233390 Bullies, 4000 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 1:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, just re-read the ground fighting faq and discovered I'm a dick, sorry. I wasn't trying to stir up **** between Judo and BJJers though; my motivations for my questions are thus:

BJJ really interests me. I look at the guys who do it successfully and see not the 'typical' wrestler, huge, people who look like they spend 7 days a week gorging growth hormones and bench pressing fire engines, the archetypal 'meathead'. I see long limbed, wirey guys, guys who look kinda like me in fact (but fitter :P). The technical aspects also really fascinate me, Iíve seen BJJ matches between two skilled players described as something akin to a game of chess, well, I love chess!

Now for my problem. BJJ schools spread slowly, mostly because of the arduous requirements of gaining rank I'm guessing. A black belt is guaranteed to know what he's doing, unfortunately they're very rare around my neck of the woods and there probably won't be any reputable schools here for quite some time. So, what I want to know is, will Judo give me a decent grounding in BJJ, will the stuff I learn doing Judo be applicable at all? There are several clubs in my area, all are BJA clubs so will probably be decent. The one I'm interested in is a W. Yorks Police club though; as I think they'll be less focused on the sport aspects of Judo, and more on the real self defence applications. Guess I should be asking them really, but I just wanted to make my reasons for being so inquisitive here clear. I'm not a **** stirrer, just someone who is genuinely curious.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 1:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's some funny ****.
    Love kanibasami too though.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 5:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not only will it be applicable, but after going Judo for a while you will probably find you can take down BJJ whites and blues more or less at will. They will, however, often make you regret it. Try not to pick up the habit of turtling to stall out groundwork and you'll do fine (in a less competition focused club this could be less of a problem).

Disclaimer: my Judo knowledge consists of getting repeatedly uchi-mataed by one who I've occasionally trained with, and interweb reading.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 12/29/2005 5:05am at .

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/28/2005 10:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds very personal.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234