Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 5:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't met a shotokan practioner yet who didn't spar in a tippy-tappy way, but that doesn't mean that some don't spar full contact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 7:00pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shotokan is a mainstream Karate style that does everything other mainstream styles do.
    That means kata, marching up and down in lines doing basics in the air and point sparring/competition.
    Sure, you'll get the odd club here and there who do things a little differently, but the norm is what I said above.

What I think is wrong with Shotokan specifically, rather than the general Karate faults everyone knows about, are:
    • The whole kime concept. This is some bullshit science that seems ingrained into the soul of shotokan. This is where you tense all of your muscles up on the impact of your punch or whatever. I've heard various dodgy rationalisations for this, like it creates a shock that causes more damage or it puts more mass into the strike.
      This of course is bollocks. All it does is train a stiffness into it's practitioners.
    • The one strike, one kill mentality is very strong. Combinations are used in sparring, but are fairly short and the impulse to switch off once you've landed your scoring (killing) blow is very strong.
      This is a virtual guarantee to getting KTFO if you ever try anything else.

Just so I'm being fair and balanced, good things about it are;
    • It's generally cheap, easily accessible
    • Training commonly focuses on simple techniques - snap punch, reverse punch, front kick, roundhouse kick and sweeps. Trained properly, these are all effective.

If you can find a club, that trains and spars hard, it can be not too bad. They are out there.
    The Shotokan club I started out with originally trained and sparred hard - contact was generally harder there than the sparring at the Muay Thai club I go to now.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 10:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    No.Just about every style has its share of infighting.If you ask anyone who has praticed this style you will get different opinions on it.

But the main problem while it was the basis for Kyokushin karate .Much of what you find in Shotokan can be found today in Kyokushin.

That's where the similarity ends between both styles.Once both styles were tought in realistic contact fighting.Today Shotokan has not evolved.If anything it has returned to a 'stay safe' mode of instruction to its students.

Shotokan Karate competes in mostly point-sparring.While Kyokushin has Open-Karate Weight tournaments.

Make no mistake. I have seen some SHotokan guys fight in Kyokushin tournaments. They did very well and had no problem with full contact fighting. Like I said in the other thread labelled "Why Karate Sucks". It all comes down to the individual dojo and instructor. Some are good others are ****. Some train for real fighting, others don't do any sparring at all.

I've seen some SHotokan blackbelts who couldn't fight off a teddy-bear. I've seen some SHotokan yellow belts who smash thick blocks of ice with their shins and scare the hell out of me.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 11:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost

you mean karate sucks for ground fighting? Dayum!
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 11:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shotokan sounds like an umbrella organisation to me. They're all affiliated with the shotokan name but they all train differently and teach differently.

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 1:03am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    I've seen some SHotokan yellow belts who smash thick blocks of ice with their shins and scare the hell out of me.
    Breaking boards and ice is a trick rather than a feat of strength.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 2:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Breaking boards and ice is a trick rather than a feat of strength.
    I'm willing to bet that getting kicked by someone who shin-kicks through blocks of ice would probably still hurt.

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 4:18am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't say it wouldn't hurt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 6:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    Shotokan sounds like an umbrella organisation to me. They're all affiliated with the shotokan name but they all train differently and teach differently.
    If you mean in a JKD type of way, then no.
    There are a million and one Shotokan organisations out there, who all pretty much do the same thing, but disagree in a Peoples Front of Judea/Judean Peoples Front way about minutae of Shotokan dogma.

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 9:14am

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about the People's Popular Front?
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast