Chemist

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 11:50am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sankaku Jime vs. Triangle

Since the club I go to is a hybrid Judo/BJJ club, I wanted to know if those of you who strictly practice BJJ ever perform the triangle the Judo way as the classical sankaku jime, and if not, why not. I often times perform the sankaku jime whenever I end up in that position and I don't really ever go for it, but it often presents itself when someone is escaping my back mount or trying to escape out of a high mount. Or if I'm trying to triangle someone from underneath, they stand up and I sweep them to mount with my legs still in that position. I understand that the concept for the two moves is the same, ie the head and one arm inside, but the execution is different for the legs. In the triangle I'm trying to triangle my legs by getting my ankle under my knee, and in the sankaku jime I'm actually scissoring my legs out and crossing my ankles. My success rate with sankaku jime is pretty good but I don't roll with many submission masters either. Do you BJJ guys learn this, and is there a BJJ name for it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sankaku.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	4714  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triangle.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	4715  

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 12:31pm

Style: BJJ blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whenever I don't get my legs triangled properly, with the ankle in the crook of the knee, people escape all day. This is usually when they are kneeling in my guard , however. Im not sure if it would make any difference in the situations you posted, but the triangle just seems alot tighter to me.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 12:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The two photos look to be different to me? Yes, it is tought the way you have it in the first photo. The second photo looks to be the typical bjj way though, no? THe only difference is he's starting to fall over.

I learned the first one as a counter to an armbar escape. Never thought of it as a traingle though.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 12:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will add that the first is hard to pull off on people with any grappling experience. At least it is for me low percentage anyway. You may have the shiznit down pat where it is an effective technique.

Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 12:43pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never finished another of note with a "triangle" where only my ankle are crossed. This applies from any position, since I get them from side control, rear mount and north-south. Backwards or forwards, I've always had to lock a real triangle, unless 1) they are really new or 2) dumb luck.

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 12:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    I've never finished another of note with a "triangle" where only my ankle are crossed. This applies from any position, since I get them from side control, rear mount and north-south. Backwards or forwards, I've always had to lock a real triangle, unless 1) they are really new or 2) dumb luck.
    Now that I think about it the only times I have made this work was on a nOoB. This makes it even lower percentage for me then. Like .02%

But hey, I have some chessy moves that work like a charm for me all the time. Well, once per person anyway.

:smileinbo

Some jack in the box type ****!

Chemist

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 12:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ru-Klas
    The two photos look to be different to me? Yes, it is tought the way you have it in the first photo. The second photo looks to be the typical bjj way though, no? THe only difference is he's starting to fall over.

I learned the first one as a counter to an armbar escape. Never thought of it as a traingle though.
    ya, the first one is the classical method where you pull their arm across their neck to finish the choke, the second one is me when someone falls over in my triangle

but... more to my question, you guys never do any triangles where you just cross the ankles and scissor your legs outward? Do you not do it because you know it doesn't work or because you were never taught that way?

BTW: this scissor leg/crossed ankle method ONLY works for me from this particular position, just to be more clear
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 12:50pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've finished triangles with a single leg by holding their collar and pulling for the other half of the choke. Hilarious, but not my "A game".

Chemist

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 12:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you mean a cross collar? I've done that too, but not on purpose

Posted On:
    12/23/2005 1:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Te No Kage!
    but... more to my question, you guys never do any triangles where you just cross the ankles and scissor your legs outward? Do you not do it because you know it doesn't work or because you were never taught that way?

BTW: this scissor leg/crossed ankle method ONLY works for me from this particular position, just to be more clear
    This is how I learned that move. Same position but the guy is defending an armbar where you are on his side like this. You then get the leg in and scissor with the legs or ankle crossed. Not effective and easy to counter for my own tastes but I know a guy who is quick enough to pull this off. It generally only works one time though to someone who has never seen it. More of a surprise tap then a I'm gonna pass out tap. Does it work good for you?

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast