12/25/2005 12:40pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Report: Hopkins and Jones Agree to Rematch

Report: Hopkins and Jones Agree to Rematch

Fri Dec 23, 5:32 PM ET

BRISTOL, Conn. - Roy Jones Jr. and Bernard Hopkins have agreed to a March 11 fight, representatives of both fighters told ESPN.com on Friday.

The fight would be a rematch of a 1993 bout, which Jones won by unanimous decision.

"I think it's very exciting. Bernard is very happy about it and so is Roy. It's fantastic," said Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions, which promotes Hopkins.

The 12-round light heavyweight fight is scheduled to be shown on HBO pay-per-view, though no site has been selected.

"We have a deal," Jones' adviser Brad Jacobs said. "I have Richard's word that Hopkins is in. And Roy told me, 'Let's go.' Everybody reviewed what was on the table and were able to agree to it."

Hopkins (46-4-1, 32 KOs), who turns 41 in January, made a middleweight-record 20 title defenses before losing by decision twice to Jermain Taylor this year.

Jones (49-4, 38 KOs), who turns 37 on Jan. 16, is a former middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight champion. For a decade he was considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, but he has lost three straight, including two by knockout.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051223/...NlYwN5bmNhdA--

Wow, didn't know Jones was that old!
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 2:13pm

Style: MT (no, not "empty")

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    12 years for a rematch. Yeesh.

Cmon Peace, RJJ fought in the Olympics in '88. That was over 17 years ago.

....actually, that makes me feel really old now.

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 3:58pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, they ain't got nothing else to do. Why not settle the rematch?

Both have losses before retirement, and both are still great fighters. I think this fight could be a good one, and I hope that Bernard Hopkins goes out on a win, and forces RJJ to retire for good.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 9:14pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hopefully they'll take this one last pay day and ride off. Hopkins is 40 and Jones is approaching 40, I don't wanna see these guys take more shots. Boxing doesn't need another tragedy.