Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 2:38pm

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reese
    Perhaps you haven't sparred people who will capitalize on it yet.

1. It's telegraphed.

2. It's S L O W.

3. It's easily countered.

I'm just trying to help you out.
    It's worked for me so far... but I'm hardly a higher level player (still a colour belt)... so my compition isn't the most talented.

How should I use it? Is it just the back kick in general... or is there a problem with the technique (the way I do it). I'm assuming I can work on the speed and the fact that it's telegraphed with practice. What do I do to telegraph it? How is it countered easily?

[Carbon]

I've been booted in the head before. we usually have head gear on. So my bell has been rung. Of course it's not in the constant danger a boxers chin would be... so I still need to do that... and hopefully I'll be doing it in future matches...

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 3:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

zombies are coming

Don't worry; getting hit in the head hurts, but there are at least visual hallucinations...

Please, from now on, keep your hands up. Think of it as a new focus. Otherwise he has a better fighting posture than you: (source)

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 4:22pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HEY HEY HEY IKKEN AND KNIGHTMARE - guys, not everyone is a pride pro like you two. <snort>

He posted video asking for honest help - let's not turn this into a TKD vs the world thread. There's one of those going anyway right now (OK, I haven't checked, I'm just playing the odds)

The low hand is a bad habit a LOT of people have and it will slow your transition. Even if you want to adapt to the TKD game specifically, it needs to be higher. The chin thing is probably you looking to "look over" your opponent - you're reaching for every inch of height.

You teach new people to bounce around mostly so they don't stand flat footed, but you're bouncing when you're too far away and could be laying back, and forgetting to stay mobile when you're close and need to fight.

There's nothing wrong with a back kick if it's set up well and you can do them well, but you shouldn't lead with one and expect it to hit.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2005 8:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    .... The chin thing is probably you looking to "look over" your opponent - you're reaching for every inch of height.....
    Expalin this please. Don't know what you mean...

There's nothing wrong with a back kick if it's set up well and you can do them well, but you shouldn't lead with one and expect it to hit.
    I usually don't lead with it... but often try to conunter or add it to a second kick in a combo...

I have occasionally hit with a leading Back kick... but I would just tap, and not really do much... so I have to really start cutting alot of them out and do alot more turning (roundhouse) kicks.

As I found out in my last tourney.. the one kick ko game does not work for me...

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 12:43am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HEY HEY HEY IKKEN AND KNIGHTMARE - guys, not everyone is a pride pro like you two. <snort>
    He posted video asking for honest help - let's not turn this into a TKD vs the world thread. There's one of those going anyway right now (OK, I haven't checked, I'm just playing the odds)[quote] its a good thing you are here to get your panties in a bunch on slyders behalf, who seems to be taking it all in good humour. as I guessed he would. no one here thinks they are the hot ****, just pointing things out.

for the back kick, i think the reason you werent landing it was in your setup. every time you threw it, the other guy would have seen it for miles. persnally im not too big on that kind of kick because when you throw in punches to the head it gets painful when you miss. my old coach though had a very nasty turning back kick, bu when he threw it he stepped out to the side beforehand. try that instead of just coming straight in

It's worked for me so far... but I'm hardly a higher level player (still a colour belt)... so my compition isn't the most talented.
    this is what pisses me off about colour ranking systems that dont have you spar higher ranks. you dont learn. i think every club needs a guywho operates at one speed in sparring- someone experienced enough to give your ass a goddamn hiding but also experienced enough to make sure you dont get completely pasted. I have only ever been knocked over 3 times all by him. even in interclub matches that hasnt happened. fighting guys who do the same mistakes as you do retards your learning.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 1:25am

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydermv

How should I use it? Is it just the back kick in general... or is there a problem with the technique (the way I do it). I'm assuming I can work on the speed and the fact that it's telegraphed with practice. What do I do to telegraph it? How is it countered easily?
    You shoud use it as a counter kick or a stop kick.

Use the back kick the moment your opponent moves forward for an offensive kick or step or shuffle back to avoid the initial attack and throw the kick during the opponent's recovery phase.

The kicking leg should push itself off the floor towards the opponent.

The entire kick from start to finish should be one smooth motion.

The arms and waist counterbalance is essential to make this kick lightning fast.

It is countered by sliding just out of range and delivering a round kick during your recovery phase or sidestepping and kicking you as you deliver the kick or thereafter.

Once you start the back kick it is very difficult to abort or otherwise change.

The series The Science of Taekwondo Fighting is probably the best series in the world today to dial in your sparring.

The good thing about those tapes is that you can use the concepts for nearly all standup fighting.

Also something to think about is the fact that it is easier to lower the hands than to fight gravity to guard the head. as you progress you will encounter people who will kick you in the noggin and also if you happen to fight outside the dojang the first thing people will do is headhunt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 2:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Ikken Hisatsu]He posted video asking for honest help - let's not turn this into a TKD vs the world thread. There's one of those going anyway right now (OK, I haven't checked, I'm just playing the odds)
    its a good thing you are here to get your panties in a bunch on slyders behalf, who seems to be taking it all in good humour. as I guessed he would. no one here thinks they are the hot ****, just pointing things out.

for the back kick, i think the reason you werent landing it was in your setup. every time you threw it, the other guy would have seen it for miles. persnally im not too big on that kind of kick because when you throw in punches to the head it gets painful when you miss. my old coach though had a very nasty turning back kick, bu when he threw it he stepped out to the side beforehand. try that instead of just coming straight in

this is what pisses me off about colour ranking systems that dont have you spar higher ranks. you dont learn. i think every club needs a guywho operates at one speed in sparring- someone experienced enough to give your ass a goddamn hiding but also experienced enough to make sure you dont get completely pasted. I have only ever been knocked over 3 times all by him. even in interclub matches that hasnt happened. fighting guys who do the same mistakes as you do retards your learning.
    In the dojang... I spar higher ranks... (more skilled players)... just in compition they keep you at your level, until you start fighting with the black belts (where there is usually a huge descrepancy between fighters,m as some people get their blacks in only a few years and some have had them for a 10 or more)...

The ref for that fight... for example... has kicked the **** outta me a few times... and my opponent was a black belt... of course we weren't going full out to kill though... or to point... or whatever.... heh

I'll look into coming in on an angle with the spinning backs... never tried that before... but I'll prolly cut them out unless they are a tail end of a combo or a counter kick anyways. I tend to rely on them too much... and telegraph them as stated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 8:20am

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when kicking, try to generate some power. Dont just go for the point

Village Idiot

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 1:23pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How the hell are you going to bring a spinning back kick in at an angle?

To me that doesn't make sense, that is like saying bring the sidekick in at an angle. I would say, just practice your spinning back kick, that is all it takes.

Practice, and hard work.
    I'll make one when I can find one I like.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2005 1:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UltimateGaijin
    when kicking, try to generate some power. Dont just go for the point

Errr... I was. You don't hear those loud slappy sounds for nothing my friend! :chewy:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast