Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 10:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all do not go to LI Ninjtisu, they teach ju jitsu despite the name and all there best teachers have trainiing in other styles like boxing etc. There's a decent Kickboxing/MT/Sanshou school in Middle Island on 25, Middle Country Rd.
    This is the website: http://ssj4veggito.tripod.com/ringof...rver/id28.html

Now I hesistate to say this but, I take Enshin a full contact striking style which in practice and competition will use throws. Now it's taught out of a gym, Aspen Fitness, which if you're from the area probably you've passed this a hundred times.

Some classes are very intense as we compete in tournaments, think kickboxing and not boardbreaking and kata style tournaments. It's a very small class maybe 3 - 4 students at most. The problem is that even though it's a small class we may not be able to cater to your particular needs, and a school that has more students and therefore more instructors might be able to accomodate you better.

There is a class Monday at 8:30pm I would suggest you take a look at the class and see if you like it. I would also suggest you actually take look or a free class at all those schools you listed as well as the kickboxing school I mentioned, and if yiou enjoy striking don't be turned off by boxing, there is a very good school in Bohemia called HeavyHitters. Also I would also check out Tiger Schulman's as they are very accomodating as far as physical ability goes, and participate in several forms of competition.

This is the website for the school where I train:
    http://www.enshinnewyork.com/

As for grappling there is of course the Kioto schools:
    http://www.kiotobjjny.com/kiotobjj-l...-schedules.htm

I really hope you are serious and not a troll.

I also forggt about another good school, Evolution Combat, it's a straight up MMA school in Rocky Point, the guy who runs it is a Kioto BJJ Blue Belt, and goes to Thailand to learn Muay Thai, I don't know his record off the top of my head though, I do know both he and his students do compete in MMA competitions.
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 12/25/2005 12:14am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 11:10pm

Style: Enshin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanukah Harry
    Now I hesistate to say this but, I take Enshin a full contact striking style which in practice and competition will use throws. Now it's taught out of a gym, Aspen Fitness, which if you're from the area probably you've passed this a hundred times.
    l.
    ^This.

Seriously, go learn Enshin and put down the Naruto manga.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 12:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wataru, as much as I enjoy Enshin, I would really suggest that you and anyone else try other schools before deciding on one school alone. I've checked out many schools on LI and because there are so many it's very easy to just pick the first one you go to, you may miss out on a school that may have nore to offer you, what ever that is.

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 12:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None....yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, yes, I'm serious. I'm not some 15 year old, pimply faced geek who just read the latest Naruto manga (I'm partial to Initial D myself) and wants to throw down with some otaku no jutsu. I've had an active interest in martial arts since I was a child, but I could never get my parents to enroll me into any classes (classic "I don't want you fighting" excuse). Once we moved to NY, they still wouldn't enroll me, then between high school and work, I couldn't find the ammount of time I wanted to dedicate to properly learning martial arts. I tried a TKD dojang and it didn't really work out. Got to green belt before the inter-dojang politics caused the place to fold, and I haven't seriously trained since. Now, I'm at a point in life where in a few months, I'll actually be able to dedicate the time I need to properly train.

As for why I want to train? Well, there's multiple reasons. First and foremost is to teach myself self-dicipline and give myself better focus. Even at work, if I'm at all idle, or I'm doing something that doesn't require much mental focus, my mind wanders and I become easily distracted and it bothers me. Second is to get into better shape. I'm 6', 200 lbs, so I'm not huge, but I'm no prize either. The third reason is just as simple as I love the martial arts and it's something I've always wanted to study.

Harry: I checked the site out and I'm rather interested. Once the holidays are over, I'll head down to Aspen and check it out. Do you need to be a member of the gym to take classes, and if not how much do classes cost and is there a contract? Also, what does a typical class usually consist of, just so I know what I could potentially be walking into.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 1:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You do not need to be a member and it's about $60 a month, no contracts. Class usaull conists of a light warmup, then drills in the air, ie punches, kicks, basic techniques and combos, then we'll do 2 man drills, we'll either do a something new or a something we've worked on before. If it's something we've practiced before I will expect my partner to make me work the technique, so that I will actually have to parry the punch and really get that throw, if it's something new then we'll work on just getting that technique down. Maybe we'll get some sparring in, since there are only a few of us we will rotate partners so that everyone is sparring constantly.

Now my favorite classes are when we do conditioning, we take turns punching each other in the chest and stomach, kicking each other in the legs and sides, duck walks, holding a heavy bag in a horse stance, while someone kicks your inner thighs. Wheel barrels, bag drills, it's really great.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 1:37am

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been meaning to ask you.Are there any Katas in Enshin?And is there a link anywhere that shows Enshin Katas?Just curious!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 1:48am

Style: Enshin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanukah Harry
    Wataru, as much as I enjoy Enshin, I would really suggest that you and anyone else try other schools before deciding on one school alone. I've checked out many schools on LI and because there are so many it's very easy to just pick the first one you go to, you may miss out on a school that may have nore to offer you, what ever that is.
    I realize this, but I'm not in any position to be choosy, at the moment. :icon_chee

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    12/25/2005 1:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes there are kata in Enshin and I can't find them online anywhere. I've asked Evil Asia, and he couldn't find any either but he said he may have them on Video tape somewhere. Enshin kata is different than other kata I've practiced in that, it's more like a drill than stance practice. I still think it's as useless as kata practiced in any other art.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12