Actual Photo

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 3:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanukah Harry
    This is probably not the best place for this but we definitely need a Aeso type "Striking Czar" to moderate this section like a Stalinist Era Russia.
    I hear tale that it is coming soon ... it being a moderator for Strikeistan .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 3:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hopefully it's someone good with solid experience.

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 3:43pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained for about 6 months or so under a MT instructor a few years ago, and I trained with a bunch of Marines that did MT for 4 years off and on, so I'm not necessarily a rank newbie...though I'm hardly in the know.

I figured that since the MT Roundhouse is considered a mainstay kick of the Full-Contact field, that a collaborative thread on the "How Do", and "What is/What isn't" wouldn't be such a bad idea.

In addition, these types of threads could be used as a quick reference to link newbs that flood the "Bullshido" section with "How Do" questions.

So far this thread has received some great advice, so I'd hate to delete everything based on a few complaints about "How Do-ism". Non MT practitioners could definately stand to learn some of the methodology of one of the most highly regarded "Kicking Methods" in MA.

Also, a few glances at Phrost's responses from the "Ronin calls it quits..." thread prompted me to want to do something productive, rather than flood already long threads with "Lineage Wars Suck!" and "My penis is teh huge!".

Even if we nix "How Do" and "Technique Discussion" threads from this point forward, I'd at least like this one thread to be productive and informative.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been taught both methods.

The drop hand method is the more traditional method and does provide protection if done properly.

The hands up method IMO is slightly less powerful but has added protection.

A training partner of mine who is a pro Thai boxer has this insight: He says that if you do the hands down method then you are more likely to get sloppy and not bring the shoulder and rear hand to the chin, leaving yourself open for the cross.

I use both methods depending on the situation.
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 5:09pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancer
    I am half blind, I cannot afford to make that opening, so I don't. I notice no differance in the strength of my kicks that is worth getting punched in the face for.
    1) I was always taught to bring the other hand in front of the face as I swing my arm down, which defends from being punched in the face.

2) If the difference in power is negligible in your particular experience, it's fine for you to kick that way, but don't make a blanket statement like "it doesn't [make the kick more powerful]", particularly when that statement goes against the experience of many highly accomplished fighters and trainers.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 8:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ru-Klas

BTW, I take offense to the statement that only Feedback does MT. What am I, a dancing ninja?

:ninjadanc
    I would never call RedElvis a dancing ninja, he knows his stuff! But a guy who claims his style as Kandi3s and Konf3ctions, well......

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 8:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori

I figured that since the MT Roundhouse is considered a mainstay kick of the Full-Contact field, that a collaborative thread on the "How Do", and "What is/What isn't" wouldn't be such a bad idea.

I absolutely agree with you. My point was that you should have instead called it a thread on "Round House Kicks." Then everyone could contribute EXACTLY what they feel they know, about the style that they train, or have trained in the past. Instead of having everyone offer their own interpretation of what a Muay Thai Round house kick is, or might be, and then qualifying it with a "but then maybe I'm wrong" sort of an out.

I really like Canuckyokushin's recent posts and comments, I think they're very interesting, and don't really care if he's describing traditional Muay Thai, Kyokushin Karate, or something else.

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 8:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, i considre this forum and this thread a great idea.

Form an article Ive read in an MA Magazine, by a spanish MT instructor and competitor.

Basically, as has been posted, there are two ways of arm positioning while doing the roundhouse.

One, called the "French school", you extend the arm of your kikcing leg towards your opponent, in a way that shields you front getting a cross counter. The other hand should be protecting the side of the head.

The other, called the "Thay school" is the one in which you swing the arm down to get the extra force. The other hand is raised in a adiagonal manner, to protect the chin. Your arm should be crossed around you r chest and face, holding the hand in front of your chin.

Now, I usually, do the "Thay scholl" for mid to high level kicks, and the french for low kicks.

also, I usually bent my body so, at the time of the impact, Im almost completely perpendicular to the target. I find that I generate more power that way.

Ill apreciate input on this.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 9:55pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A mod would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    1) I was always taught to bring the other hand in front of the face as I swing my arm down, which defends from being punched in the face.
    So was I- my coach throws the hand down when he kicks- but for my poor reaction time one hand is insufficient.

2) If the difference in power is negligible in your particular experience, it's fine for you to kick that way, but don't make a blanket statement like "it doesn't [make the kick more powerful]", particularly when that statement goes against the experience of many highly accomplished fighters and trainers.
    Point taken.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 11:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the way we are taught is to throw the arm across the face and then down and back for a high kick, but for low kicks i try to keep my guard up. you dont need the extra stability when you are kicking low and it is a lot easier to get a face full of punch than if you are doing a high kick.

if you suffer from something that makes your experience of a technique completely different to that of the majority, dont pass it off like its a fact that -you- are doing it right and other people have it wrong. that makes you look like a clownboat.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast