Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 12:16pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Punch trading drills

Trading punches is always a good way to start class.

This can be done from just about any stance that isn't some classical sideways mess. Bare in mind I am taking this from an MMA class whose striking is built around boxing and MT.... and since these are all punches well I guess I didn't need to bother saying MT.

Trading jabs. Assuming both fighters are standing with their left forward. Your partner jabs, parry with the right hand and bob right- you should be coming to the outside of your opponent's arm. Once he recovers, you jab.... rinse and repeat.

Add a cross. Partner throws jab, parry in the same manner. He follows with a cross, weave under it and to your left, you should get right under that punch and come back up ready to return the combination.

Add a hook. After the cross you've just ducked under, your opponent throws a lead hand hook. Your right arm covers up the side of your head and eats the punch.

Beginners will naturally be flat footed there on the mat and just go back and forth, as you get more comfortable circle with the drill, try to go both directions.

This is the sort of thing that just needs video, I'll try and get one up for ya.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 1:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by katsu
    here's an idea: why not one partner throw four punches and one blocks ,two on each side, and than swich off. that would make more sense to me.
    shut the **** up ... you do Aikido .. you dont know anything about striking ... bitch go to the Aikidohippy forum .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 8:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's one that ties in with the kicking thread and that annoying rear hand. I noticed there wasn't a single pic on the entire thread with the rear hand in place to truly protect the face while kicking....bear with me I am on the right thread here...

Simultaneaous jabs.

Someone has to kind of lead this drill and someone follows even though it is not apparent from the outside. Both partners circle for a bit and when the "leader" feels the time is right he throws a jab but the "follower" does simply parry or slip but rather jabs straight back.

Both partners end up jabbing essentially at the same time. You slip off to the right with your right hand (palm out) intercepting the the other guys jab. Both peoples jabs land at the same time.

Then the other guy decides when the next punch will be thrown.

This teaches people:

- counterpunching.
    - how to protect against counterpunching.
    - focus and reading an opponent as you are supposed to avoid any particular rythmn or timing and you don't know when the other guy is going to punch.
    - slipping.

The main thing it teaches you is that the answer to anyone's attack is . . .. ATTACK! I use it to try and break people of the habit of defend--->attack. and teach them to simply attack.

Then the drill can be mixed up with double jabs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next drill:

Start off same as before but with only one person leading and the other following. is. don't switch leaders after every punch. Just keep doing jabs for a bit. Periodically, the "follower", the guy not deciding when to punch intentionally drops his lead hand on the way back from the jab. It is the responsability of the "leader" to answer this with a jab-jab-cross or jab-cross combo. The "follower" should still be able to protect his head as before with the rear hand except that when the cross comes he will need to lean back a bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With both of these drills it is good to mix in a little practice in just covering up in front with both arms. Keep the elbows tight together and thumbs of both fists pointed at your own face as you bring your forearms up together vertically. This is the signal for your partner to rain down the hardest 1-2 combo he can muster at your face. If your elbows are tight together he will most likely punch straight through your arms. If your arms are too low, he will make your own fists punch you in the face.

You need to find that structurally strongest part or your forearms. The meaty part, and block with that.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 9:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a rather simple drill.

Get into boxing stance. Since this is just a 3 punch move.Start with the Left-leg in front. 1) Jab with your left. 2) Power punch with your right…

…. and 3) move to the left of your partner to the H position while still facing your partner. 4) Hook punch to the ribs (kidney).

New people who start out in MT/Kick-boxing are considerably out of shape and tend to drag their feet on the floor while they manoeuvre to the left of their opponent. If not that then they tend to move only their left leg further out and instead of hooking the punch it looks more like a reach around.Also they leave the inside of their leg vunerable to a kick.

Sorry about the reprensation.I only have paint to work with.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2006 11:03am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we had a drill at the club i trained with for a while. put one guy up against a wall. another guy in front of him. the guy on the wall can only block, parry, bob, and weave. the guy attacking can only use his hands.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2006 5:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we actually do this at my club as well as well as a variation involving mats.

at the end of a session we'll sometimes drag out three mats (the kind with velcro fastners on the edges) and arrange them so that if we were to add one more mat it would describe a perfect square. One person stands in the the space where the fourth mat would go. This is your crease and you're not allowed to leave it.

the idea is that you face an opponent whose job is to make you give ground and back onto the mats behind you or force you forward, out of the crease. They can use kicks and punches but not shoving or wrestling. Your job is to prevent them from making you leave the crease. With nowhere to go it forces you to get decent at slips, blocks and effective counters. I like it since its a fun way to wind down a class and prevent people from constantly using space to avoid their opponents instead of getting comfortable being inside. sometimes that space doesn't exist and when it doesn't you should have the technique to avoid being punished.

GE

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/18/2006 12:01am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sucks being a southpaw- makes these kind of drills almost impossible to do :D

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/20/2006 2:07am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    Simultaneaous jabs.

Someone has to kind of lead this drill and someone follows even though it is not apparent from the outside. Both partners circle for a bit and when the "leader" feels the time is right he throws a jab but the "follower" does simply parry or slip but rather jabs straight back.

Both partners end up jabbing essentially at the same time. You slip off to the right with your right hand (palm out) intercepting the the other guys jab. Both peoples jabs land at the same time.

Then the other guy decides when the next punch will be thrown.

This teaches people:

- counterpunching.
    - how to protect against counterpunching.
    - focus and reading an opponent as you are supposed to avoid any particular rythmn or timing and you don't know when the other guy is going to punch.
    - slipping.

The main thing it teaches you is that the answer to anyone's attack is . . .. ATTACK! I use it to try and break people of the habit of defend--->attack. and teach them to simply attack.

Then the drill can be mixed up with double jabs.

I sometimes do sparring just with the left. Your right is not allowed to leave the chin area. Should be done with left foot forward.( Let the southpaws use the right punch only, right foot forward.)

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 10:04am

supporting member
     Style: MMA, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dai Tenshi
    Add a cross. Partner throws jab, parry in the same manner. He follows with a cross, weave under it and to your left, you should get right under that punch and come back up ready to return the combination.

Add a hook. After the cross you've just ducked under, your opponent throws a lead hand hook. Your right arm covers up the side of your head and eats the punch.

Dai:

I usually try to slip the cross, then weave the hook.

Just wondering why you duck under the cross.

Does it leave you open to a left uppercut ?

PS: Do you miss Hirakata?
    The vast Universe!
    The Way of Aiki to to become
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

:gaygay:

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2006 10:12am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing terminology in English isn't my strong side so I wonder if some nice person could describe the difference between weaving and slipping?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast