Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 10:27am

Style: Moo Thai & Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As fate would have it, I actually live across the road from Jan de Jong. They offer Japanese Ju Jitsu, Akido and sword (katana) training. I went to check them out but decided that they weren't what I was looking for for two reasons:
    1. They are very traditional
    2. They are very expensive

They offer 3 memberships

Silver allows you to train only once a week ($50/month)
    Gold allows you to train 3 days a week ($85/month)
    Platinum allows you to train 5 days a week ($125/month)

I don't think there is anything wrong with what they teach, just expensive and a bit strict for my liking. Also the higher memeberships give you discount on seminars, now if I am paying $125 a month I don't expect to pay **** for anything else.

A friend of mine did the womens self-defense course (6 weeks, one night a week). It was ok but I told her she would have to keep it up if she wanted to be able to apply it.

There is FightClub in Osborne Park, they are about $120/month and produce many MMA fighters and there is The Academy of Mixed Martial Arts which I have also heard good things about, but is a touch pricey at $90/month with a $55 joining fee.

Tonight I went to check out Gracie Barra BJJ in Cannington and have decided to join them. It's not that far from the City just an extra 10 mins drive. They offer Vale Tudo and BJJ classes. Fees are reasonable $78/month or very cheap if you join up for a year ($750/year). In addition they train on Tues, Thurs and Saturdays for about 2-3 hours at a time (the others typically offer 1 hour lessons). Saturday is open mat 12-2 and they encourage cross-training in that time.

I'll be joining on 5th Jan and am signing up for a year ($62.50/month!).
    I have done a fairly extensive scout around Perth for a good place to train and these guys get my money, mostly due to thier open attitude on training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 11:33am

Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, that's like....4 other people on these forums besides me that live in Perth!
    I'm amazed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2005 11:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by srichards
    Wow, that's like....4 other people on these forums besides me that live in Perth!
    I'm amazed.
    We should get together. Where do you do Muay Thai?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 4:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Used to train at Phon's (www.muaythaipromotions.com), but stopped because of TEE...then my membership ran out. So lately, I've just been sparring with my mate, but I'm planning on starting back up at Phon's. It's a great place hey. Phon's the man.

Thinking of maybe doing just casual classes of bjj aswell, but I'm yet to find somewhere close...maybe because I haven't looked yet. But I'll get there.
    Last edited by srichards; 12/30/2005 4:46am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2005 7:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained at Phons for 6 years, 3 years then did degree then another 3 years, how long did you train for? Whereabouts do you live, I have recently done a BJJ survey of Perth so I might know somewhere around you.

Phon is a great teacher but he got too expensive for me. I have a hard limit of $80/mo that I am willing to pay for training. Whats he charging now?

Posted On:
    1/03/2006 9:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    Phon is a great teacher but he got too expensive for me.
    It would be good if the website listed the prices. Im curious to know how much aswell.

This is slightly off track but when I used to train at Develerrez (boxing) a few years ago there was no joining fee and if you paid $10 on the Monday you could train all week (Mon-Thurs), otherwise it was $5 a lesson. Chances are prices have increased now. They weren't there to make money (training was there second job) they just love the sport... I wish I could find a BJJ and Muay Thai place like that.

Who is Develerrez? Pat Devellerz was Danny Greens trainer as an amatuer and Rocko Develerrez has trained some good fighters as amatuers such as Ben Cruz.

I have trained at a few other boxing gyms and so have my mates and no one has ever found a better place to train than those guys.

Back on track now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 9:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I only trained there for about 7 months. it was $600 for 7 months when I went there. I started around February '04. Did you train there anytime during that period?

I think I'm going to start just casual lessons there. I met an old friend who told me that they are only about 10 bucks per lesson, which would suit me pretty good.

I live in Sorrento, although it was still convenient being in Northbridge because I went there straight after school (Hale) and just hung around studying until it was time to train. Pretty good because it almost forced me to study.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12