minor 'str33t' fight outside a bar. I was pretty sober, but the other guy wasnt. i didn't want any **** so I figured I'd nail him in the gut with my trusty sidekick and be on my way.

    Well as it turned out side kicks dont work so well against a drunk guy bum-rushing you. The guy would just eat the kick before I had full extension on it, and kinda run right throught it. very annoying!

    ....but eye opening in many ways.

    point of the story: Sidekicks dont work so well outside of point sparring.

    (the fight was broken up by the guys friends who appologized on his drunken behalf, no real damage was done, and I got laid that night, yehaw)
    I discoverd after joining a Sanda gym that the sidekicks I've seen in TKD, Karate, and most Kung Fu were not the same as the ones in Sanda.

    Sanda guys do manage to make them work.
  3. DerAuslander is offline
    DerAuslander's Avatar

    Valiant Monk of Booze & War

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    18,451

    Posted On:
    1/30/2006 2:10am

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what martial art has the best kicks?

    Boxing.

    Boxing...and Aikido...those Aikido guys kick amazingly...
  4. new2bjj is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,935

    Posted On:
    1/30/2006 3:32pm


     Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Side kicks, which I like, do take an amazing amount of effort to perfect, and do not mix well with most effective fighting stances ( storng hand in rear). But they are good as a knockdown kick in a fight- ie sidekick- knockdown- ground and pound. But in term of cost benefit- the MT round kick is the most effective all around kick- and that's form a former TKD black belt who had plenty of pretty kicks, at one. Two weeks at fairtex, adn I saw the light.
  5. King Sleepless is offline
    King Sleepless's Avatar

    I am a living legend!

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cuba
    Posts
    10,048

    Posted On:
    1/31/2006 2:57am

    supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by losttrak
    San Da/San Shou is a fighting format, not a system... if that is what is being implied.

    Anyways, side kicks are great weapons but I feel a lot of people don't use them because they are very taxing when compared to a roundhouse. When I fought in San Shou, I sometimes used them to win the first round by sniping people. In the 2nd (and sometimes 3rd), I was already looking to conserve and fight more efficiently. Roundhouses are so power-efficient as it requires minimal effort to maintain proper form and execution. Also, they can be more unpredictable and harder to dodge in certain circumstances.
    Like everything it's how you train. I don't see too much of a difference between my side kick and roundhouse. They both have their uses, the side-kick less so.
  6. AikiZenDragon is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    henderson, nc
    Posts
    488

    Posted On:
    1/31/2006 4:29am


     Style: Aikido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido kicks are the best, they are so fast you can't hardly see them at all :lookround
  7. Arbiter is offline
    Arbiter's Avatar

    punch-drunk

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    610

    Posted On:
    1/31/2006 4:04pm

    supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by losttrak
    San Da/San Shou is a fighting format, not a system... if that is what is being implied.

    Anyways, side kicks are great weapons but I feel a lot of people don't use them because they are very taxing when compared to a roundhouse. When I fought in San Shou, I sometimes used them to win the first round by sniping people. In the 2nd (and sometimes 3rd), I was already looking to conserve and fight more efficiently. Roundhouses are so power-efficient as it requires minimal effort to maintain proper form and execution. Also, they can be more unpredictable and harder to dodge in certain circumstances.
    Sidekicks can be power-efficient and used when exausted in later rounds, in fact that is a strategy we employ. We've got them to where we can rely on the form and structure and expend minimal energy with them, but keep landing them and use them to control the fight, especially in later rounds when the opponent should be just as fatigued as you if conditioning is good. What you say is 'generally' true however, and is a big reason why most other peeps are coasting on roundkicks only in later rounds, which makes sidekick even more effective then because they may be not expecting it and often too tired and open to deal with it. also harder to see and catch this sidekick than a roundkick.
  8. Ronin.74 is offline

    霍氏八极拳徒弟

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,468

    Posted On:
    1/31/2006 4:08pm


     Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dim Mak, please explain how the SanDa sidekick execution is different from TKD or Karate? I have seen them used in competition and could tell that their execution was different but haven't been able to figure out how it is different.
  9. Tom Kagan is offline
    Tom Kagan's Avatar

    Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Posts
    5,602

    Posted On:
    1/31/2006 4:32pm

    supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer2
    which martial art has the best kicks
    clearly its tkd but i wanna hear different opinions on this matter

    Oh, so wrong!

    KungFu has the best kicks! From a feint into a slip, and kicking from the hip ... they're as fast as lightning. (In fact it was a little bit frightning, but they did it with expert timing.)

    :owneddanc :owneddanc :owneddanc
  10. TehDeadlyDimMak is offline
    TehDeadlyDimMak's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,199

    Posted On:
    1/31/2006 7:05pm


     Style: Sanda, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    Dim Mak, please explain how the SanDa sidekick execution is different from TKD or Karate? I have seen them used in competition and could tell that their execution was different but haven't been able to figure out how it is different.
    Actually Arbiter just explained it... since I just joined his school...
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.