Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 9:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None....yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

newb looking for a good dojo on Long Island...

Hiya, really new here, just stumbled across this site roughly a day ago and figured I'd drop my first post instead of lurking for ages. I've been studying martial arts for a while, got to green belt in TKD before the place went under, and that was five years ago. After getting life in general sorted out, I decided to look for a new, non-TKD dojo to study at. Problem is, I live on Long Island, and there's a fuckton of martial arts schools around here. I was leaning towards the L.I. Ninjutsu Centers, but I'd rather get insight from multiple people before I go and make a solid decision. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 10:22pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You de-lurked to ask if you should train in Ninjutsu?

Seriously?

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 1:27am

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about ninjutsu, but there's a place I would go if I was on Long Island:
    http://www.serrajitsu.com
    Matt and Nick Serra

Tomas

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshiro
    Hiya, really new here, just stumbled across this site roughly a day ago and figured I'd drop my first post instead of lurking for ages. I've been studying martial arts for a while, got to green belt in TKD before the place went under, and that was five years ago. After getting life in general sorted out, I decided to look for a new, non-TKD dojo to study at. Problem is, I live on Long Island, and there's a fuckton of martial arts schools around here. I was leaning towards the L.I. Ninjutsu Centers, but I'd rather get insight from multiple people before I go and make a solid decision. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.
    Current stage of death: denial

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 2:50am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenshiro
    go to serra-jitsu, it's expensive but worth it.

I train there and I promise not to hurt you (badly) though I should, for even thinking about becoming a ninja

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 2:52am

Style: BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take it from me, don't take Ninjutsu.

If they fight, hit each other hard and focus on practical techniques and encourage cross training and doing things outside the Dojo, then maybe give it a try.

But 90% of the Ninjutsu Dojos out there suck. Well, the teachers do.

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 2:57am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For this holiday season when for the 5th year in a row I'll be celebrating christmas I'll pay homage to my jewish heritage for the development of words that lend themself to being very expressive. Oy gevalt.

In case you hadn't noticed, Long Island is pretty freaking big. You're going to have to specify at least a few things before anyone can even begin to help.

Where on the island are you and how far are you willing to travel?

I hate to pimp my own stuff, but I think I did a pretty damn good job on this post http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...050#post786050 and think you should read it then come back and ask questions again. I would also suggest searching the forums for mentions of Long Island, although I don't know how helpful that might be to you because you didn't mention your location. It's still probably worth a shot though.

In short, do your homework then get back to us.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 11:46am

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    try www.mma.tv/schools

i agree with drummer boy. i too would be training at serrajitsu if i lived in long island.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 11:51am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    look on MartialArtsNY.com

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 10:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None....yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right, sorry about the lack of information in the original post, as I got stupid and attempted to make a coherent post after a long day of holiday madness at work.

First, I live in the Selden/Centereach area, pretty much right in the middle of the island and I'm willing to travel up to a half an hour to get to my dojo. I'm looking for a dojo that'll focus on striking, although I'm not opposed to a school that'll teach grappling as well. I'd also like to find a place that has a good emphasis on sparring as I'd like to possibly compete in local tournaments when my skills get to that level. I'm not looking for something as intense as BJJ or MMA in general, having had open heart surgery almost immediately out of the womb, I'm not looking to keel over in the middle of a hardcore training session. I'm more interested in something a bit more traditional. That being said, I've come across a few possibilities that I'll list here:

United Martial Arts Center
    Empire State Karate
    Kempo Martial Arts
    Long Island Ninjutsu Center

Anyone who has had dealing with the schools listed, good or bad, I'd like to hear from you. Also, anybody with alternative suggestions, I'd welcome those as well. Thanks again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2005 10:39pm

Style: BJJ, TKD, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why do you want to train in the martial arts?

lets start with that, because I'm having trouble understanding your motivation.

Also, sparring of any kind can be dangerous for a person with your medical history.

anything what gets your heart rate up could be a problem....

you could always roll (spar) in BJJ in a very relaxed way...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast