resident sick ****

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 1:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Whats wrong with Shotokan Karate

What exactly is wrong with it. On the poll which style do you like to pick on Shotokan was on it, but I don't know why. I looked it up on wikipedia and found something. Is this why some of you like to pick on it?

Today, Shotokan remains a very popular style worldwide despite internal scandals, political infighting, and outright profiteering by some Japanese "masters". These have marred the modern practice for some karate adherents and splintered Shotokan into several factions which claim to be teaching "real" Shotokan.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 1:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No.Just about every style has its share of infighting.If you ask anyone who has praticed this style you will get different opinions on it.

But the main problem while it was the basis for Kyokushin karate .Much of what you find in Shotokan can be found today in Kyokushin.

That's where the similarity ends between both styles.Once both styles were tought in realistic contact fighting.Today Shotokan has not evolved.If anything it has returned to a 'stay safe' mode of instruction to its students.

Shotokan Karate competes in mostly point-sparring.While Kyokushin has Open-Karate Weight tournaments.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 1:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought Shotokan was actually designed as a form of 'safe' PT for Okinawan school children by Funakoshi ? Whereas the core of Kyokushin was that it was all about learning to fight.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The chirldren part I have no idea.But later on in the 40's and 50's in was thought to adults in regular dojo's on the mailand of Japan aswell as in Universities as a martial art.And from reading history of it and other masters Bio's it was one tough style once.

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 1:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funakoshi may have provided a hard workout, but I think he was completely opposed to free sparring and hard contact between students. AIUI, his son wanted to make it a fighting art again, but died too young to see it through.

I've also read that Ohtsuka (Koryu JJ high grade who studied under Funakoshi) who founded Wado Ryu was actually quite skilled, and once stepped in to save Funakoshi from a pasting by an Okinawan called Motobu. Apparently certain Wado lineages still spar pretty hard (at least once a certain grade is reached).

I did shotokan to purple belt and never saw anything other than super-light-contact point sparring. I went to a couple of shotokan tournaments in my teens and there was only point
    sparring. Maybe I was just in a sucky organisation.

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 2:08pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about other dojo's but we certainly don't do any of the touchy feely safe stuff at ours.

I remember when i first started there i asked my mate if i needed my gloves and shin pads, he replied i COULD take them, but the other guys would then have something to laugh at.

When we spar, depending on who we spar with it goes from medium contact to full contact. I've puked up half way through sparring from a few really nice whacks (yaaay, now i can't get my sensei to stop talking about my technicolour kiai's)

I'd really like to see how other shotokan dojo's do their training, if it's as bad as all that point sparring stuff then i'm definately in the right dojo. i'm no fan of point sparring, i managed to beat a huge maori bloke in point sparring once, this guy was three times my size and weight, it would have been like trying to chop down an oak tree with a butter knife in normal sparring.

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 3:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How often do people injure their hands at your dojo ?

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 3:27pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 3:52pm

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    q:Whats wrong with Shotokan Karate?

a: Karate IS kata.
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 4:10pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    How often do people injure their hands at your dojo ?
    I havent come across any long term injuries yet. We'll always walk away bruised but we all know that an injury can only be detrimental to training.

The Sensei damn near had a heart attack when he heard the black belt in the class decided he was going to do a break with his previously broken hand.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast